Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
ss9900 display supply meter 2023 9900 power lincoln 2022 sign Baofeng president list ALINCO software frequency callsign antenna chart 6900 anytone Sirio Mobile Mckinley call yaesu
QRZ Database

Coil or not to coil coax

Go down 
+3
NUBSTER
BigTone
Javelin Jim
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Javelin Jim

Call Sign : 26-CT-3427
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Ashford, Kent
Equipment Used : Intek H520 Plus using an Albrecht CL27 TNC Rubber Duck (Not ideal

Coil or not to coil coax Empty
PostSubject: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi,
I’ve another question about setting up a Silver Rod.
I’m mounting it temporarily in my garden on a six foot pole with view to permanently concreting a longer support pole in the future, subject to the neighbours and ‘er indoors permitting.
With this in mind, I was considering making the coax run to the length where I finally want to mount the antenna.
Would coiling the excess length (approx 3-4m)at the antenna end affect the performance?
I could cut it to the length I need now then extend using connectors when I do need the extra length.
What do you guys think?
Cheers Jim
26 CT 3427
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Nope, shouldn't do.
Connectors out there are a point where moisture can get in and ruin your coax
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 8:09 am

While i have no idea if it affects Swr coiling my coax was necessary one time as i wanted to do a similar thing to you..

Swr was fine but i had no idea if it could of been affected coiling it as i had no reference point to check..

Try and see is always my advice....
Back to top Go down
Javelin Jim

Equipment Used : Intek H520 Plus using an Albrecht CL27 TNC Rubber Duck (Not ideal

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 10:29 am

Hi,
I love waffle...! Waffle is good, I am also a huge waffler...😊
Thanks for the advice guys.
Cheers
Jim
26 CT 3427

Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 1:41 pm

The choke is to stop RF on the OUTSIDE of the braid (Common mode current)
RF travels on the surface of a conductor and on coax, there are 3 surfaces.
(1) The core (the centre conductor)
(2) The inside of the braid
(3) The outside of the braid

Common mode current (mainly) is a pain but there is a use, the lower leg of a coaxial dipole (T2LT) The choke defines the length.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
Do not coil it up either that will effect SWR of the antenna

Sorry but that is wrong and your entire post explaining it all is wrong. If it does alter the SWR it is because you've a poor RF ground so your coax was forming part of the antenna system.

Quote :
anyway we was told when you put up the homebase antenna the coax had to be cut to certain lengths because of the wavelength and to get a perfect SWR

....because the coax was making up for the missing ground plane so altering its length either by cutting it or coiling it up thereby creating a RF choke affected the tuning. Unfortunately next to no CBers understood this so it became an old wives tale you had to have it a certain length for low SWR.

If changing the length or coiling the coax alters the tuning of the antenna then it's telling you you've got a problem with your RF ground at the antenna.

Last edited by Northern Crusader on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Javelin Jim wrote:

Would coiling the excess length (approx 3-4m)at the antenna end affect the performance?
I could cut it to the length I need now then extend using connectors when I do need the extra length.
What do you guys think?
Cheers Jim
26 CT 3427

No it shouldn't do but you can put that extra length to use. Find something that's 110mm/4.25" in diameter (ground waste pipe is spot on) and wrap 5 turns of the coax round it as near to the end that goes into the antenna as possible. This will create a RF choke for 11m which will help reduce the risk of common mode RFI which causes interference on received signals, distortion on transmitted ones and the dreaded TVI.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 8:15 am

Buy the full length of coax now and coil it up. The reason for not coiling up coax used to be that most people were using horrible RG58 with thin braid which had all sorts of consequences for the behaviour of the current in the coax. One of the effects was that the inner core of the coax started to behave like the turns of an ordinary coil inductor and screw the SWR. Properly screened coax can be coiled, because the inner core is properly screened from the inner core in the next turn of coil and it doesn't "know" it is coiled up.

If you're using a run long enough to go into a garden you probably want to think about RG213 as a minimum anyway, because it is lower loss and much nicer than even the good RG58 some dealers sell now (there is still horrible stuff available -watch out for Ebay etc). You can coil RG213 up happily but try to keep the turns above 8" diameter unless you are making a coil out of it which you never intend to unwind and re-route. You can fix RG213 in turns with a couple of inches radius for permanent fixing.

Avoid in-line connectors and extension pieces if you can - better to overbuy the coax and coil it in the long run than have PL259s and back-to-back SO239s because they are a point of mechanical and electrical failure.
Back to top Go down
Javelin Jim

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Really useful information.
I’m expecting the delivery later today of my gear, so the fun will start, so expect more questions...!
I plan to use around 27.500 to take SWR readings. If I get can that low, I’ll write out a frequency/SWR chart to see how the SWR changes above and below 27.500.
Cheers
Jim
26 CT 3427
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Depending on how enthusiastic and how much you want to learn about antennas and experimenting have a look at the nanoVNA analysers on Amazon. They're about £30 and are much more useful than a SWR meter especially when you put up an antenna and its low SWR point is outside the CB bands. With a normal CB SWR meter you'd only be able to test within the range of the CB it's hooked up to so you could see high SWR on every channel and assume the antenna was broken when in fact it wasn't, it was just tuned outside the CB band.

An example is my mobile installs. I have a very good RF ground but unfortunately manufacturers make mobile antennas assuming there won't be a good one which means they need to be made longer. Adjusting the antenna throughout all its adjustment from shortest to longest you'd see the SWR into the red using just a SWR meter. Using the antenna analyser allowed me to see it was actually resonant about 1MHz below the CB band. 3" lopped off with a dremel and it was 1.0:1 right where I wanted it on Ch19.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 12:20 pm

Talking of chokes, probably one of the best articles out there is this one:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

You’ll see from his graphs why the 5 turns of RG213 on 4” pipe is always cited, and if you can wade through all the complex impedance theory, there’s a good explanation of why co-ax chokes can bite you, having a predominantly reactive impedance.

I run his “designs” on all my HF antennas, usually using either 240-31 or 240-43 cores and LMR200 or RG400 depending on what antenna they’re on.

With regards to the OP, I’d echo the answers above and not cut the coax....just coil it loosely out of the way. The old wives tales from the early CB days will never leave us, I feel.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coil or not to coil coax   Coil or not to coil coax Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coil or not to coil coax
Page 1 of 1