Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hello everyone
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 6:34 pm by stealth 57

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 4:44 pm by SangueG

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

Keywords
yaesu Mobile 2022 chart software display 6900 Sirio president anytone callsign power antenna ALINCO Baofeng 2023 call meter ss9900 list frequency 9900 sign Mckinley lincoln supply
QRZ Database

President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BillMasen

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Co Durham
Equipment Used : President Grant 2

president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Empty
PostSubject: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Been trying for months to get my Pres Grant 2 to operate but no matter where I fit it , EG nin my van or home, no matter what twig I use I cannot get the SWR down. I'm totally baffled and looking around for likely causes. Its never been used operationally though I've had it 3 years because I've never managed to get the SWR under 10.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:35 am

Saw your reply on other thread, cheers Mate. Following SWR instructions to letter that came with SWR meter, I'm starting to suspect patch leads and cable from Magmount, tried Three different CB antenna from Thunderpole including an 18footer, and a based loaded mobile whip.

On and off I've been into CB since 1976 Smile
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am

its steel, Transit van roof 8ft by 6ft
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 8:58 am

Yes mate I'm guessing dodgy ant cable or dodgy SWR meter or its patch lead, Its a bloody nightmare not being able to visit a shop for spares and advise. I appreciate your help.

BTW I just posted another antenna question if your feeling helpful Smile

Bill
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Have you got a multimeter to test the coax for a short.
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Trying to borrow one today, mines bust.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:

It doesn't have to be shorted to give high SWR. The impedance of coax is determined by the spacing between the outer surface of the centre conductor and the inner surface of the braid. Alter that and it alters the impedance of the coax which affects the SWR.

In mobile installs with high SWR coax pinched or crushed where it comes into the car which measures OK with a DC multimeter has led many a person on a wild goose chase.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 6:02 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
Alan Pilot wrote:

It doesn't have to be shorted to give high SWR. The impedance of coax is determined by the spacing between the outer surface of the centre conductor and the inner surface of the braid. Alter that and it alters the impedance of the coax which affects the SWR.

In mobile installs with high SWR coax pinched or crushed where it comes into the car which measures OK with a DC multimeter has led many a person on a wild goose chase.
I did say to test for a short.
That's the first thing i do then test for continuity after that.
Everybody has there own path of fault finding i suppose.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am

Alan Pilot wrote:

I did say to test for a short.
That's the first thing i do then test for continuity after that.
Everybody has there own path of fault finding i suppose.

Neither will tell you that you're getting high SWR because of pinched coax so using those alone won't rule out everything. Ironically you don't need a meter to measure it, you can see it with the naked eye. If the coax is flattened, even a little bit, or it's been bent tighter than the minimum bend radius in the specs then that's likely the reason assuming no dodgy soldered on connectors.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 6:06 pm

A multimeter will tell you if you have the dodgy soldered on connectors as mentioned above.
It will also tell you if you have a stray bit of the outer shield touching the centre cable.
It won't do the swr but will rule out bad connections.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy   president - President Grant 2  is it antenna fussy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Grant 2 is it antenna fussy
Page 1 of 1