Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

Keywords
meter Mckinley ss9900 2022 sign power frequency 9900 Baofeng anytone Sirio callsign supply antenna call president Mobile yaesu list ALINCO display chart software 6900 lincoln 2023
QRZ Database

Balun's are they useless?

Go down 
+2
GaryWilson
Mr Scientist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 359
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Balun's are they useless? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:51 pm

Hello Peeta,

The balun far from being useless is a pretty essential part of any antenna system where a unbalanced feed line is being used with a balanced antenna such as a dipole. This will prevent a radiating feed line and prevent distorting the antenna's radiation pattern as well as the interference that you've already referred to.
I always use one in this situation.

73 Gary.

Victor, aleksandar and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 am

I am waiting for our Victor on this one lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 8:08 am

Ah you beat me to it Alan. Very Happy

It's never because I'm 'opinionated', but rather sharing any knowledge available to help people in any way. Balun's are they useless? 1f44d 

Gary has already put it well and I agree that they are an essential part of an antenna system.

You can run a dipole without one and I did happily for some time but as I discovered they run a heck of a lot better with one. I'd also do my best to impedance match were I could or should but sometimes you can get away with the 'little' things. (Such as my penchants for running 75 ohm coax. Wink )

The nice thing about a radio interest is that there is always something to learn and those of a radio persuasion are more than happy to help out where they can. It can clearly be seen by such discussions here at Charlie Tango and the wealth of information published elsewhere.

+1 from me regards BAL-UN's, UN-UN's and other antenna impedance matching methods. Balun's are they useless? 1f44d 

(Just remember you can easily build them yourself than pay often 'over the top prices'.)

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi Peeta,

I congratulate on your willingness to learn about such things and the questions that arise from the learning process.

There are indeed as the old proverb states, "many ways to skin a cat", and a number of solutions may present themselves to the enthusiast. Which solutions are better is a matter of speculation and usually an enthusiast will explore options that they either understand or are able to procure with sufficient knowledge.

For myself it's so that I can build my own equipment and accessories, for others it may be to attain sufficient knowledge to make an informed decision on a purchased item. Some just simply enjoy the learning process. Smile

There are yet others that dedicate their lives to appreciating and fully understanding such subject material becoming an eminently qualified member in their field. Many of them publish their findings on the internet and can be a useful source of information for those wishing to learn more.

If it helps any here is one such example :-

https://www.antenna-theory.com/definitions/balun.php

There are many more examples besides.

I'm sure that it's true for most of us here and other radio enthusiasts that we wish to simply understand enough to make informed decisions to assist our activities. Such enthusiasts usually stand out by not being hindered by what is theoretically possible but by what we can practically achieve. Examples include fitting antennas for 160m onto a small plot, zig-zagging dipoles to fit in an attic space, winding 'ugly baluns' or chokes from coaxial cable etc. etc.

For many 'necessity' truly is the mother of invention and we will do whatever we can to achieve results for our chosen interest even if the solutions are not perfect but simply better than what we have.

The 'best' of them will happily share their findings with others simply to assist them - even if they can't truly explain them to the Nth degree.

I wish you the best in your learning path, you may have to travel a few and they won't always be in one place or a particular heading.

All the best,
Victor

P.S. - Yeah I know, I've pretty much just said in an eloquent fashion, "Have you tried Googling it?" Wink

As one of my old tutors always said, "Research is the key", and someone else more famous said it better with "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

Alan Pilot and Mr Scientist like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 3:58 pm

Mr Scientist wrote:
Whats is it balancing? A Balun is in essences is a crude transformer (solenoid) from what I can tell, altering impedance (resistance) of a AC current. preventing the RF which is AC coming back down the coax from entering ones transmitter. 

My position is if that all its doing would not a few ferrite beads or rings be better. If its to match any voltage, current or impedance going from the inner core of the coax to the outer braid than that a different story. but from what I observe they are simply use to stifle RF feed back along the outer braid. 

Also I gather some radio hobbyist mix and mach coax and cable, that would present different impedance, so would a Balun be useful there?

over to chaps.

73 Mr Scientist

It's not balancing anything although it does keep the normal flow of current in the feedline balanced.
It's primary role is to choke the Common mode current on the feedline, another role is impedance transformation.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Mr Scientist wrote:
Whats is it balancing?

It's not supposed to be balancing anything, it acts a an interface. BALUN refers to the feeder and the antenna, BALanced antenna (dipole) to UNbalanced feeder (coax).

UNUN...UNbalanced antenna (endfed) to UNbalanced feeder (coax). 

Some transform impedance, some don't, all prevent or reduce RF common mode current flowing down the outside of the braid of the unbalanced feeder.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balun's are they useless?   Balun's are they useless? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balun's are they useless?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: