Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
Mobile anytone 6900 Mckinley 9900 2022 meter display supply software frequency lincoln Baofeng Sirio ss9900 antenna call callsign power president 2023 sign list yaesu chart ALINCO
QRZ Database

Coming Back to CB

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pj73308

Call Sign : 108-CT-266
Times Thanked : -3
QTH or Location : Luthermuir Aberdeenshire
Equipment Used : non

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi
I'm coming back to CB after being away for 40 years, so I need to get some equipment.
I'm looking at two radio's
1 Anytone 6666 or a ORT SS9900.
What are your thoughts on my choices?
Do you have any other recommendations?

Paul

Alan slade likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT612
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : West Oxfordshire
Equipment Used : Various SSB sets

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 8:55 pm

I am pretty sure that they are the same radio but with a different name.

Buy the cheaper one Wink

Don't run them on full power on AM/FM otherwise the finals are likely to die, but otherwise they are a very good radio for the money.

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi Paul,

Like yourself, I had a break of nearly 40 years before returning back to the rigs.

The guys on here are very knowledgeable and steered me in the right direction of what equipment to look at....and i looked at a lot.

As Mudslinger says, the Anytone 6666 and the CRT SS9900 are the same 10m radio under a different brand name.

It may be helpful for the guys before they give advice on what radio they suggest if they had more of an idea on what you are looking to achieve?

Local copies, DX'ing, home based or mobile etc.

Regards

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
pj73308

Call Sign : 108-CT-266
Times Thanked : -3
QTH or Location : Luthermuir Aberdeenshire
Equipment Used : non

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Homebase Dxing but mainly listening   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Graeme (RedFox) wrote:
Hi Paul,

Like yourself, I had a break of nearly 40 years before returning back to the rigs.

The guys on here are very knowledgeable and steered me in the right direction of what equipment to look at....and i looked at a lot.

As Mudslinger says, the Anytone 6666 and the CRT SS9900 are the same 10m radio under a different brand name.

It may be helpful for the guys before they give advice on what radio they suggest if they had more of an idea on what you are looking to achieve?

Local copies, DX'ing, home based or mobile etc.

Regards

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Alan slade

Call Sign : 26-CT-4870
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Leighton buzzard Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : CRT 69100

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 11:34 am

Hi Paul just bought a Arial just the other day, not been on myself for 30 years now, but ready to come back into the fold, I’m looking for a rig but always been looking at stuff just not jumped in, 2 years ago they were only £130 maybe a little more, but they still going up in price, madness, but they are both good rigs, I know someone who had the crt and run it max all the time, and still working, but that’s when they were just over £100 so that says it all, but I wouldn’t run it at the top all of the time but that’s me, plus summer here and it’s hot enough, I’ll put a message on this when I get a rig and let you know what I get. Alan from Leighton buzzard near Dunstable sorry red foxtrot
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2023 7:29 pm

Hi Paul,

They are basically the same radio. There are some differences in the versions of them namely the later versions covered 10, 11 & 12 meters instead of just 10 & 11. 

Obviously 10 & 12 meters are amateur bands so unless licenced you can't transmit there but the foundation test for Amateur radio is designed to encourage people into the hobby so easy enough to pass.

They do get hot on full output power but in SSB mode that's not a problem as there is no constant carrier wave. On FM and AM dial it back a bit and there shouldn't be a problem. I've known people to fit cooling fans to the back heat sink to keep things cool. An alternative is 5-10 watts into a linear amplifier and let that do the heavy lifting.

They're fully programmable so very flexible in how you want it set up.

I've often in the past fancied one of these for my shack but I have other radios that do the same thing including my Amateur HF set so never quite pulled the trigger on it.

I'm not a million miles away from you in Leighton Buzzard so hope to catch you on the wireless!

Whatever you choose to do let us know how you get on.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Sponsored content

Coming Back to CB Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coming Back to CB   Coming Back to CB Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coming Back to CB
Page 1 of 1