Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking google      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» New Member call sign request
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeToday at 9:53 am by StevieG

» First Contact
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeToday at 7:58 am by Alan - Mirror Man

» Waiting For Santa
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeToday at 7:46 am by Cozzmik

» My first contact was a disaster (help)
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeToday at 7:00 am by Alan - Mirror Man

» Forgot Log In Details
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 am by Pagan

» SELLING UP after 3 days
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:55 pm by STARSHIP

» Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:34 pm by John123

» New Member Introduction (Issued)
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:25 pm by John123

» New Member Introduction (Issued)
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:39 pm by GaryWilson

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Vote_lcapgainmaster - HW Gainmaster Voting_bargainmaster - HW Gainmaster Vote_rcap 
Matt86
gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Vote_lcapgainmaster - HW Gainmaster Voting_bargainmaster - HW Gainmaster Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
Firetrap
26cz455
Andybron
rabbi
Sgt Bilko
mickyboy
GaryWilson
Keywords
Wales ALINCO ss9900 request lincoln Calling president Mckinley radio Sirio alan power midland sign list Mobile callsign division file members 6900n yaesu antenna Buxton Baofeng frequency
May 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 53 users online :: 14 Registered, 1 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 1 Bot

Alan Pilot, BigTone, Frisco, GLENN FINLAND, Joburgtaxi, MarkWilson, MV Communicator, NUBSTER, Padrick, pj73308, Sgt Bilko, StevieG, Sydthecat, TRUCKER79

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

HW Gainmaster

Go down 
AuthorMessage
woodworm

QTH or Location : West Sussex.
Equipment Used : Alinco DX10, CRT 9900, Jaws Mk 11 and HW Gainmaster

gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Empty
PostSubject: HW Gainmaster   gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeFri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi Guys.

Just got a new Antenna, decided on a new HW Gainmaster.
Took it out the box and put it together. On the tuning section it gives the lengths for the tubes so i set it at 27.5 which i thought was
be nearest for the UK 27/81 Band. Going by these measurements i am left with about 5" of the radiator cable out the top, too much
to push down in the tube without bending it.
Decided to ring the shop where it came from and they said just extend the tubes to take up the excess cable and not to bother with the chart.
Done that and got it on the mast and got my ladder down. When i checked the SWR i was getting just under 1.5 on the uk 21.
Now i know that is an acceptable SWR to use but on all my previous antennas it has been nearer to 1.1.
What i would like to know is if i take it down and set the tubes to the length given in the tuning chart , will that SWR reading come down,
also if i do, how do i solve the issue with the excess cable on the top, or shall i just use it as it is and use a tuner/matcher in line.

Has any one else had that issue with a Gainmaster, and help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: HW Gainmaster   gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 6:20 am

Hi Steve,

What is it reading at 27.5? Channel 21 on the Muppets is 27.8 so 300k up from there, I would expect the SWR to be rising a bit. The plastic tubes are only there to support the radiating element so just changing their length alone won't change the SWR.

To be honest 1.5 is a more than acceptable reading so if you spend most of your time on the U.K 40 and it's not high on any other part of that block I'd leave it there.

Best 73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
stephen Gunrunner

stephen Gunrunner

QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX
Equipment Used : ss9900 mass dx 5000 sirio 4000hp sirio 5000 turbo trimag tti 801 crt7u

PostSubject: Re: HW Gainmaster   gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 1:39 pm

if you have allot of spare cable just remember that when its up in the air and the big winds come ,it will bend every were
and the extra long cable will be good, as if its short and tight then when its bends puts pressure on the cable,, and with a little slack will not affect how the antenna works lots up my way do this and its saves the coax been stretched and it will give up after a while,
Back to top Go down
woodworm

QTH or Location : West Sussex.
Equipment Used : Alinco DX10, CRT 9900, Jaws Mk 11 and HW Gainmaster

PostSubject: Re: HW Gainmaster   gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitimeSat Feb 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Firstly, thanks for replays, you got me thinking now.

Now relying to Gary, yes, 1.5 is perfectly workable, so with the time it takes to get the ladder up, getting the Antenna down, then put it back up, its fine left as it is so probably going to leave it as it is.

Moving on to the reply from Stephen, i can see why the cable needs the slack especially with the winds we have had recently but where does the cable go. Going by the chart that Sirio give i had about 3 to 4 inches of cable out the top. The brass top will still go on with the cable coming through  and the grub screw can be tightened, no issue there. Only thing is that the rubber top wont go on, other option keeping it in the tube is a no no, because there is to much cable to get back in the tube without having to bend it and risk damaging it.

Cheers Guys and again thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HW Gainmaster   gainmaster - HW Gainmaster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HW Gainmaster
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: