Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
power Mobile ss9900 anytone frequency yaesu lincoln president 2023 2022 6900 callsign antenna Sirio meter ALINCO display sign Baofeng chart call Mckinley software list 9900 supply
QRZ Database

Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BillMasen

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Co Durham
Equipment Used : President Grant 2

base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Empty
PostSubject: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Just wondering about improvised earth plains a bit? Everything I see about them usually shows a square or circular shaped metal plate to stand a magmount on , Or 4 equal length radial limbs. is this essential?

I currently have my homebase antenna sat on a 2 ft by 2 foot metal plate in my den, BUT I have an unused 5ft by 10 inch windowsill available I could put the magmount on if I placed a suitable sized lump of metal on it? would that work or screw everything up??
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 8:42 pm

If it's not equal you'll not get an equally radiated pattern in all directions. Say you're using four radials, one points north, one east, one south, one west. If you remove the one pointing north you'll find that signals from the north get weaker by somewhere between 1 to 2 S points.

If you're using a 2ft x 2ft metal plate that's doing next to nothing as a RF ground anyway and it's your coax that's actually working the most as your RF ground.

If your den is above ground level you could put it on the windowsill as you planned and attach a length of wire about 9ft long to the metal plate and let it hang down vertically towards the floor. You've then created a kind of vertical dipole.
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks for that, Nightmare house unfortunately in the best places to put an antenna means the coax would have to travel through multiple other rooms or out, round, down and back to reach the den. and the best place to get a decent ground plain is not suitable for the antenna etc.

I may end up using something like a Thunderpole excalibur halfway up the outside of the house is i get desperate, but I'm not supposed to have external antenna on this estate.
Back to top Go down
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 8:49 pm

The whole this may be a mute point either way because after days of listening at all hours on 27 AM, FM, UKFM USB and LSB I've not heard any traffic.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 7:48 am

BillMasen wrote:
The whole this may be a mute point either way because after days of listening at all hours on 27 AM, FM, UKFM USB and LSB  I've not heard any traffic.

There is quite a bit of activity on 27 mhz atm with Poland,Denmark,Sweden,Norway,Spain,Italy all contacted over the last couple of days.

But i guess your antenna isnt pulling in too well but i will say many of those stations were a good 5/9 sometimes +10 signals..
Being on at the right time can be an issue as propogation can be a fickle thing...
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 am

Indeed 11 meters opened into Europe late saturday afternoon and into the early evening, 10 was dead at just a meg up for me. Success is all about the antenna system.

Unless propagation is very good or you have a bunch of locals to talk to compromised antennas won't cut the mustard anymore.

Bill you might have to look at operating away from home portable when this virus thing blows over. Don't consider the Excalibur it's a very poor antenna.

73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
BillMasen

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:47 am

Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?   base - Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does a home base earth plain have to be equal sided?
Page 1 of 1