Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 6:41 pm by VanRougeT4

» another pic for you all
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 5:54 pm by peewee norfolk

» pic for you all
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 5:53 pm by peewee norfolk

» 11m conditions
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

Keywords
9900 power lincoln ss9900 anytone call supply yaesu 2023 list Sirio software meter Baofeng display Mobile chart callsign frequency president Mckinley 6900 antenna ALINCO sign 2022
QRZ Database

Leisure Batteries

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 8:07 am

As above title.
Been around cars and trucks since i was 11 so 50+ years but never looked into batteries.
Recently fitted a 12v diesel night heater to my shack best thing i have ever done and don't know why i didn't think of it before.
My question is.
Did have it powered off my 60amp power supply but bought a 120amp Leisure battery and running it from that for 3 or 4 days now.
I have a smart charger connected and was going to run that 24/7 but changed my mind and setup a smart plug thing to charge at night.
The battery was fully charged before fitting it and showing 12.6v when heater running and slowly dropping to 12.5v.
Now after a few days the voltage is getting better and up to 12.7 and staying there a lot longer.
So do these batteries get better after a few recharges as it looks that way but i don't know.
A bit long winded sorry.

Edit
Forgot to sat this charger shows the volts and stuff when not powered up as long as it is connected to a battery.
Even shows the room temp smart or what lol.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 10:14 am

Hi Alan,

I know with my AGM battery backup it showed 12.5 Volt (75% charge) from new and jumped to 12.7 Volt (100% charge) after it's first charge. I then mucked about setting up my backup system so the battery sat stored for a while and when I got back to it again it was showing 12.5 Volt so appears to have discharged whilst stored.

On the first few cycles of trickle charging it would get to 12.7 Volts and the smart charger would standby kicking in again every time the voltage dropped which at first seemed quite frequently but after a few cycles seemed to be far less often. I can only presume this was due to some sort of chemical reaction occurring in the battery and never ventured into "knowing all there is to know". Wink

Now the battery just sits around the shack useful for many projects and every so often I bung it on trickle charge but it never seems to drop below 12.5 Volts with such a sedentary lifestyle.

Unfortunately the other battery sat stored out in the cold workshop didn't fair better and has lost it's capacity which had me 'schooled'. Very Happy

There's a ton of info out there Alan (especially on caravan sites and argumentative forums thereof) and you can dive right into it. I only found out enough to make sure it all 'works' and been happy about it. Leisure Batteries 1f44d

glenn dog and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 10:45 am

Thanks for the reply Victor.
When i got it i left it on charge foe 24+ hours but the charger stopped when it was full screen showed full after a few hours.
It just seams to be getting better and better every day after the night time charge.
Not complaining just never had this type of battery or even watched the charging if that makes sense.
Others on here have mentioned they had this type just wondered if the same happened with there's.
Nice 24c in here getting a bit warm will have to turn it off again for a few hours.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 11:09 am

No worries Alan just doing my best to help if I can. Leisure Batteries 1f44d

Perhaps others more knowledgable or have some experience of leisure batteries can add some input.

Glad you're keeping yourself warm in your wonderful shack. Smile

(24'C is a bit toasty! I'm comfortable at far less.)

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 am

Best thing about it Victor is it comes with a remote.
Press the button make a coffee walk out of the house and unlock a toasty warm shack.
What more could you want at 4.30/5am lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi Alan i have an optimate trickle charger that i use for my bike and it is on for most of the winter without a problem  Smile

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 1:45 pm

Lionel.
Thanks for the reply.
The battery getting better/stronger ??? is what i don't understand.
My smart charger does it's own thing and is fully charging the battery at night.
The heater once fired up draws very little power it's just the first 4 minutes when the glow plug is on that draws around 8 to 9 amps.
Never watched a battery meter before but as the days go by this battery is holding up better and better.
It all works and i am warm out here in the back garden and that is all that matters lol.
And it costs peanuts to run on kerosene happy day's.
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 1:50 pm

not to worry summer is coming SLOWLY  Laughing and i also have a dehumidifier in the shed and that keeps everything nice and dry  What a Face

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 2:32 pm

I am in the shack from silly o'clock in the morning 7 days a week.
Snug as a bug in a rug and dry as a bone as they say.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 9:30 pm

Temperature will affect the voltage reading on any battery.

For instance I have 50AH LIFEPO4 in the shack and during the very cold snap
before Christmas, -7C here, the fully charged battery dropped from 13.5volts to
12.9volts. At this voltage you would think it is at 20% charge but it is not.
Soon as the cold snap faded the battery was back at 13.5volts, fully charged.

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 9:37 pm

Batteries are certainly affected by the weather it pays to keep them well charged during the winter months otherwise you can come unstuck  Neutral

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 7:06 am

It's the same today as yesterday so i think it needed a few charges to reach it's full potential sort of.
The battery is outside the shack in a wooden box lined with inch polystyrene or whatever it's called the stuff that makes a mess of white bits if you snap it.
This is of my own making as i was going to put the charger outside in the box with the heater in but changed my mind but if i had i would of never seen any of this voltage/amps stuff lol.  
Thanks for all the replies guy's appreciated.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Webasto car, truck heaters are used a lot over here in Finland, great to go to a nice warm car when its - 20, But allso Finland has been putting oil sump heating in car for many years, mains lead at the front of the car, one cable goes to the engine area, and one into the inside of the car, so you can plug in a car heating unit. Many car parks have mains power on posts at each bay, at work place, hospital and at your own home, the inside supply is great to power up the cb radio with your power supply,
Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 3:08 pm

Photo informationLeisure Batteries Screen10Leisure Batteries Screen10
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 3:56 pm

Hi Glenn
Yes i have the Webasto diesel heater in my bmw x5.
Unfortunately the remote doesn't work any more but on a cold morning it will fire up as soon as you get in the car and the heaters are blowing hot air in a minute.
I drove trucks many years ago and used night heaters many times just don't believe i never thought of fitting one in the shack well it's in a box on the outside but you know what i am saying.
A m8 video called me a couple of weeks ago when we had sone very cold well for us it was cold weather and he couldn't believe i was sat out here in a T-shirt lol.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leisure Batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leisure Batteries   Leisure Batteries Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leisure Batteries
Page 1 of 1