Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Help needed
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

Keywords
yaesu ss9900 anytone Baofeng call power frequency Sirio sign Mckinley display president meter lincoln 9900 antenna 2022 6900 ALINCO Mobile 2023 list supply chart software callsign
QRZ Database

mic for Yeticom Optima

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rockshelter

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Harstad, Norway
Equipment Used : Yeticom Optima, Grant2, Dx-5000

mic for Yeticom Optima Empty
PostSubject: mic for Yeticom Optima   mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Any decent power mics for Optima mk3? Chinese HM-36 fairly good when modded. Stock mic...well... opened up the little mic hole, big improvement but...
They both seem/sound "underpowered" on ssb (4-6 watts on normal talking, mig gain and power on max, touching 30 when whistling loud)
Wired up a k-po nm532 : did not sound good, low modulation.
Reading all forums on web but seems no conclusion on the mic quest...
Anyone uses optima here with other than stock mic and is happy with it? :-) Please share....
Or is this the wrong approach? Increase the ssb power?
Back to top Go down
v8forlife

Call Sign : 26-CT-3351
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stockbridge Hampshire
Equipment Used : cb and scanners

PostSubject: Re: mic for Yeticom Optima   mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi I’ve a mk2 stock mic seems poor as same boat as you I think
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: mic for Yeticom Optima   mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 pm

rockshelter wrote:
Any decent power mics for Optima mk3? Chinese HM-36 fairly good when modded. Stock mic...well... opened up the little mic hole, big improvement but...
They both seem/sound "underpowered" on ssb (4-6 watts on normal talking, mig gain and power on max, touching 30 when whistling loud)
Wired up a k-po nm532 : did not sound good, low modulation.  
Reading all forums on web but seems no conclusion on the mic quest...
Anyone uses optima here with other than stock mic and is happy with it? :-) Please share....
Or is this the wrong approach? Increase the ssb power?

Unless you're using a power meter with a proper peak hold function that uses a circuit which needs power to run then your meter isn't giving you a true reading for the power output on SSB. You need to use a peak hold meter because the peaks are so short in duration that the needle can't react fast enough when you're measuring it whilst talking.

Here's a Youtube video I did showing the difference measuring SSB power when using a proper peak hold meter with an active circuit and one without peak hold or the mickey mouse type that just use a capacitor or similar. Sorry for it being a bit ranty, it was in response to people banging on about the TS590 having low output power when it didn't but the reason they refused to believe that was because they were using the wrong type of meter to measure SSB.

The fact that when you whistle you're getting 30W proves the mics have enough drive to reach peak power. Getting a power mic will not make any difference other than making you sound worse.

Because of how SSB works it is impossible to have low modulation, all you'll do when you reduce mic gain is lower the power. The ones that sound loud do so because they're over-driving and the "loud" is actually distortion.
Back to top Go down
rockshelter

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Harstad, Norway
Equipment Used : Yeticom Optima, Grant2, Dx-5000

PostSubject: Re: mic for Yeticom Optima   mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am

Northern Crusader, thank you for clarification on this - I agree with all you said. Of course "low modulation" on ssb is a silly statement. I might have mixed in the process fm/am testing in this without saying :-) I think this is also a "gut" feeling - as in when you use different radios and mics and constantly observe the same power meter on all of them and its reading it doesent take long to get a "feeling" of what comes out of the radio. I have compared the Optima to maybe 10-12 other radios, both export, hf rigs and so on - the optima just does not give out what you would expect from this box power wise. The same was the case for a decent HF rig yaesu ft-847. Just did not push the output much. An external equalizer/compressor/gain box together with a better yaesu mic produced a very different result and much better reports. So I am sure what we experience with the yeti is true. And it does not seem to handle any external processing of the audio, its just the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mic for Yeticom Optima   mic for Yeticom Optima Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mic for Yeticom Optima
Page 1 of 1