Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:53 am by stalker

Keywords
supply frequency Sirio list call president antenna 2022 software Mobile sign Mckinley ALINCO 2023 chart ss9900 Baofeng 9900 lincoln meter callsign anytone 6900 power yaesu display
QRZ Database

Triple bazooka?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am

I'm thinking about building me a triple bazooka for 11m DX, after reading a lot of positive reviews about it, especially the wide bandwidth. Is there anyone who is good with NEC software to simulate the radiation pattern? Which setup should i use? V, inverted V, horizontal, sloped? Any help would be appreciated.

Karel
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 6:16 pm

They're crap. I've tried the double bazooka and it was worse than a normal dipole. Unless you're making a dipole with bell wire then it'll have enough bandwidth for the 11m CB band - if you need more bandwidth use thicker wire or use the kevlar antenna wire which has a braid covering a kevlar core. The radiation pattern is the same as a regular dipole.

Inverted V is more omnidirectional, a sloper will be stronger in the direction the lower end of the antenna is pointing

From the website of a company selling it...

https://www.wireantennas.co.uk/triple-bazooka-antenna-27-mhz-dxer
Quote :

"Since this antenna has no exposed metal wire static charges can not build up thus reducing noise by 6dB over antennas constructed of exposed wire.Some additional 'quietness' may partially attributed to the vinyl covering on the coax.
Using covered wire on triple bazooka antennas helps reduce corona and precipitation static."

What utter crap.
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks, just this afternoon i found this website https://owenduffy.net/antenna/DoubleBazooka/index.htm which uses other words for crap Smile . I'd like an antenna which is a bit more directional then my A99 and i don't have the room (or the neighbors) for a Yagi or moxon.

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Simple wire dipole it is then, thicker wire will give you more bandwidth and insulated wire will allow you to reduce the length roughly 4% over bare wire. Being where we are I think i'd be inclined to have one running slightly NE to SW in direction so you'll get Europe nice and strong and the USA when it comes in.

Dipoles are a very forgiving antenna and you can bend the legs as needed to fit in the space you require so you could put it up horizontally as much as you can fit in and then have the rest of the wire on each leg hanging down vertically. If you're really stuck on space then you can bend the angle of the dipole from straight and the directivity will be in the intersection of the angles of the legs. For example if you have your antenna set up with the legs running out horizontal one north to south with the feedpoint at the south end and one running out 90 degrees to the east from that feedpoint like |_ it will be directional north east to south west.

Aim to get it at least 16ft high up, any less than that and it'll lose much of its directivity.
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 4:43 pm

I've downloaded cocoaNec as it's the only NEC software available on a Mac. I have programmed in C 20 years ago (hated it, so became a teacher), so i understand what the program is doing. Modelled a dipole for 27.205 MHz, but now i'd like to try a dual element wideband dipole. I see possibilities in adjustable aluminium tentpoles. This brings me to my question, how do i insert the connection of the coax braid to the second element into this model?
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 am

karelgol wrote:
I've downloaded cocoaNec as it's the only NEC software available on a Mac. I have programmed in C 20 years ago (hated it, so became a teacher), so i understand what the program is doing. Modelled a dipole for 27.205 MHz, but now i'd like to try a dual element wideband dipole. I see possibilities in adjustable aluminium tentpoles. This brings me to my question, how do i insert the connection of the coax braid to the second element into this model?
It seems i was overthinking it a bit, it turns out to be quite a simple model. Now trying for a step down version.

The code:
// DEWD after UR0GT
// Wavelength taken from ant_design.xls spreadsheet
// Also see DEWD.pdf for background
// If length is given a value above 0, 2 separate wires , driven and gedreven with diameter dikkedia must be designed to form a H shape with the tussenstuk piece.
// This, to produce a stepped down antenna, which still is under development

real sl,ll,WL, afstand, dikkedia,dunnedia ;

model ( "dual element wideband dipole" )
{
real height, length ;
element driven, gedreven, tussenstuk1, tussenstuk2, short1, short2, long1, long2, grondgedreven ;
WL=11.02;
height = 5 ;
length = 0 ;
afstand = 0.0365 * WL;
dikkedia = 0.001 * WL;
dunnedia = 0.001 * WL;
sl = 0.1940 * WL;
ll = 0.2610 * WL;

short1 = wire( afstand/2, length, height,afstand/2,length + sl,height,dunnedia,21);
short2 = wire (-afstand/2, -length, height, -afstand/2, -length - sl, height, dunnedia,21);
long1 = wire ( -afstand/2, length, height, -afstand/2, length + ll, height, dunnedia, 21);
long2 =wire ( afstand/2, -length, height,afstand/2, -length - ll, height, dunnedia,21);

tussenstuk1 = wire(-afstand/2,0,height,afstand/2,0,height, 0.001 * WL ,3);

voltageFeed( tussenstuk1, 1.0, 0.0) ;

frequencySweep( 25.565, 29.365,50);
goodGround();
}

control()
{
runModel();
printf( "WL = %.4f diameter = %.4f  afstand = %.4f \n", WL, dunnedia, afstand) ;
printf( "korte = %.4f lange = %.4f\n", sl, ll) ;
printf( "--- done ---\n" ) ;
}

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Triple bazooka? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triple bazooka?   Triple bazooka? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Triple bazooka?
Page 1 of 1