Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» NATO 2000 Restoration
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeToday at 8:56 am by SangueG

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeToday at 8:39 am by chazwozza

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» New Member (Issued)
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
chart frequency callsign list lincoln sign power Sirio display 2022 Baofeng anytone Mckinley yaesu 2023 software Mobile ALINCO 6900 president supply ss9900 call meter 9900 antenna
QRZ Database

Home base A99 HIGH SWR

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26CT231ANDY

Call Sign : 26-CT-231
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cambridge
Equipment Used : Linoln 2

base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Empty
PostSubject: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi All..

Trust you are well.. help please Antron A99, took my old (20 years) antenna down over the week end, put my new? A99 (well brought it in 2011 but not used store under the stairs) SWR threw the roof so high.. adjusted the rings.. no joy, I have check my coax all fine.. SWR meter ok.. check continuity between the sections all good... so not sure what's up.. 
time to buy a new A99..

On setting up my antenna could I isolate the antenna from the mounting pole, attach a earthing feed straight to the aerial using a jubilee clip, may lose some back ground noise level or is still the best way to attach straight to the mounting pole.. as normal.. earth from that...

Thank you very much..

Cheers Andy.base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR 1f44d
Back to top Go down
LeedsChris

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : W Yorks
Equipment Used : Grant II, Antron 99

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi Andy, it sounds like your A99 might be terminally ill - with the rings locked together somewhere central-ish you should be able to find good swr somewhere between 26 and 28 megs.

The isolated mounting  and/or earthing thingy would only be a minor manipulation not intended to correct high SWR, but well worth playing with once you get the basics in place Smile

For my own Antron, I have isolated from the mast and I use a Line Isolator on the coax around 8.5 foot from the feedpoint. Works for me right now, though I have had good results without isolation too. If I wasn't isolating the mast I would just ground that rather than the antenna directly, but as I am isolating I am grounding neither. It's hard with all the up/down of the antenna but if you can you try as many variations as you can you should find the magic combo that seems best for your own setup...
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 3:22 am

LeedsChris wrote:
It's hard with all the up/down of the antenna but if you can you try as many variations as you can you should find the magic combo that seems best for your own setup...

My body is still aching from doing that last week, 
I lowered and lifted that heavy 3 piece telescope mast atleast 50 times in 2 hours,  
Definitely worth the effort, 

I was surprised at how little difference  1" adjustment made on the ½ wave vertical.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 4:31 am

Did you replace the coax? 20 year old coax will be well shot even if it meters out OK. I bet if you were to strip back some of the outer insulation from the plug end you'd find green or black braid from water ingress. Usually a problem like that won't show itself until it's disturbed.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 8:34 am

I've come across a couple of posts on the net in recent past where people have said their bottom section has been faulty out of the box. If yours is by chance it's obviously too late to send back now, but you could open it up and take a gander.. see if there is bad solder joint or something else weird going on in there. There's at least one web page if you do a search where someone has stripped one of these down, so you know what to expect inside.

Personally if buying a replacement I'd go for plain 1/2 or 5/8 silver rod. A lot cheaper and more girth = wider bandwidth.. most of the A99's radiating element is just a wire inside. I know there's other factors to consider like strength in winds etc, but that would be my choice.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2021 6:04 am

How'd you ho Andy, any luck sorting it out?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home base A99 HIGH SWR   base - Home base A99 HIGH SWR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home base A99 HIGH SWR
Page 1 of 1