Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

Keywords
Sirio supply lincoln 9900 Baofeng call anytone antenna chart list Mobile meter president 6900 ss9900 ALINCO callsign Mckinley display 2023 software power 2022 sign yaesu frequency
QRZ Database

ham or cb does it matter

Go down 
+2
AppleTree
skipmaster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-1079
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Walsall

ham or cb does it matter  Empty
PostSubject: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 6:06 pm

hi guys maybe someone heard this guy on 11m he was using a kp call wont mention which one for obvious reasons but finished a qso then must have had lots of calls back then returned with a stroppy voice if you dont stand by i will qsy , im not being funny but he was from france not exactly a most wanted division given the conditions so he did exactly that with im going to 10m does that mean everyone on the ham bands are very good operators and stand by when asked .... i think maybe not ,oh well if your using good equipment and can be heard well i think a little patience may be needed  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AppleTree
AppleTree

Call Sign : 26-CT-1319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Corringham , Essex.
Equipment Used : Various Radios & Antennas

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2022 5:56 pm

I don't see the issue lol, a lot of people are stroppy on the radio that's the kind of people it attracts.
Back to top Go down
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2022 10:06 pm

I would have to say it is frustrating at times when you are the focus of a pile up and obviously people are extremely keen to get your contact so they continually keep calling over people trying to bully their way in it makes it hard for the operator on the other end to actually try and be fair and give everyone a crack at them. And to answer your question yes it happens just the same on the ham bands at times, especially if you are running a station from an exotic place that is hard to come by on the airwaves then it gets beyond hectic but it all goes with the territory, when it happened to me and became impossible I just went QRT for and hour and came back later.

Regards

43CT015

Steve

Victor, Tristar and Ned like this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 4:18 pm

Sorry if this upsets some of you but i usually find that most ham operators have a i'm better than you attitude towards cb operators, i am one of the few who holds strictly to the 11 meter band and when i come across ham operators who have that type of attitude i just try to ignore them but sometimes it gets frustrating, has any one else experienced this ?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi Brian (Coyote), welcome to the forum.

I haven't really experienced it to be honest. Maybe I have just been lucky. I came back to CB after a long break around this time last year, and after a few months worked at and got my foundation licence (that's our first level ham licence here in the UK) as quite a few people on this forum had done, many from 11m backgrounds. Many people I have spoken to on the ham bands have been involved in 11m in the past or, like me and others here, still are. No one has spoken down to me because of, and some have been very helpful and given me tips in operation techniques.

Think you're doing the right thing if you are experiencing it though, which is just to ignore them.

Barramundi and Coyote like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 7:46 pm

Not sure where you're located in the U.K but here in the U.S. especially in the California area ham operators have a bad reputation for being arrogant and very unhelpful, glad to hear that you haven't had that problem yet.

Barramundi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 8:58 pm

I can only echo what Neal (SangueG) has already said with regards CB operators who go on to be licensed Hams and pleasantly surprised with dyed-in-the-wool Ham operators discovering the joys of CB/11m too. 
Pretty much a pleasant experience all round. ham or cb does it matter  1f44d 

We do unfortunately come across the odd unsavoury character in any aspect of life which can seem overwhelming whilst they play 'big fish in a little pond' adversely influencing a small group. It can feel like 'most' when happening across such a group but is actually a very small part of the big picture.

That's obviously just my experience in the small backyard of the UK but whenever I've come across Stateside Hams they're usually very pleasant as much as US CB operators are.

I always say, never let a few flies in the pool stop you from taking a swim.

Oh, and a warm welcome to Charlie Tango where every radio operator is respected when the feeling is mutual.

All the best,
Victor

Barramundi likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 9:36 pm

I have been involved in CB since the 70’s and then in 2013 got my foundation, I joined an amateur radio club at the same time and I have to say I didn’t have any bad experiences at all, everybody was extremely helpful and still are to this day. I think we can all find negative people in whatever hobby we decide to partake in but when I come across these sort of people I just move on and don’t interact with them.

43CT015

Steve

Victor and Coyote like this post

Back to top Go down
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-1079
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Walsall

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 pm

radio attracts stroppy people  Very Happy ha ha thats not what generally i have experienced but ive only used freeband and dont mind saying so , i listen to a lot of licensed operators on 11m and some are great but some are not so professional lets say . The problem is radio is there for people to communicate not nit picking ie who has voodoo audio who has the biggest amp or beam ive heard some guys recently in the west indies on old school cb slighlty off the notch on cb radio's but no problem .. happy people to dx  Surprised isnt that what its all about ? 73's

Tristar, Barramundi and Coyote like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2022 9:41 am

Ultimately, all these Radio Amateur Vs Citizens Band (and the similar FT8 Vs Phone etc.) discussions are futile. If you only want to play only CB or AR then that's great, if you want to do both that's great too. It's a very broad hobby and there's a lot to try out.

Not everyone agrees with everyone else, in radio or in Real Life. Sometimes you end up in contact with someone you may not have shared time with in RL, give them a chance and if you decide that don't want to have a long drawn out discussion then don't, but don't go looking for conflict where practically none exists. If you are finding it happens to you a lot then, maybe, just maybe, you are the problem.

Really, we should have stuck to spark gap transmitters, all this modern short wave malarkey is just bunkum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ham or cb does it matter    ham or cb does it matter  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ham or cb does it matter
Page 1 of 1