Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
2023 6900 Sirio Baofeng ALINCO lincoln callsign call software yaesu power sign antenna frequency Mobile ss9900 display supply president 2022 chart meter Mckinley 9900 list anytone
QRZ Database

UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School

Go down 
+3
2E0PWD
Victor
zompieuk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
zompieuk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4439
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southampton
Equipment Used : President McKinley, Silver Rod

Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Empty
PostSubject: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2022 7:20 pm

Hi guys,

Whilst I've been on CB Radio since 1981, I've not really used it that much in a few years (maybe decades) as I've been mostly on HAM radio since the late 1990s.

Back in the early 1980s, it used to be the convention (on UK40) that 14 was the calling channel and 19 was used for mobile, whereas now it seems everyone hangs out on channel 19.

Firstly, it seems a bit of a waste to hang out on channel 19 when there are 80 legal channels to play with. Secondly, it seems to encourage the kind of operators I thought (or at least hoped) had been consigned to history; dead-keyers and people playing music. CB Radio is a great resource when used properly, but there will (it seems) always be a few idiots to spoil it for the rest of us.

I'm thinking that since in Southampton, channel 19 is basically saturated with "poor operators", that it might make more sense to go Old School; leave the idiots on 19 and use 14 as the calling channel instead - and always QSY off. The idiots will be too busy messing about on 19 to realise that the decent operators are using another channel.

14 for a Roger Very Happy

Thoughts?

73, Andy
26-CT-4439

Victor and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2022 6:42 am

Hi Andy,

Back in the day around my neck of the woods we had the standard 14/19 calling channels but due to amount of on air abuse locals also used channel 22. Other towns/counties had similar conventions with slightly different channels just avoiding 9,14 & 19.

It used to help with regard that the on air abusers tended to run illegal linears/boots/boosters so that not only could they be an idiot in their own town/area but transmit further afield as well(!)  Rolling Eyes

The problem is if they are intent on causing disruption it won't matter a jot what channel you go to.

Never engage with such an idiot, it's what feeds them and if they manage to get you annoyed in any way so that you retort then similarly you have yourself become an on-air abuser and a vicious cycle continues. This can often culminate in why so many areas around the UK are devoid of CB activity the abusers turning the once fertile air waves into a battlefield and then ultimately a barren desert.

It's truly sad that such individuals exist at all but what's often worse is that these abusers were the swearing kids back when CB was first legalised in the UK yet continue their ways as pathetic old men.

Abusers however do come in many shapes and forms and nowadays will frequent any communication platform that gives them an audience including unfortunately forums such as this.

There was a simple 'trick' or bit of knowledge back in the day that if you got a 'keyer' or other such you simply went "up one". Everyone knew to go up a channel and the abuser hasn't realised whilst practising their DJ skills that you're all still chatting on a different frequency! Of course they'll eventually follow but if everyone keeps going 'up one' they'll soon tire of it. Wink
(If you're on 40 'up one' cycles back to channel 1 etc. and if you come across a busy channel just all know to go 'up one' again.)

I wish you well with your CB activities there Andy and hope that you get to chat to some decent people making radio as enjoyable as it should be.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
2E0PWD
2E0PWD

Call Sign : 26-CT-4445 2E0PWD
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : York
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-10, Icom 735, TYT TH-9800, Ailunce HD1

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2022 4:59 pm

Hi Guys

As a new member, I'm flicking the pages on the website and came across Andy's post.

I was an AM CB operator before legalisation in November '81.  We always had our share of idiots who would play music, shout, whistle and anything else they could do to ruin the enjoyment of others.

I bought a Cybernet Beta 3000, paid my £15 (I think...) for a license and hoped that the idiots would fade away.  How wrong I was!  It seems that, after legislation, anybody could (and did) buy CB radios legally but the loonies continued abusing the airwaves.  On top of that, kids were being given radios as Christmas presents and possibly thought that it was OK to play music etc.  I'm not saying for one minute that all kids this.  The entire experience drove me away from CB radio.

As Victor commented, if they are intent on causing disruption it won't matter a jot what channel you go to.  It happens on the 'ham' bands as well and I've often heard verbal abuse and 'industrial' language on the repeaters.

It seems that there will always be a minority trying to spoil it for everybody else.

Just my own thoughts.

73s

John
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2022 5:57 pm

It was ever thus John, one of those QSY and move on situations I'm afraid.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
SteveB-Signwriter

Call Sign : 26-CT-4344
QTH or Location : Bournemouth
Equipment Used : York863, York861, President Bill (all mobile)

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 pm

I completely get what you’re saying, I’m in Dorset and will be on the 14.
Back to top Go down
https://www.shogunsigns.co.uk/
AlphaWolf75uk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4437
QTH or Location : Wimborne, Dorset
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900. CRT SS 6900N

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2022 7:55 pm

the better bet might be all good operators turning to ssb in stead, which might help more.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2022 6:45 pm

2E0PWD wrote:
Hi Guys i found that most of the chan 19 bucket mouths passed the foundation test and went to the ham side and just done the same there, but please this is not a ham cb rant yes i am ham , early days of hell on the cb, hell its that quiet up i would love to have that and some thing to listen to but nothing but the young bro and my self

As a new member, I'm flicking the pages on the website and came across Andy's post.

I was an AM CB operator before legalisation in November '81.  We always had our share of idiots who would play music, shout, whistle and anything else they could do to ruin the enjoyment of others.

I bought a Cybernet Beta 3000, paid my £15 (I think...) for a license and hoped that the idiots would fade away.  How wrong I was!  It seems that, after legislation, anybody could (and did) buy CB radios legally but the loonies continued abusing the airwaves.  On top of that, kids were being given radios as Christmas presents and possibly thought that it was OK to play music etc.  I'm not saying for one minute that all kids this.  The entire experience drove me away from CB radio.

As Victor commented, if they are intent on causing disruption it won't matter a jot what channel you go to.  It happens on the 'ham' bands as well and I've often heard verbal abuse and 'industrial' language on the repeaters.

It seems that there will always be a minority trying to spoil it for everybody else.

Just my own thoughts.

73s

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School   Calling - UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UK40 FM Calling Channel - Southampton - Back to the Old School
Page 1 of 1