Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
2022 9900 call Baofeng ALINCO president meter lincoln yaesu Mckinley Sirio sign power antenna anytone software display frequency callsign 6900 2023 list chart ss9900 supply Mobile
QRZ Database

There Is More Out There

Go down 
+2
mickyboy
John 68CT045
6 posters
AuthorMessage
John 68CT045
Contributor
Contributor
John 68CT045

Call Sign : 68CT045
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Carrickfergus / Northern Ireland - UK
Equipment Used : (Yaesu FT DX 1200) - (Superstar 6900V) - (SIRIO Gainmaster)

There Is More Out There  Empty
PostSubject: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2019 1:08 pm

There is more out there.

I have heard many saying that even though CB type stores are few in numbers they are selling a lot of antennas. I also brouse eBay and Facebook buy n sell.
While brousing I see loads of rigs, mics, psu's, amps etc being bought and sold. I also know many are buying Yaesus and other Ham radios to be used on the CB side.
The CBers that are buying the ham gear are chatting to other CBers and then earywigging on the Ham frequencies. I think the power of Facebook is helping the growth
of new and returning CBers. Where I live in an aera radious of about 15 miles we have a few dedicated channels on FM where groups of 4-5 sit each night, one of the
I sit on (27.790) there is always someone who will answer if you shout even if you think the channel is dead. Our channel is like pre 27/81 just taking the mick out of
each other. So we have about 3-5 channels in the 15 mile span and slowly hearing new voices looking radio checks etc.

The CB growth would boom if there were less channels and rigs like 6900's, now if we were limited to 40 or 80 channels and the word was being sent out from facebook
there would be a boom. But like I said too many channels for soo little people to look to see if there is anyone on.
Lets say someone is flicking arround the channels and on channel 34 two people have been chatting for hours, one takes a 10:3, now that channel is dead to the
guy who is flicking arround to see if anyone is on.
Don't get me wrong, having soo many channels is flipping amazing but between ones who have been on air for ever and is sitting on 555 or on a SSB net,
the new guy who bought a 40 channel cant hear anyone.
I think if everyone when not on USB DXing should nip onto their UK FM frequenies and try to look past what some call the muppet channels you might get more
new people to upgrade their new UK 40 channel rig to SSB. As I see it the Radio operators come in three stages, 1: new commer on UK/EU 40-80 channel FM -
2: The long time CB opperator up on 555 (who could drop down to the new users but won't) - 3: The person who started up un 40 ch AM and worked through 27/81
and EU channels, whent past the 555 USB and moved to HAM (now sitting on the high horse and looks down on the so called muppts)...
I realy feel for the new guy spending cash on a rig and antenna buzzing to key up and finding no one on UK FM when there are plenty on up away from his reach.
I personaly stick arround the FM on reachable channels and when non of my friends are on I tend to channel flick to see if any one is on the Lower End of the frequencies.

So, antennas/mobile antennas and rigs are being bought but not getting to use them because of dead channels....
Back to top Go down
mickyboy
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
mickyboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-3300 M7ICK
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Higham ferrers, Northamptonshire. UK
Equipment Used : Icom 7300 Icom 7100, RT95, SS6900N V6. Sirio 827

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi john, I get your point about a UK40fm only rigs, but I think most people who come into this hobby do so as returning CB'ers or newbies who I'm sure do research as to what radios and setups are used, and most returning users will go for a ssb rig as back in the day that was what most serious radio user used for continental contacts.. Most new radio's like the 6900 can scan more than one channel, as I do, I use my 6900 to scan between channel 19 fm and T5 usb which is mainly used for the usb calling channel and if I hear a call out I will answer. so just because they hear no one doesn't mean people are not there on FM.

73's

Mick
Back to top Go down
AppleTree
AppleTree

Call Sign : 26-CT-1319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Corringham , Essex.
Equipment Used : Various Radios & Antennas

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am

Hmm, I can't really see what the problem is I think the more channels the better.
Back to top Go down
John 68CT045
Contributor
Contributor
John 68CT045

Call Sign : 68CT045
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Carrickfergus / Northern Ireland - UK
Equipment Used : (Yaesu FT DX 1200) - (Superstar 6900V) - (SIRIO Gainmaster)

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I was only saying what I had seen over the past few months from many facebook CB groups. Maybe I have more time to see things arround me now than I had when I was younger and before my accident leaving me housebound and in front of a monitor for 14-16 hours a day. I have joined about 20+ CB groups and enjoy reading stories of their past CB days and seeing the new ones comming on from the stories from their parents had told them being mobile chatting before the mobile phones. There are people returning on the old legal 40 channels, mainly mobile and you have to remember not everyone even back in the day was on SSB. I remember driving mobile with my cobra 148gtl dx arround the towns on the UK FM bands to get eyeballs with soo many back then on thier 40 ch radios with GP 27 out the back of their house. Not everyone had the bigger rigs, and still dont want to DX. Even in our group we have a couple who have got the 6900's etc and only use between 1-3 channels...... OMG, I am soo sorry as I am typing this out and as soon as I typed DX I remember where I am, in a DX forum. I blame the meds I am on.

My apologies for this topic. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 8:26 am

John,

Don't worry about it mate. Nothing wrong with expressing thoughts and opinions, after all that's what places like this forum are for. (Amongst other things.)

I get your point about UK40FM and see a lot of online conversation too.

I think we all get a bit "rose tinted glasses" if we're old enough to remember the "good old days" and be hard pushed to replicate them today.

If you live somewhere where there's some FM activity with everyone close enough to reach, then you're lucky.
When everyone is further afield your only chance for a QSO or copy may be on AM or SSB.
Some people have different interests, a rag chew with someone local or catching that often elusive DX.
Horses for courses Very Happy

For me, it's all about getting out there.
You often hear the, "been listening for weeks and there's no one on". Just imagine if everyone's doing the same thing......listening.
Grab the mike and make a call!
If someone else is listening when you make a call, they may just call back. Very Happy

All the best to you,
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 8:55 am

Peronally I still prefer the "sound" of FM for chat kind of contacts to FM, where signals are good. Quite often on SSB on a net someone will be 100Hz off frequency one way, someone 50Hz off the other, and it can be a nuisance. There is a local net around the Solent still on 38FM and Sid runs his Sunday net in the south on 34FM. But most of the regular stuff is on SSB, and as people are further apart from each other now, it makes sense a lot of the tim.e.
Back to top Go down
Dogfish
Dogfish

Call Sign : CT2379
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Surrey Hills
Equipment Used : Grant 2 + Tankwhip mobile with Sirio Gainmaster 5/8ths homebased

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2019 7:33 pm

I get ya Ultimatemale. There are lots of channels and even more opens up when one becomes a Ham. The Ham/Muppet argument will continue forever as long as people discuss it. Personally I think we are all on the same hobby planet so should try to give the respect either way. I know good Hams willing to help and the same with Muppetts. ( not my preferred name for C B as that's where my "Roots" are).
I'd love more equipment, antennas, etc, etc to play with. Others don't want want that just a rig and a twig and a chat with their mates locally. Everyone's so different and we all change preferences slowly.
I love nothing better during the day to have a quick QSO on Ukfm. Sometimes I just pick up the mike and do a local weather report or traffic. It's surprising what does come back at ya. I also love to go out mobile and do a local USB net, challenging myself to find the furthest QSO. (Wales last week from Surrey so well happy the conditions opened up and allowed it).
The end of the day were all into radio in one way or another and we're kind of brothers in that hobby.
Great replies above BTW.
We are a sensible bunch and can work it out and get more people in by being exemplars to the hobby.

Peace and goodwill to all good buddy's!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: There Is More Out There    There Is More Out There  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

There Is More Out There
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: