Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
Digital Modes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

Keywords
ss9900 callsign 9900 Baofeng antenna call Mobile 2022 Mckinley sign 2023 software Sirio power meter lincoln ALINCO supply president anytone 6900 chart list yaesu frequency display
QRZ Database

Digital Modes

Go down 
+2
Smudger
2TX240
6 posters
AuthorMessage
2TX240
2TX240

Call Sign : 2-CT-240
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : SW AZ USA
Equipment Used : Icom IC-718, Anytone, Stryker, Yeticomm

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Is anyone running Digital modes on 11 meter freeband?

Curious if anyone has looked into running JS8Call or FT8?

...or any others

I have been looking around the internet, and it looks like 27.500 is the catch-all digi freq, and 27.700 for SSTV..

Anyone want to set a freq to try?

Upper or lower band...

I vote JS8Call, due to the ability to have "auto Answer" ability for Heartbeat calls, so I could leave my setup running while at work and see how it goes...

Thoughts, ideas, questions, statements of fact?
Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 12:09 am

Have made a few contacts with JS8, actual contacts not auto replies and HB. Its a mixed bag though a lot of EU stations don't use callsigns, i wont reply to these and often will reply before you've even finished Tx ing. 27.246 USB leave your rig on there but so far nada for 2 Div Had a couple of decodes on a Belize station last weekend but no return so no contact. Keep an eye on PSKreporter for activity.

2TX240 likes this post

Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 12:44 am

Ok...

Thanks for the frequency.

I have been running FT8 on the Ham bands, but I can leave the radio on 27.246 and JS8Call running when I'm at work tomorrow...

I'll have to make sure I have PSKReporter upload turned on... and make sure I change my Callsign... 

Anyone running FT8 on 11m?
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 am

I was a CB operator and Freebander long before I picked up my Ham ticket 20 years ago... and I ha e more QSL cards from Freebanding...

I actually enjoy Freebanding more.

And the only reason I asked about digital modes is:
Propagation sucks
I have heard SSTV in the freeband when propagation was better, and thought it would still offer some experiments

Smudger likes this post

Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
If it came across as like I was moaning, in a way I was but not nasty if you get my drift , the only reason is that its bad enough for us in UK on CB bands with really terrible interference we get on the bands without Amateurs coming over on them to do stuff in which they have been allocated for the use of and causing more interference to CB users ,it seems over past years that alot of Amateurs are doing this all over the world TBH and nothing can be done about it because as you know in the UK CB is a unlicensed and unmonitored band but if a CB is caught going on to Amateurs band illegally there's a big problem and someone get reported which is unfair , just a observation I thought  well infact I know its illegal for Amateurs to use there equipment on 11m for anything.

Haha you do make me laugh Martin. Yeah look ok Its not an amateur thing only its just radio. Im pretty sure Marconi wasn't a CB er from "back in the day good buddy" He just invented radio. Or did he ? Oh ffs don't go there. 

The very reason you speak of ref "terrible interference" is probably why digital modes are becoming more popular. You can make contacts of various questionability with them, below your noise floor even. Now the truth of JS8 i only use js8, is that it is such a narrow and low power mode that unless someone was parked up outside your house in Palmers Green you wouldn't likely even know they are there. Js8 is operated on 27.246 that's it for 11mtr.

43CT016 and 2TX240 like this post

Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks Smudger...

That is how I view radio, something that should be used, experimented on, and played with.

I realize digital modes are not everyone's "thing", but I veiw it has making the best of poor propagation

Smudger likes this post

Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 2:32 pm

I left my setup running on 27.246 JS8Call today. It should auto reply to any HB messages it recieves...

If you give it a shot, see if you can hit the Desert SW USA
Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
Well sorry I'm not as knowledgeable about it as you are ,I  just thought its more interference to contend with thats all it wasn't a to start a war or anything , so how's Basildon ,still boring . 😉

Lmao i wouldn't worry over it Martin, just made me laugh because for years you used to say the band was dead there was no one on even when there are nets still running with 50+ people weekly all over the country, well when were allowed out that i had to scratch my head when you mentioned its bad enough as if it was interfering with all those stations you cant hear. 

Is that Brasil Don the exotic part of Essex your referring too Razz
Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 6:54 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
Yeah sunny Brasil Don , where everyone seems to have the same surname as us lol
Been a long time since you've been on here

Oh by the way it is really is dead now on the radio down our way apart from one sort of network and that's  more like the Fred in the Shed Show its  on 305 USB 🙄

Haha yeah well that guys earing some good coin out of the others that call in. Don't get me started. Aint gonna bite lmao
Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:49 pm

Well, I haven't seem to heard anything on JS8Call... but I'll check it when I get home

Digital Modes 9k=
Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 4:42 am

So it looks like I got a Couple hits today...

No idea on who's call that is, doesn't look like an 11 meter DX call...

Digital Modes Img_2013
Digital Modes Img_2012
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 8:12 am

2TX240 wrote:
So it looks like I got a Couple hits today...

No idea on who's call that is, doesn't look like an 11 meter DX call...

No Maidenhead grid square in the messages to give a bit of a clue?

2TX240 likes this post

Back to top Go down
2TX240
2TX240

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Nope, that was all that was on my screen... I left it running all day
Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm

2TX240 wrote:
Nope, that was all that was on my screen... I left it running all day

Its a low signal -20 but ive worked them as low as that before, but do you find with low signals you get corrupted decodes or just the proverbial .. ..... .... 

Or a mixture of both ?
Back to top Go down
stormy
stormy

Call Sign : 14CT007 2E0DQV
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : South of Toulouse, France
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS-570, 11m Moxon, Sirio 5/8 Vertical, 1/2 wave dipole

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 11:01 am

Further to these posts, I live in France and am on JS8 most days (27.245 not 246) if the prop is there. We all have proper 11m callsigns but there a lot of very strange calls not originating in Europe which are a pain in the a**.
Today there are about 20 European stations all making contact with 43 div and we have been doing this for about 2 weeks now. In the afternoon this changes to the US as 43 div in bed!
Very few UK stations are on JS8, more's the pity, those that are do quite well.
So, guys, give it a whirl sometime. Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 11:23 am

Hi Ian,

I've noticed a lot of activity on 11m using JS8 when checking out PSK Reporter but so far have received nothing at my location. I've picked up some weird FT8 stuff at times but never really gave it much of a go.

Cheers for the heads up/reminder, I may have to try again some time. Digital Modes 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 11:26 am

JS8Call downloaded and probably working, any tips on using it? Slow, fast, normal & Turbo are some of the options!

I think I have some reading to do Smile
Back to top Go down
stormy
stormy

Call Sign : 14CT007 2E0DQV
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : South of Toulouse, France
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS-570, 11m Moxon, Sirio 5/8 Vertical, 1/2 wave dipole

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi Victor
Tnx for the quick response. PSK Reporter at the moment only shows a few left since this morning. This will increase later (after lunch!) but the best time at the moment is from 0900 utc until 1300. I use a vertical for Europe but a Moxon for Asia/Pacific which works when the prop is there. My location is no good for the US unfortunately.
JS8 works very well on low power, 30w to 80w. Any more and it will distort your signal and it will be rejected by the receiver. No amps!
73 Ian

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Smudger
Smudger

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2021 3:57 pm

stormy wrote:
JS8 works very well on low power, 30w to 80w. Any more and it will distort your signal and it will be rejected by the receiver. No amps!
73 Ian

How can this be the case, ive never seen this an issue ? Where are you getting this info from ? If its a bad Tx signal or receiver is in close proximity maybe hard to decde, 30 to 80 watts low power on a digital mode ? Come to think of it, it isnt on any mode.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 8:54 am

Cheers for the extra info there Ian. Digital Modes 1f44d 

I shall definitely give 11m a try on digi-modes next time I'm playing about and see how I fare. Smile

Definitely think the arguments concerning digital modes/power/IMD etc. have gone around the houses several times over but agree that's it's all about giving out a good clean signal whatever the power. Despite fixing things such as initial FT8 woes there's still some terribly distorted signals out there not only difficult to decode but hog bandwidth too! Wink

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

Digital Modes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Modes   Digital Modes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digital Modes
Page 1 of 1