Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:53 am by stalker

Keywords
Sirio yaesu 6900 display sign chart ALINCO 2023 meter call Mckinley 9900 callsign 2022 power Mobile anytone ss9900 lincoln frequency Baofeng list software antenna supply president
QRZ Database

The Good Ol' Days

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:54 am

A life long friend ( fellow pirate ) were talking yesterday about the
good Ol' Days,, and we got up to the mid 80s about 84/85 when we crossed to the Foot/Mouth and some of the long range contacts made on FM and the gear we used. Myself I used a Mk1 Thunderpole,,, remember them bloody great thing with a 3 leg ground plane,,, and legal Comron rig,,, yep a bit basic but they worked,, something became very clear all the DX happened between the hours of 2am and 8am,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we put it down the "Fmers" were all in bed. So im wondering is the same true today, if you think about it between say 7am and 12pm just about every electrical item in the country is going flat out.. Are we giving up cleaner air for convenience ,,,, I don't know, and without other like minded nutters ill never know, but im gona try a few early mornings and see what happens.

73s Tom
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Being of the older generation i get up early most days , sometimes 4am to go fishing never really thought about switching the radio on but i will now .
I wish there were more folks on where i live but sadly not many mostly Ham's talking shite .
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 12:35 pm

There seems to be far more interference around from traffic lights,street lights etc giving us grief these days (i cant complain as i get flat zero noise across 11m here) and remember back in the early 80s talking to Watford form here in Sevenoaks Kent using my 6ft firestik in the loft on a ground plane kit and a 4w colt 295...5/5 each way and while i cant remember the womans name i can recall her voice and how well she run the early morning Sunday network..

The nets were something else back then with easily 40 mile contacts made with little effort..

And some of the anticts i got up to on eyeballs with lady breakers would make your hair curl,ah the good ol` days Very Happy Wink Wink
Back to top Go down

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Oh Cozzmik,

That bought back a few memories. Ill say nothing of the ladies Embarassed ,,, Ok well might be getting old but you know what say about tunes and fiddle's.
well like my friend Saltire I get up at silly o'clock to go shooting and fishing. now I have to be fair to the family but im up for trying a vampire net say Saturday morning, no time or channel YET, lets see how many might give it a bash and we can work on the details.

What say thee my brothers are we ready for the zimmer frame or the climbing frame lol
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 5:21 pm

When work settles down and i am not on a call shift pattern i would be up for those sort of antics again.
The last few years in late summer/autumn there was a couple of parrot/repeaters active from Russia and Sweden on the mid band FM during mid mornings letting us down Sarf make contact with you up Norf which was great fun...of course some short hop skip will hopefully be possible too this summer meaning some decent contacts can again be made around the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTZl8Wg6gcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEdi76WfcKE

You have probably seen the above but oh the memories

Defo on the climbing frame..
Back to top Go down

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Oh a smile on your face a tear in your eye and a pain in your wallet,,,,,, but wish we could go back.

Well im not much good at organising and pc stuff so maybe we can get the admin to lend a hand getting things off the ground.

73s Tom
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm

Sounds good to me and I will be more than happy to give it a try.

Stay safe
73's
Dale
26-CT-3550
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm

Cozzmik that antenna in you pic i had one of those but it was called an Avanti Sigma 4  stonker of antenna , my dad went mental when he came home from working away and this monstrosity as he called it was bolted to the side of the house .I caused some amount of tvi back in the early 80's but  looking back it was great fun, best ever was Brasil on 12watts ssb (The wife not me ).
I have a pic of an eyball card which is in a 1981 cb magazine and the blokes name was The Golden Groper  and the picture depicted a girl in stockings bending over a table Laughing .
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 6:45 am

saltire wrote:
Cozzmik that antenna in you pic i had one of those but it was called an Avanti Sigma 4  stonker of antenna , my dad went mental when he came home from working away and this monstrosity as he called it was bolted to the side of the house .I caused some amount of tvi back in the early 80's but  looking back it was great fun, best ever was Brasil on 12watts ssb (The wife not me ).
I have a pic of an eyball card which is in a 1981 cb magazine and the blokes name was The Golden Groper  and the picture depicted a girl in stockings bending over a table Laughing .

The siggy 4 was an amazing antenna and i had a couple back in the 80s but the one in my avatar is my Vector 4000 and a approx 30ft its a beast,not so well built as the siggy 4 but ive put wooden dowling inside each section to strengthen it.
It works well and the locals think it is a ships mast so ive been told..

Golden Groper would be done for sexism nowadays hi hi
Back to top Go down

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 9:08 am

Hi Dale,

Great stuff mate. The more interest we get the better chance we have it getting off the ground
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Good Ol' Days Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good Ol' Days   The Good Ol' Days Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Good Ol' Days
Page 1 of 1