Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hello from spain
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:40 pm by Nuelma123

» Call sign request
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:47 pm by nmasterson

» Call Sign Request
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:56 pm by radar

» CT call sign request
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:58 am by markymark

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:39 am by Nightprowler

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone- New Call sign Request
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

Keywords
lincoln supply 2022 Mckinley display Mobile list ss9900 frequency chart ALINCO yaesu call antenna Baofeng president anytone meter 6900 2023 software 9900 sign power Sirio callsign
QRZ Database

Wire dipole for truck?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Zetorpilot

Call Sign : 56-CT-005
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Imatra, Finland, South Karelia
Equipment Used : Mocomo 59s, Albrecht 6110, SS 9900

Wire dipole for truck?  Empty
PostSubject: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Well the mag mount for my car has arrived, but I'm away working at the moment and it'll be several days before I can get to test it out.

That's got me thinking though about an antenna for the truck. There's no obvious really good place to mount an antenna, and it can't be permanent either as the firm has four trucks and I could get sent down the road in any of them.

The one I'm away in at the moment is a DAF XF with the super mega xxl space cab (or whatever it's really called).

A mag mount antenna would get knocked off within the first few km.

One idea, for evenings parked up, was for a centre fed half wave dipole set up via the sunroof, draped over the top of the cab and slightly down the sides. Could something like this actually work?

I'm having a look around at other wagons parked up near me (in France atm) and all I can see on similar cabs are what look like short VHF or UHF rubber ducks permanently mounted on the sides of the cab roof.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. It would be interesting to have a listen to what's going on particularly as I come to the UK fairly regularly (or did until recently, anyway)

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

J-P. 56CT005

Wire dipole for truck?  Img_2010
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 12:56 pm

It'll work but if it's horizontal it'll be crap for local stations.

I also drive one of those DAFs, albeit the Euro6 CF, and I'm sure everthing on the body above the door is GRP not metal so a Sirio ML145 magmount with a Sirio Performer 5000 that has the adjustable hinge could go on the side of the cab.
Back to top Go down
Zetorpilot

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks, yep I've just checked, you're absolutely right the roof is a moulding. The side of the cab is metal and tbh I'd never thought of using a magmount on a vertical surface but why not, thanks 👍
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 7:37 pm

The only thing I've not done is worked out how to get the coax into the cab without pinching it.

Just as an aside there's a load of RFI generated by the electronics in the middle of the dash area especially round the forward facing collision camera on the windscreen. It even affects my handheld on VHF and UHF. I have a Yaesu FT3DE which has a bandscope and as I moved it away from the centre of the dash you could see the noise floor falling.
Back to top Go down
Zetorpilot

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 8:14 pm

This one I've got at the moment has the basic sunroof that's hinged at the front, so for a temporary evening arrangement the coax could conveniently go out that way. The motor that opens and closes it is easily controlled with the switch so it could be gently closed to minimise the gap without pinching the coax.

Our other XF has an aftermarket additional air conditioning unit fitted in place of the sunroof though. The other two vehicles are FH Volvos, one of which has a sunroof similar to the XF, the other has a hinged hatch.
Back to top Go down
SAM WD40
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
SAM WD40

Call Sign : 26CT747 M0SRW
QTH or Location : KETTERING
Equipment Used : Kenwood Yaesu Alinco

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 11:56 pm

If this is your regular truck I would make up a bracket that fits where the kerb mirror on the drivers door that would be the passenger door in the UK and I’d ground the door down to the main cab
Failing that tell you boss you want a Volvo Wink
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm

For when you're parked up, you could have a telescopic fibreglass pole and roll yourself a T2LT and tape it to the pole. Only takes a couple of minutes to put up and take down
Back to top Go down
Zetorpilot

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions. This isn't my regular truck, we've got two dafs and two volvos at the moment. Much prefer the DAF trucks as there is a lot more living space, we are away 1 - 2 weeks at a time 😄
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wire dipole for truck?    Wire dipole for truck?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wire dipole for truck?
Page 1 of 1