Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Hello everyone
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:20 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

Keywords
call ss9900 chart 2022 callsign lincoln 6900 software anytone sign Mobile Baofeng yaesu ALINCO 9900 meter Sirio supply 2023 power display frequency president antenna Mckinley list
QRZ Database

Long wire installation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Long  wire  installation  Empty
PostSubject: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 am

At the  moment  i have my Lw20 long  wire  mounted on the back of the  house only  about  15ft, one  wire goes  down  the  garden  and  the other  half comes  back  to the house about  4ft apart,  not  happy  would  it be better  as a inverted V a lot  higher...
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 am

As in doubles back on itself?  That's not helping if this is the one you reckon is performing poorly.  Height will be fine for NVIS but not much cop for DX.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 am

Your wire antenna is end fed so will probably work better in a straight slopping config,a dipole wire antenna is centre fed and works very well in a inverted V 

Craig

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks is it being ruined because its running back on itself even though they are apart, dont have the room to run the 66ft
Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 10:55 am

Can you not put the wire in a different configuration, that simply moves the wires further apart? I use to have a long wire that formed a large almost inverted V square over & around the roof. That worked well. I have also run a Medium Wave/ topband end fed as a loop around the garden fence. A wire does  not have to be straight to be effective. Dog legging works.

Victor and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:11 am

Deffo need to move it looking at putting the unun just above the gutter probably 16ft and running to the pole that supports the 2m70, thats only 8ft above gutter and coming off that probably be a gradual V, does that sound ok
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:48 am

You're having right fun with this 'Amateur Radio' malarkey Chris! Wink

It's always bothersome trying to squeeze in an antenna into the limited space some of us face and often we have to make compromises. A compromise doesn't have to be as bad as you think though, you may not become the next DX king but can work out reasonable working conditions.

I always say, any antenna is better than no antenna! Smile

Jeff has already pointed out your mistake of folding the antenna back on itself, that'll do you no good at all.

Craig has pointed out the sloper arrangement and the fact that Dipoles work better as an Inverted V.

A quick read of the following links may help explain it all better :-

Firstly, what happens if you bend a long-wire into an Inverted V,

[url=https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/EFHW Inverted V.html]https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/EFHW%20Inverted%20V.html[/url]

Doesn't look great does it?

Secondly, what happens if you bend a long-wire into an Inverted L,

[url=https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/EFHW inverted L.html]https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/EFHW%20inverted%20L.html[/url]

Bit better.

As Nick has pointed out you can get away with 'dog-legging' or bending the antenna to various degrees but you can't go too wild(!) You may also find yourself needing a suitable 'counterpoise' to make it all work effectively.

A look at the following YouTube video will show what can be achievable :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMchB-bML98

There are various other experiments into folding antennas with varying degrees of success and places like YouTube are full of such examples.

I gave up on a longwire due to the fact that my front garden is as long as my back garden and unless I started draping antenna wire over the house no where was long enough! In the end I went for a dipole arrangement knowing that you can zig-zag dipoles to fit smaller spaces.

Info for that was here :-

[url=https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/Center-fed ZigZag dipoles Horizontal.html]https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/Center-fed%20ZigZag%20dipoles%20Horizontal.html[/url]

With that I now have dipoles zig-zagging my loft/attic space which is also a 'fan-dipole' arrangement giving me better access to different bands. It doesn't at all work too bad and at least gets me on the air.

Don't disparage or get frustrated......some Amateurs spend a life time working out and working with such compromises. It's all part of the fun Smile

All the best mate,
Victor

Sydthecat and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 am

Ah bum! The links mucked up. Shocked

The hyperlinks still work though so you should still be able to click on them to get to the websites of interest.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long wire installation    Long  wire  installation  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long wire installation
Page 1 of 1