Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:53 am by stalker

Keywords
lincoln 6900 9900 Mckinley meter frequency power Sirio sign president software ALINCO ss9900 call yaesu 2022 supply anytone Baofeng antenna 2023 callsign display list chart Mobile
QRZ Database

New member testing the water (Issued)

Go down 
+3
GaryWilson
Victor
Andy2278
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy2278
Andy2278

Call Sign : 26-CT-4246
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Quarry Bank, West Midlands
Equipment Used : CRT-Xenon

New member testing the water (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi all,

Coming back to CB after quite a few years. Not brought a rig yet as want to know if there’s many people on in my area?

I live in Quarry Bank in the West Midlands DY5 (UK)

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Model Maker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Charlie Tango.

From the looks of it there are a fair few members in your neck of the woods but I don't know if they're active or not.
(Many members get their call sign and unfortunately are never seen again on the forum.)

There's a KiwiSDR online receiver your way in Stourbridge. Link as follows :-

http://81.174.134.21:8073/

I had a quick listen but doesn't seem like much in the way of CB traffic, (I would have thought there'd be a lot more so might just be wrong time of day).

The latest 'CB revival' does seem a bit strange in that some areas are booming and others like my own are a virtual desert for activity. I enjoyed some summer skip action last year but then decided to take my ticket and jump on the Ham bands where there's always radio activity.

Hopefully a member in your area can better enlighten you.

There was a bit of activity PMR wise your way with the 8@8, (Sundays 8pm, Channel 8 ), a while back but not sure if that's still going.(?)

Anyway, I hope you do find some activity your way and enjoy a revisit to the old CB. New member testing the water (Issued) 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

GaryWilson, Model Maker and Andy2278 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 359
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Hello Andy, welcome to the forum.

As Victor has alluded to, some areas can be very busy others not at all. You could have a look in the call sign directory to see how many are near you some may be active some not and look at the nets and skeds section to see what is going on in your region. Best of luck!!

73's Gary.

Model Maker and Andy2278 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Andy, welcome.

You could try taking a glance through the Nets and Skeds reports section to see if any operator locations have been reported near you. The Southern Area SSB net is often reported on well and, although not really Southern, there are one or two Birmingham stations I see logged that have joined in that net so there may be others logged from other neighbouring areas to you.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Andy2278
Andy2278

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:44 pm

Ok, so I’ve done it! I’ve ordered a Thunderpole T800 which should be here in the next couple of days and a decent (ish) mid sized antenna.  Also a mag mount for the car. Not dropping too much money just yet.

How do I apply for a CT call sign?

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi Andy, 

I understand that you don't want to drop too much cash initially however it's worth mentioning that many of the skeds and nets are held using SSB mode rather than FM or AM. You might find the T800 a little limiting in that respect.

I issue the call signs for the group so I'll do yours tomorrow evening when I'm back on.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.

Back to top Go down
Andy2278
Andy2278

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi Gary, great info there thank you. I have been debating a CRT Superstar SS-6900-N, but have read mixed reviews that they aren’t always CB enabled and need programming and also can’t find what power supply would be most suitable. (I’ve been given a psu which puts out 3-5A). Any advice would be appreciated

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:41 pm

Hello and welcome, Andy.

73s John.

Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 7:38 am

Hi Andy, welcome to the CTDX group
73s
Steve.

Back to top Go down
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

Call Sign : 26-CT-4242
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Southampton U.K.
Equipment Used : Nill at the moment.

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 8:08 am

Welcome Andy,
I am a recent member here too and like you trying to see what it is like in my area before spend money.

I hope you get a lot of contacts.

MM.   26-CT04242.

Andy2278 likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Andy2278 wrote:
Hi Gary, great info there thank you. I have been debating a CRT Superstar SS-6900-N, but have read mixed reviews that they aren’t always CB enabled and need programming and also can’t find what power supply would be most suitable. (I’ve been given a psu which puts out 3-5A). Any advice would be appreciated
Hello Andy,

The power supply you have will not be enough for the CRT6900n. I can't remember the current supply required for that particular radio but I use a 30 Amp PSU for my radios. A quick check on the manual says it's fitted with 10 Amp fuses so you'll be best with at least a 20 Amp PSU.

73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Hello Andy.

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-4246 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member testing the water (Issued)   New member testing the water (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member testing the water (Issued)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: New Member Introductions & Call Sign Applications-
Jump to: