Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2024 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
supply call chart president power ALINCO 9900 Sirio anytone 6900 display list antenna yaesu Mobile lincoln Baofeng sign Mckinley frequency 2023 2022 ss9900 callsign software meter
QRZ Database

Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

Call Sign : 26-CT-4242
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Southampton U.K.
Equipment Used : Nill at the moment.

members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Empty
PostSubject: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope i am posting this in the right place if not then could the Admin/ Moderator team please move it to the correct place.

I just want to put out a call to all you CB guys and girls that are in the Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire Areas.
I am trying to find out if there are many of you guys around.
Please get back to me as this will help me make the decision about getting back in to this hobby before i invest in equipment.

MM.  26-CT-4242.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down

members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi Model maker,Even though I’m in a London QTH,There’s plenty of stations I’ve spoken to In those 3 parts of of the Uk.
Only yesterday I was on the Portsmouth Tuesday net at 8pm on 27.285 MHz USB.Your be surprised how many people actually use cb now.Personally I mostly use SSB because I’m always trying to get fantastic DX,This week has been short and sweet but amazing.I’m sure there’s loads of Charlie Tango members In those QTH’s who will tell you more then me.
Good luck Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi Tom,
Thank you This is good information to have.
I am so out of touch with CB's now. 
But being on a pension you can see why i need as much information and knowledge as to who's is about and what cheap equipment i will need so that i don't waist what little pennies i have.

It is a shame i don't know anybody locally that i could talk to or even try it out with to see how quiet it is compared to the old days.

MM   26-CT-4242.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi Martin,

I've edited your posting title to help assist your search.

There are members here from that area but unfortunately not all of them are active on the forum. Some come for the call sign and never heard from again unfortunately.

It might be worth a shout over on the Facebook group if that's something you use :-

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/166605419718/

CB has definitely changed from the old days such as the 1980's when everyone seemed to have a CB even in the same street(!) and much harder to work each other unless you are lucky to be in a CB active area.

I can understand a reluctance to fork out cash on something that may ultimately be fruitless so I'll suggest the following....

There are a number of online radio receivers you can use to listen to local radio traffic in the Shortwave bands including CB frequencies known as KiwiSDR and their main map site is at the following :-

http://rx.linkfanel.net/

It's a world map so you will need to zoom into the UK area but the following two sites are within your location :-

Isle of Wight KiwiSDR : http://109.147.163.149:8073/

Bournemouth KiwiSDR : http://kiwisdr.alanknipmeyer.science:8073/

It might take you a little while to get used to but you can scan around the radio frequencies in your area to see what local radio traffic is like and best of all do it for free. members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. 1f44d

Try typing in 27Mhz on the frequency input and you'll be able to see across the band as well as hear whatever traffic may be your way.

Anyway, hope that's of some help.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, SangueG and Model Maker like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi Victor,
Thank you for the amendment to the post.
I am as we speak in the process of trying to get a scanner.

Thank you for the links.
I will have a play and see if i can understand how they work and to use them properly.

Many thanks.

MM   26-CT-4242

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 7:16 pm

Good call from Victor on checking out Web SDRs first. I had a quick google to see if I could find a closer one, but failed. There looks to have been one at Southampton University previously, but doesn't look active now.

If you're looking for a cheap receiver / scanner that covers the CB band, and know a bit about working a PC, setting up an SDR via a plugin USB dongle might be an option for you. There are some for under £20 if you do a a little search.

Neal

glenn dog, Victor and Model Maker like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi Neal,

I have recently purchased a RTL-SDR and have had a play but unfortunately all i can pick up is the local radio stations.
I have tried all sorts to get better reception.
I have tried a long wire clipped to the provided antenna and did manage to get a slightly different station.

So it looks like i need to try and experiment a bit with making some antennas with what i can find laying around.

MM.   26-CT-4242.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Just a note that the Southampton Uni websdr I mentioned is running again, but unfortunately no CB on it. Only 50MHz and above, so won't help you with CB in the area Sad I've been listening to 70cm repeater  QSOs for a while this evening via it, nice and clear reception. Something to check out if there's nothing else to listen to. LINK

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 8:13 am

Hi SangueG,

Thank you for the information.

I have made a T2LT antenna and have not been able to tune it in for transmitting as i do not have a SWR metre.
However i have managed to hang it from an upstairs window but as yet not received anything at all.
I have spent a lot of time listing at all different times of the day and night.
I will continue to listen as i don't know if it is the rig or an antenna problem or it just might be dead in my area.

I suppose until i make contact with someone i will never know.LOL!!

MM. 26-CT-4242.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi. If you see this message in time, try and have a listen shortly on chan 39 mid block, 27.395. Hopefully you will be able to hear something as there's usually some operators on within 20 miles of you for the weekly net. Could also try chan 38 too as I think another net is on there, but further away.

If you miss it this week try another Thursday, same freqs from, 8pm. Even if your antenna isn't tuned well for transmitting, it should still pick up some of those local on the net I would of thought.

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi SangueG,

Thank you.
The bad news is this afternoon i took my Antenna down as the wife had a few words.

I need to come up with an idea of a very quick temporary Antenna that could be put up and down in seconds.

Up until now i have not heard a single sound except 'hissing' so i am very reluctant to pay out.

I think it is called Catch 22 LOL!!

MM.   26-CT-4242.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.   members - Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a Call Out to Southampton, Portsmouth, Hampshire area members.
Page 1 of 1