Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT callsign please (Issued)
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» EU conditions have started
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeToday at 2:19 am by babis3g

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:58 pm by VanRougeT4

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» 11m conditions
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm by babis3g

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
yaesu chart ALINCO 2022 Sirio Mckinley software 6900 display frequency Baofeng anytone callsign power supply antenna 2023 sign ss9900 list meter president call lincoln Mobile 9900
QRZ Database

I've gone and done it now

Go down 
+4
DerekF
Victor
Kanai Lad
13oots2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

I've gone and done it now Empty
PostSubject: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 11:17 am

Managed to break my mobile phone the other day and was due an “upgrade”, so went with a phone that was a little worse than the one I broke. Having got my old phone repaired I have sold the newer one, so had a few quid to start looking on eBay for a cheap ham radio. I spotted an Icom IC-735, that seemed to have had an easy life, so pulled the trigger, even though I haven't taken my exam yet, I guess I will just be listening until I take the exam. I know it is old school, but I think it will serve me well until I can afford something a little more Gucci.

Being the resident insomniac here, have been up all night reading up, and it appears that wide banding the transceiver is quite a simple mod to do. Although saying that, I would be hesitant to mod the set as it has had one careful driver since new. I would only be modding it to transmit on 11 m, it almost seems a shame to alter anything. As I said before, it might be old school, but I am too.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kanai Lad
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Kanai Lad

Call Sign : 26CT329
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Alford
Equipment Used : All sorts

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 11:50 am

Welcome to the money pit  I've gone and done it now 1f606  I've gone and done it now 1f606
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 3:44 pm

Hi Mark,

Well done with your recent acquisition and I hope the old girl serves you well.

I'm a fan of the older radio tech myself loving my Yaesu FT757gx, but although it was given to me in good faith from a dear friend I had to repair quite a few faults on it. (None involving replacement of 'caps' and I ain't getting into that argument again on here! Wink )

There's definitely something to be said for a simple flick of a switch or twiddle of a physical knob than scrolling through menus on more modern radios.

Now that my very own 'old girl' is in fine fettle I have no plans of upgrading her anytime soon. I know I'd only regret it if I was ever inclined to 'trade' her in.

Enjoy the radio and more importantly enjoy yourself. I've gone and done it now 1f44d

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 11:50 pm

Good luck with the exam.
Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2023 11:51 pm

apologies, commented on wrong post
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 8:10 am

Have been flicking through the online manual, it seems quite a capable radio. Some of the instructions aren't making too much sense to me now, I am sure it will all become clearer when I get it. I am really pleased it has a phono socket for push to talk, that will be useful for my MFJ 1026 noise reducer.

I should get it tomorrow or Friday and will finally be able to scratch that itch, it will be even better when and if I pass my exam.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2023 6:56 pm

I went and bought two baufeng 70cm hand held radios and charger there both 400 470 mhz and they work ok i say money
well spent
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 1:55 pm

The Icom arrived this afternoon, was very pleased with the condition. It all came in the original box with some of the original protective plastic in place, it also has the manual, brochure and purchase receipt. Even the battery is working after all these years, so it has probably been replaced.

A quick test on 11 m shows it has been wide banded, so that saves me the faff of having to take it all apart.

Am currently listening to mid-band and am getting some Americans, I must say it sounds so much better than my CRT 9900 and much prefer the dial method of tuning in. I am very pleased that I got it and look forward to my ham exam.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 3:13 pm

Exciting stuff Mark and glad to hear you're already enjoying your new radio.

If anything it will give you the biggest onus to get that Ham ticket. I've gone and done it now 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 5:27 pm

I use widebanded HF radios on 11m due to sound quality amongst many other reasons...

It's like using a Rolls Royce compared with a Reliant Regal..

Enjoy the Icom..

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 9:02 am

Fantastic stuff Cozzmik,I would and will do exactly the same thing.As the only decent filtering on my 9900 is a paper bag over your head.👍🏻
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 2:26 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
Fantastic stuff Cozzmik,I would and will do exactly the same thing.As the only decent filtering on my 9900 is a paper bag over your head.👍🏻

I know I shouldn't compare S meter levels, but the Icom is about 3 S points down in noise compared with my 9900. The notch setting knocks things down another couple of points not a fully featured noise reduction like the filters in modern radios, yet it does an admirable job.

Victor and Cozzmik like this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 6:21 pm

I had been a little wary of using the IC-735 for transmitting on 11m, due to its age I was a little concerned the frequency had drifted.

I had a frequency meter arrive along with a 15W dummy load on Friday. Have just tested the Icom with it and frequency is bang on. I know the transceiver has been wide banded and despite being about 35 years old seems to have been really looked after, the memory functions, so battery is good.

It sadly has a big scratch down the left side, have bought some T-Cut to try to blend it in, that is unless someone here has a better idea. What would you use to blend in a scratch?
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 4:39 am

13oots2 wrote:

It sadly has a big scratch down the left side, have bought some T-Cut to try to blend it in, that is unless someone here has a better idea. What would you use to blend in a scratch?

I tried doing a scratch on my first radio, an FT 790.

Soon found out I wasn't much of a sprayer and matching that colour was another game. Rolling Eyes 

Anyway enjoy the radio the scratch doesn't stop it working.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 6:42 am

I sprayed the top of a yeasu not long ago ??? well last summer.
Used satin black and it looked good as new didn't need to do the sides fantastic match.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 6:52 am

I have a big ass historical scratch on the top of my Yaesu FT757gx (right through the top print!) but never once considered it to be a problem. 

Instead I spent my efforts in repairing, restoring and aligning it for proper operation that being a bigger priority for me or anyone really. (The old girl is serving me well too. I've gone and done it now 1f44d  )

As Mike points out the fact that it's all working as it should is the biggest plus.....no point in a shiny good looking radio if it don't work.
(I've seen too many "restored" radios with awful respray jobs or over enthusiastic polishing and the damn things are still off-frequency! Wink )

Up to you though in the end.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot and Cozzmik like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've gone and done it now   I've gone and done it now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've gone and done it now
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: HF Radios 0-30Mhz-
Jump to: