Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

» Freebanding. Is there any activity between 25.615 & 26.955?
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:34 am by Dutchie19

» lightning arestors
The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2024 6:15 pm by K4TZO

Keywords
Mobile antenna software sign call frequency meter list ss9900 lincoln display Baofeng yaesu supply anytone power Mckinley 6900 president chart callsign ALINCO 2022 2023 9900 Sirio
QRZ Database

The best looking rig money can't buy

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
Hotel Zulu 253
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

The best looking rig money can't buy  Empty
PostSubject: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 11:35 am

Just thought I'd share this...
I spotted this on the cover of a magazine and had instant  heart palpitations, then discovered its actually a home made radio.
I don't think I'll be building one but I'll definitely be buying the next 7 additions of the mag to see the full build. The first part of the build is the filters, it will be interesting to see the full parts list to get an idea of what a build like that would cost, The best looking rig money can't buy  20210610
I love the retro look, what a thing of beauty.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 3:42 pm

It's got 2019 on it ??.
Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
It's got 2019 on it ??.
I noticed that, I can’t imagine the magazine is released once every 2 years, lol. What’s the story, Mr. Zulu

Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 am

I only noticed that after posting and instantly went on a frantic internet search to see if I could get my hands on the following issues. I'm surprised I was sent such an old mag with my foundation licence manual, perhaps someone just chucked an old mag in as a friendly gesture... well now I'm hooked
Fortunately I can get previous issues if I subscribe, but I need to become a member of the Wireless Institute of Australia first, I'll need to wait until I'm feeling a bit wealthier, I think it's going to cost around $100 for the year.
The best looking rig money can't buy  20210611

Oldboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 8:03 am

Sh1t happens.

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 9:33 am

Hi Andrew,

Lou VK3AQZ has his own website that might be worth checking out :-

http://vk3aqzkits.com/

Loads of homebrew projects appear to be there, (I'll check it out myself later when I have more time Smile)

Don't forget the WIA magazine archive at the following link :-

https://www.armag.vk6uu.id.au/

Unfortunately the magazine shown won't be in the archive back catalogue being too recent but it's a valuable resource for the 'home-brewer'.

Who knows, maybe drop Lou an email and he may be willing to share some more info?

I've had "extras" such as this turn up with other orders.....shiny unread magazine that turned out to be several years old. Still a bonus. The best looking rig money can't buy  1f44d 

(It's when they throw in a bag of sweets that are past their expiry date that's disconcerting! Very Happy)

But I agree, nice looking radio with a retro feel. Reminds me of an old Heathkit cased item.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 10:25 am

Hi Victor

Thanks for the links, Lou's website is awesome, there's some hard core talent going on there.
I'll be firing up the computer to have a proper look at it all.

73's 👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 am

Hotel Zulu 253 wrote:

I only noticed that after posting and instantly went on a frantic internet search to see if I could get my hands on the following issues. I'm surprised I was sent such an old mag with my foundation licence manual,  perhaps someone just  chucked an old mag in as a friendly gesture... well now I'm hooked
Fortunately I can get previous issues if I subscribe, but I need to become a member of the Wireless Institute of Australia first, I'll need to wait until I'm feeling a bit wealthier, I think it's going to cost around $100 for the year.

At the moment, if you get licensed (or upgrade) they are giving a year's complimentary membership.

https://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2019/20190113-1/

Victor and Hotel Zulu 253 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 11:11 am

No worries Andrew. The best looking rig money can't buy  1f44d 

There's some really helpful people out there more than willing to share their talents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya Jeff,

That sounds awesome mate! Is that offer still running?

Hey, Andrew - you've bought the book so obviously interested in that direction, seems like a good offer to tip the balance.

I do believe Jeff is a man in the know when it comes to Amateur Radio exams. Wink

Might be worth a little word in his direction.

All the best guys,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 am

Thank you for the link 43CT016, I'd better get my backside into gear.

You nailed it Victor, I'm studying for my licence so I can attempt some serious DX'ing without having to compete with all the chicken band nonsense.

I have passed the online test exam on every attempt but I'm not happy with just pass mark, when I can pass with a 100% score without taking a punt on any answers I'll do the real thing.

My introduction into amateur radio book only arrived this week, I'll spend a few weeks studying it properly.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 am

Thank you for the link 43CT016,  I'd better get my backside into gear.

You nailed it Victor, I'm studying for my licence so I can attempt some serious DX'ing without having to compete with all the chicken band nonsense.

I have passed the online test exam on every attempt but I'm not happy with just a "pass" mark, when I can pass with a 100% score without taking a punt on any answers I'll do the real thing.

My introduction into amateur radio book only arrived this week, I'll spend a few weeks studying it properly.

Last edited by Hotel Zulu 253 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 11:37 am

Victor wrote:
No worries Andrew. The best looking rig money can't buy  1f44d 

Hiya Jeff,

That sounds awesome mate! Is that offer still running?

Hey, Andrew - you've bought the book so obviously interested in that direction, seems like a good offer to tip the balance.

All the best guys,
Victor

It was 8 months or so ago, and I haven’t seen anything to suggest it stopped.  

I have a horrible feeling I threw all my old mags out, otherwise I’d have been happy to post the old copies with those articles in over to him.

Victor and Hotel Zulu 253 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2021 11:53 am

Good to hear Andrew and I wish you the very best of luck with it mate. The best looking rig money can't buy  1f44d 

We had a posting here with the W.I.A. questions a while back and loads of us were thrilled we could answer most of them to achieve a pass. Smile

As with any organisation they want to promote the hobby and look for basic competence, not hindrance.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

You are a star mate and I know you would've happily passed on those mags had you still had them. Smile

I'm still thumbing my way through the box of UK Radcom magazines a friend and Ham donated to me. I remembered a VHF Halo antenna feature so dug that out to build one for my recent FT290r acquisition.....that's my weekend planned out!

I've been thrilled with the generosity and helped offered by fellow radio enthusiasts to each other and love to see it on the forum.

You guys have definitely given me a buzz & smile for the weekend! Smile

The very best to all of you,
Victor

Hotel Zulu 253 likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2021 11:25 am

You've just given me a great idea, I've got an old HMV Roadhound TX77 18ch that's been modified to 40 ch. The radios front panel and enclosure is looking very second hand... I feel a remodelling project coming on..... its time to clear the workbench and get my imagination to work. The best looking rig money can't buy  20210612
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2021 12:36 pm

First thoughts are, robust, military style, portable, self powered rig with this for inspiration.
The best looking rig money can't buy  Images12
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 10:44 am

Admin, please allow, this is not for sale as its an item no longer available on eBay as It sold.

Re PM
Just for you hilly, this will give you some Idea what you can find if your patient, I reckon considering its condition the price was probably fair.
The best looking rig money can't buy  20210613

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best looking rig money can't buy    The best looking rig money can't buy  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The best looking rig money can't buy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: HF Radios 0-30Mhz-
Jump to: