Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
frequency meter anytone 6900 2022 chart ALINCO callsign yaesu Mckinley 2023 display Mobile supply ss9900 lincoln power president sign list Sirio software 9900 call antenna Baofeng
QRZ Database

Help needed albrecht 2990

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
gavalar1980
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gavalar1980

Call Sign : 26-CT-4188
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Doncaster
Equipment Used : Crt millennium in car with springer

Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Empty
PostSubject: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 6:31 am

Hi all purchased a albrecht 2990 yesterday and not been able to hear anything on it its got a longer antenna on it but if you go near the antenna it hisses and crackles ive tried to use my ml145 on it still can't seem to get it to recieve anytjing it will on cb but nothing else thanks in advance 73's  
26-CT-4188

gavalar1980 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 am

Is that a handheld ?.
You might find it don't pickup that well i never had any luck with them.
Might be better the newer ones but somebody will be along that has one with some better help.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 am

Hi Gavin,

They're good handhelds and you hear very little about problems with them.

How are you testing the reception? Are you just listening on air to see what you can receive?

You say that you can receive on 'CB' so do you mean on FM? Are the crackles and hisses just heard on SSB?

(Not unusual on SSB and as you approach the antenna you may either introduce interference or even indeed improve the reception by becoming the handheld antenna's groundplane/counterpoise! Smile)

A lot of questions fired back at you I know but you haven't given us a lot of information to go on.

I see you've only just obtained it so may not have been able to give it much of a test. If you have a mate or contact locally with a multimode CB, (AM/FM/SSB), you could have a chat with them whilst switching modes to check everything is in order. If you've been listening out for general or 'freeband' activity on sideband then I'm afraid there hasn't been a lot of activity around the last couple of days even running off a base station antenna let alone a handheld or mobile antenna.

Hopefully it's all just down to nerves from making a new purchase, they tend to kick in when we get a new radio and only alleviate once we start making contact on them. Wink

Let us know how you get on. Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am

Good advice there from Victor.
The bands are silent where i live at the moment.
Not sure if you have just come back to radio as a lot have only to find it's nothing like it was when they left the hobby.
It will get better as the cycle changes stick with it m8.

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 11:21 am

I myself have always found handhelds for HF pretty disappointing.

Bearing in mind that with stations being much further apart than they used to be a decent antenna is going to be essential and by decent I mean at least a half wave around 18 foot long.

The range on a handheld in urban areas can be as little as just a mile or two and unless there's somebody else within that range the result is usually what you are experiencing. I have seen some amazing contacts achieved on handhelds but usually from very high ground with good propagation conditions.

Handhelds usually use you the user as a ground plane so I would imagine that's why you're hearing a change in the received noise when you go near the antenna. Your mobile antenna will definitely be a step up from the one supplied with the radio so that's probably the way to go as long as it's properly grounded.

As Victor and Alan have already said we are pretty much at solar minimum at the moment so propagation on the 11 meter band is far from at its best. I haven't even bothered putting up an 11 meter antenna since I moved home last year.

I have got antennas up for the 20 and 40 meter "Ham" bands where it's still possible to work the world and Europe is open most of the time.

I would consider achieving your foundation "Ham" license this will give you much more of the radio spectrum to play on. If you already have I apologise for being presumptuous.

I do hope you have success with your new radio my advice to you would be to connect it to a really good antenna system and keep the batteries fully charged for best results. You may find the RF power is reduced unless it's connected to the mains I know some models did this.

All the best 73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 11:42 am

I don’t know if your 2990 is defective, but I’ve had good success with one on the 10m ham band. Best Dx so far is east coast of the USA when using it hand-held but with a better whip than the one supplied.

Regards,
Keith
Back to top Go down
gavalar1980

Call Sign : 26-CT-4188
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Doncaster
Equipment Used : Crt millennium in car with springer

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Hi Gary thanks for that mate I'd love to do my ham licence but have learning difficulties and wouldn't be able to take the test and Keith what whip did you please

73's  to you both
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2021 2:18 pm

It’s a base-loaded telescopic whip with BNC-male connector. I got it from - I think - Martin Lynch many years ago. Not sure of the manufacturer, it may have been MFJ. I just had a look but there’s no manufacturer’s label on it unfortunately.

Regards,
Keith
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 pm

gavalar1980 wrote:
Hi Gary thanks for that mate I'd love to do my ham licence but have learning difficulties and wouldn't be able to take the test

It's not that hard, it's certainly worth having a go. The pass mark is set quite low for the foundation exam and it's a multiple choice test. There's a little maths for one section for a couple of questions, basic division or multiplication but you can cock that up and still pass. Most of the questions are based on health and safety and making sure you know the basics of operating and where you can transmit. You're even provided with the answers for some of the questions on an accompanying band plan sheet.

I have a friend who left school with no qualifications, can't spell anywhere near as good as you and struggles adding single digit numbers and he managed to get his foundation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed albrecht 2990   Albrecht - Help needed albrecht 2990 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed albrecht 2990
Page 1 of 1