Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
6900 yaesu anytone Mobile display software Baofeng power antenna ALINCO 2023 sign 9900 Sirio president 2022 supply list Mckinley callsign lincoln meter chart ss9900 frequency call
QRZ Database

Insulating Antenna

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HamletPete
HamletPete

Call Sign : 26CT2340
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Edenbridge, Kent
Equipment Used : CRT 9900 President Grant 2 Harrier CBX IMAX2000

antenna - Insulating Antenna Empty
PostSubject: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 1:07 pm

I have a Thunderpole 1/2 Wave silver rod. Had to take it down at the weekend due to a family barbecue (and the missus moaning! 😂). It's secured with jubilee clips but as I took it apart, it was full of water. What's the best method to stop this from happening? Electrical insulation tape round the joins? I have a cap at the top but water seems to getting through. Cheers in advance!
Back to top Go down
Toobad
Toobad

Call Sign : 26CT3000/G0NMC
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Hereford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-DX3000, Heil PR40, Imax 2000, 80m Delta Loop, GAP Titan

PostSubject: Re: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Self-amalgamating tape would be better than stock insulating tape. Wind it over the joints from the bottom end towards the top so water runs over the overlaps rather than into them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/G0NMC
HamletPete
HamletPete

Call Sign : 26CT2340
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Edenbridge, Kent
Equipment Used : CRT 9900 President Grant 2 Harrier CBX IMAX2000

PostSubject: Re: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Lovely, thank you very much
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Many years ago I had a 5/8 taped from top to bottom. When it eventually snapped (after 20+ years in a very exposed position), I was amazed on taking the tape off to find the aluminium had corroded from the inside. It must have been condensation because the surface under tape was still fine.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2019 9:27 am

I put my silver rod up on Thursday and all the joints are double wraped and new coax and new pl259s and it put to the blue marks swr is great from 26mhz upto 28.5 MHz and is working great, but yesterday with 30+ of propagation very hard to sort out and with my dx5000 as the base radio. it was good to be home based again but its only for wet cold nights as still like been away in the hills for the contacts,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insulating Antenna   antenna - Insulating Antenna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Insulating Antenna
Page 1 of 1