Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
call 6900 Baofeng ALINCO list antenna display power lincoln callsign yaesu sign frequency 2022 ss9900 Mobile president supply 9900 2023 Mckinley meter anytone software Sirio chart
QRZ Database

xphase qrm eliminator

Go down 
+2
Victor
richard,ct3112
6 posters
AuthorMessage
richard,ct3112

Call Sign : 26CT3112
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : ilkley west yorkshire
Equipment Used : 6900n/major 3000fm/ silver rod ant

xphase qrm eliminator Empty
PostSubject: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 am

has anybody used an xphase qrm eliminator? does you aux antenna have to be near your main antenna? i,ve really bad qrm on my radio all day, buzzing and pulsing making radio use almost impossible. any help or advice most welcome..
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 11:56 am

Hi Richard,

The x-phase and other QRM killers do work to various degrees, (when set up properly, they're flipping marvelous!)

Your main problem is that they usually have a PTT, (push to talk), control circuit to switch over the TX/RX bypass. Not a problem with Ham gear as they have such control outputs but CB's usually don't. If you transmit into such a unit without it you're likely to make it blow.

That being said I have seen people hook up a manual switching arrangement but that's going to become rather tedious.
I've also seen people modify them to 'auto-switch' on TX much like a preamp does, not the best solution as you'd better be putting low power in it.

With that, the best advice I can give you is to make sure your own property isn't the source of your QRM woes Wink

I hooked up my rig to a 12 volt battery, turned off the house mains and a lot of my QRM disappeared!
Took some hunting but landed up throwing away two cheap phone chargers and much to the annoyance of my XYL one of those "plug-in smellies" Very Happy
Some clamp on ferrites were also used on my Samsung TV and the home PC reducing the noise even further.

I still have some noise problems, more than likely neighbours equipment but I can't be bothered with the politics and dancing involved with 'neighbourly love' disputes. Heck, all my antennas are loft hidden affairs and no one knows I have radios......that way I don't instantly get blamed for TV/satellite/internet/phone or other such nonsense interference complaints (???!)

There's a ton of information and YouTube videos about tracking down QRM, all helpful stuff.

You could also do what many others have discovered......put the rig in the car and drive away from 'civilisation'. Not much QRM atop a lonely, quiet, rural hillside Smile

All the best,
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 pm

How well they work can depend on some extent to the receive antenna the unit is using. The Aux antenna doesn't have to be near the main antenna.

The MFJ 1026 is a similar idea.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 2:32 pm

A bit of separation is helpful for a couple of reasons - first so that you don't cook your phasing unit with the RF coming out of your main antenna (I know the MFJ boxes use a lamp internally as a "fuse" against this happening, but it's not foolproof - I picked up a "dead" one with the bulb blown and a transistor shorted) and secondly so that there is some clear phase difference between your "wanted" signal and the QRM reaching the box.

The problem is that for a lot of us with "urban" QRM - LED lights, solar panel inverters, leaky broadband etc - there are multiple sources coming from different directions and you can't guarantee a box can take all of them out (because they arrive with different phasing in each case). But the Xphase gets decent reviews and if you can find a source pre-built (there are lots of kits) they seem a lot cheaper than the MFJs.
Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Ikea LED lamps 240 volts and cheap phone charger were my big RF problem, now replace the lamps with better made lamps and phone charger in the bin Razz
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi Glenn,

Amazing how bad some of those LED lamps are. Yet they still seem to get away with "CE" marking them!

Back to top Go down
richard,ct3112

Call Sign : 26CT3112
QTH or Location : ilkley west yorkshire
Equipment Used : 6900n/major 3000fm/ silver rod ant

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 5:36 pm

the qrm source is definetly not from my house. more tha likley solar panels across the street. got an xphase from e-bay in post whtch has auto rf switch so dosent need ptt switch. i hope it solves the problem.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm

You'll have to let us all know how you get on Richard. May be helpful to others.

73's

Back to top Go down
Gandalf2

Call Sign : 26-CT-3246
QTH or Location : Harlow
Equipment Used : SS 6900, SS 9900, Lincoln 1

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi, The x-phase reduction units do work when set up correctly and are particularly
useful when they have the auto rf switch and used on the standard CB radio's etc
and are used on the FM and AM bands. How would you use them for SSB radio's
like the SS 6900's and SS 9900's etc that dont have a PTT connector and can't use
the auto rf switch.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: xphase qrm eliminator   xphase qrm eliminator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

xphase qrm eliminator
Page 1 of 1