Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Coax question!? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
display meter frequency antenna 6900 Sirio sign 2023 call software ALINCO president callsign power list Baofeng chart 2022 supply ss9900 Mobile Mckinley anytone yaesu lincoln 9900
QRZ Database

Coax question!?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Evening all. 

Looking again to pick your brains!

I’m looking at upgrading the coax upto 213 from the old rg58 but was wondering whether there’s a difference between running the wire along the ground or keeping it off the ground and putting it along the wall?

It makes a difference of 12 or so feet extra to run along the wall or 60 feet compared to 45 feet!

Any thoughts on the subject and shared experiences would be helpful. 

Cheers in advance. 

John
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2020 8:57 pm

12 additional feet isn't something I would be worried about. Total additional losses of 12 feet of good quality RG-213 is like 0.126 dB, or next to nothing.

If possible I would run it so as little as possible is exposed to sunlight, and any coax connection is well sealed from the rain.

If the option is to run said coax on dirt, you should get the type of coax you can bury, and do so.  If you can't bury it get some biodegradable yard stakes to hold it down until the grass (if present) gets to holding it down naturally.  You don't want your shiny new coax to get eaten by your lawnmower.

With the better quality coax, your SWR might go up.  This is normal, and assuming you are using the same antenna, you may have to re-tune it to get a good match.  Lower quality coax often gives the appearance of a better SWR than is actually present.

The DB

Pagan, glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi The DB

Many thanks for the answer. 
Much appreciated. 

This is one of the projects I gave myself for the lockdown to help keep me busy. 
I’m sure the wife will have a few to add to my list too!
With the weather changing I thought it would be a good idea to get it done in a lovely autumn morning. 

All the best guys. 
Stay safe

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 pm

A bit of advice....spend some money and get some decent PL259s for your main antenna coax run. 

Expensive but I can recommend Amphenol 83-1SP ones. Machined exactly to spec to the point that if you prepare your RG213 to the way that Amphenol say to and it doesn't fit then it's your coax that's not to spec. Proper silver plating and they're a joy to solder to - you can solder the braid to the shell through the four holes without melting the coax. You just need two of them, one for each end of the run. 

https://uk.farnell.com/amphenol-rf/83-1sp/rf-coaxial-uhf-straight-plug-50ohm/dp/1463089

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 am

I use LMR400 almost everywhere, but I can second the recommendation to use decent connectors,  and not eBay/Chinese crap.

These days, I nearly always crimp, but I still use genuine Amphenol from mouser.com most of the time, even for patch leads and portable stuff where I go to thinner RG223, RG8x or RG400, depending on the use.

HF isn't lossy, but crappy connectors sure as hell can be.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coax question!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coax question!?   Coax question!? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coax question!?
Page 1 of 1