Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
power 6900 Mckinley call anytone chart frequency 2023 sign Sirio supply yaesu display callsign meter president 2022 ALINCO list lincoln 9900 Mobile antenna software ss9900 Baofeng
QRZ Database

How far can you get on SSB?

Go down 
+4
mickyboy
GaryWilson
BigTone
richfr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
richfr

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Finistere France
Equipment Used : UV5r on PMR

How far can you get on SSB? Empty
PostSubject: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi all I am new to Radio had a bit of a play when younger on CBs (might still have them in the garage somewhere) and have a couple of UV5rs on PMR but nothing for a long time.
Have seen a few videos on YouTube of Fred in the shed and really fancy a modern SSB CB.
What kind of range can you regularly get on SSB?
I live in mid Brittany France should I be able to get into the south west UK?
Have seen a vid of people in the UK talking to the south of France so it must be possible if conditions are good, but do you think I could manage it regularly.

Am looking to get a CRT SS9900
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I should think you should reach the Dorset, Devon and Cornwall South coast as there is nothing in the way.
Of course, conditions can get you further if there are any, eg tropo (high pressure weather systems) Aurora, Sporadic E, I think I have heard aircraft scatter,
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 pm

Hello Rich, It's very variable depending on conditions and Propagation. Have a little look here. There's a section on the 10 meter amateur band which has very similar characteristics to the 11 meter C.B. band. https://rsgb.org/main/technical/propagation/hf-propagation/

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
richfr

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi thanks for the reply if it looks likely will give it a go. I am in the UK next week hopefully I will get time to find/buy some equipment.
I would like to be able to use it in the car when traveling but I guess I will need a larger outdoor aerial when in France to get to the UK any recommendations would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 pm

richfr wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply if it looks likely will give it a go. I am in the UK next week hopefully I will get time to find/buy some equipment.
I would like to be able to use it in the car when traveling but I guess I will need a larger outdoor aerial when in France to get to the UK any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi Rich, there are loads of home base type antennas available. Have a look at half wave and 5/8th wave silver rod & fiberglass types.

Nevada in Portsmouth are a decent supplier and on the south coast for you. Check out this link for their C.B. antennas. https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/cb/cb-antennas/cb-base-antennas/

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
richfr

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 8:50 pm

GaryWilson wrote:
richfr wrote:

Hi Rich, there are loads of home base type antennas available. Have a look at half wave and 5/8th wave silver rod & fiberglass types.

Nevada in Portsmouth are a decent supplier and on the south coast for you. Check out this link for their C.B. antennas.   https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/cb/cb-antennas/cb-base-antennas/

73's Gary.

Thanks for that will check them out. I am traveling from Poole to the north east then Cumbria and back but can always ship equipment.
Back to top Go down
mickyboy
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
mickyboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-3300 M7ICK
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Higham ferrers, Northamptonshire. UK
Equipment Used : Icom 7300 Icom 7100, RT95, SS6900N V6. Sirio 827

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 9:48 pm

[/quote]

Thanks for that will check them out. I am traveling from Poole to the north east then Cumbria and back but can always ship equipment.[/quote]

Hi Rich,

Get on it buddy the more the merrier, a lot of people here in the UK use Knights for CB & Ham radio supplies, very reasonable prices and always helpful. There are a lot of 80 channel CB's that do both the UK and EU frequencies like the Alan 48plus, so you can use it here in the UK and in France, or something like the SS6900N . Link Below is for Knights CB.

http://www.kcb.co.uk/

73's

Mick
Back to top Go down
richfr

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys
Back to top Go down
Master Virus
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : Romeo Echo 137
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Halifax
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 Antron 99

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 4:19 pm

How's it going with the equipment?
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 5:32 pm

richfr wrote:
What kind of range can you regularly get on SSB?
I live in mid Brittany France should I be able to get into the south west UK?
Have seen a vid of people in the UK talking to the south of France so it must be possible if conditions are good, but do you think I could manage it regularly.

If you can get up on to high ground mobile, or are lucky with your home QTH, it should be possible in flat conditions. I often operate portable from a hill on the Isle of Wight and regularly talk to people in Normandy and Pas de Calais. Brittany is a bit further, but I've worked a station at Brest in flat conditions.

When the skip is up you will probably find the signal bounces over southern England and you are hearing people further north.
Back to top Go down
Allshep

Times Thanked : 0

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 3:32 pm

When conditios are right i work all over france from north east england
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 am

So many variables what aerials used any power used height above see level etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far can you get on SSB?   How far can you get on SSB? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How far can you get on SSB?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: