Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

Keywords
6900 ss9900 call ALINCO chart Sirio Mckinley display antenna 2022 Mobile supply Baofeng anytone president software 9900 2023 sign power meter lincoln list callsign yaesu frequency
QRZ Database

Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Empty
PostSubject: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 am

I ordered one of these Sigma Venom 5/8 wave and I got to say over my Imax 2000 that had a factory defect. I feel  almost back in the 80's.  I had a Radio Shack Crossbow64 back then, and of corse the conditions were crazy back then.  I also aquired the Rigexprt 35zoom about a yr ago,  then just had to get  the Nano VNA, the rigexprt has now quit working and out of warrenty...oh well...  any who, I took the seeming silly 3 short radials off the Sigma,  added 2) maco V1500 Ground plane hubs and running 8 radials. Seems I changed the take off angle a little more tah I should have. Works "ok" for local, but shines even better when DX is in...  I should note on the tune of the Sigma for the USA possable buyer,  they tune 1.0 :1 swr @50ohms around 27.500/600 in stock form. With the ground radials, it seemed to "widen" the  low SWR range. I'd say a good 60/70 Channel spread. Impedance does change a bit when you get awat from  your "sweet spot" of a tune. But nothing crazy. I get Snow, Ice, Wind, Rain,  here at my location. Last winter, I thought I lost it, wind and sleet made for heavy ice build up and a serious "lean".  Took it down and got the "kinks" out and back together...  Tower may go up soon, my climbing abilities are fading. May have to resort back to a imax 2000 a top of the 4el LFA. Just have to see.  This cycle 25 so far, has been a great awakening and  a re kindle of those ol  1980's days on air. Antenna theory hasn't changed though. 73 2CT351.

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man, Roboed and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2021 2:31 pm

It does seem you can't go wrong with the original Silver Rod style antenna at times, I have just made several Short Skip contacts with my half wave Ringo vertical and I am pleased to say that included several Charlie Tango stations.  Great bandwidth and not so noisy when the weather isn't so great either I notice over the fiberglass antennas.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT612
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : West Oxfordshire
Equipment Used : Various SSB sets

PostSubject: Re: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2021 8:17 pm

The Venoms do work ok, but I feel that the quality of them is far inferior to Silver rods of old. I had one and sent it back because it didn't feel like it would withstand much of a blow, and the way that the joints were cut made it feel pretty poorly made.

Currently I have a Sirio GPE 27 5/8 and the build quality and materials are far better, plus at the time it only cost a few quid more.

The venom could be useful for portable DX due to its light weight, the sirio is over 1kg heavier due to being made from thicker material.

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man and Savwafare10 like this post

Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2021 10:32 pm

We could say that for alot of the "re-made" antennas of the past.  I fully agree this Sigma isn't stout like some of the old GP antennas of the past.  We have high winds around twice a year, Fall into Winter (now) and Winter into Spring. Its already got a "lean" to it at only 20ft off the ground. It's rebuildable.  a few times anyways. Once the tower goes up and the 4el LFA I may have to resort to  a 1/4 wave vertical or go back to Fiberglass. Not a big deal I guess to leave the DX work to the LFA.

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man and Peter davey like this post

Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2021 8:17 pm

hi anyone converted the old gp 27 5/6 sections as a hf multiband vertical maybe with a balun i bought a 5 section vertical gp27 looking with an un un balun on is base i have found it has an intermitent fault i payed 100 pounds for it i think if i convert the old type gp 27 for a lot less thanks for looking paul m0bd 73s

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)   Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sigma Venom Silver Hot Rod 5/8 wave (tinkering)
Page 1 of 1