Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
ss9900 lincoln frequency anytone callsign list meter Sirio president yaesu power Mckinley 2023 sign supply 9900 6900 software Mobile 2022 ALINCO chart call display antenna Baofeng
QRZ Database

I couldn't wait

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 12:47 pm

Have done some thinking about my purchase plans for an Icom IC-7300 and decided it was too expensive, and I wouldn't use half the features.

Whilst trawling eBay this morning I saw a nice condition Yaesu FT450 with built-in antenna tuner for a good price, I also got a box of tricks to get me up and running on digital modes. I mainly chose it for it's DSP functions to see what that is all about, yes it is missing a waterfall, since I am using digital modes I don't see that as a huge problem. In the end I have saved about £450 over purchasing the 7300 and can splurge on friends 50th as she needs cheering up.
Back to top Go down
richf
Contributor
Contributor
richf

Call Sign : 163-CT-067 GW0HDY
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Cwmbran, SE Wales
Equipment Used : FT450D FT818ND QCX MINI

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: Re: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 5:33 pm

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 450. I have had one since the 450d came out, Would I buy another one - Yes.
I did have one problem with one of the 3.5mm sockets on the front, the one for the key (the headset is the same).
The socket failed and would not make contact with the plug. I had it professionally repaired and was informed that some of the sockets used in assembly were "garbage". (I am not going down that road - I don't know). What I tend to do is to use an extendable lead and leave it in all the time so I am not connecting plugs and disconnecting them more than needed. Some folk say the audio is not very good but I think if you get to grips with the DSP you will disagree with them.
Every one to their own but I prefer qrp these days - thats my choice - and I get more satisfaction making contact that way Good antennas and technique. I don't know what is in your box of goodies and whether you have a digital interface but the products from G4ZLP Electronics probably have the best spec you will find.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: Re: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 6:31 am

The FT450 and the interface arrived yesterday, after a little cursing and fiddling finally got it to all work with data modes. The ears on the radio are amazing and am having to use the 20db attenuator, receive is better with it on than my KN990 with pre-amp on.

Only problem I am having is the waterfall in JTDX only displays about 750-2600 portion of the band. Have played around with the DSP and that only seems to restrict the band more. Any suggestions or settings I need to adjust to get the full range?

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: Re: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 7:20 am

Good to see you're mostly set up now Mark. I don't know that model, but on my Yaesu I have a receive bandwidth control that I open up to 3000 (kHz) as was set at 500 by default. Do you have a similar control? I'm sure Richard or one of the other 450 users will be able to point you in the right direction if it does have that control.

Good tip Richard on using extension leads, for anyone using any radio who wants to prolong any socket's life.

Mark, do let know what bands become you fav / most worked on digital and I will listen / look out for you. I do keep a watch on callsigns popup hoping to work CT members but haven't been overly successful yet.

13oots2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: Re: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2023 8:36 am

Thanks for the bandwidth tip, I now have it sorted out.

I tend to use 30 and 20m the most and managed to work Alan on 30m the other day, was more than a little chuffed with that one Very Happy

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I couldn't wait Empty
PostSubject: Re: I couldn't wait   I couldn't wait Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I couldn't wait
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: HF Radios 0-30Mhz-
Jump to: