Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

» 11m conditions
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:35 pm by SangueG

» Hello everyone
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:53 am by stalker

Keywords
Baofeng list sign lincoln president supply yaesu software Mckinley callsign 6900 antenna 9900 frequency power call ALINCO 2022 anytone chart Mobile ss9900 Sirio meter display 2023
QRZ Database

Returning Brit after 30 years.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbern invader
Gilbern invader

Call Sign : DC07
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : eltham
Equipment Used : CRT 6900n/Kenwood TS-450/148 GTL DX

Returning Brit after 30 years. Empty
PostSubject: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2022 9:00 am

Hi all
Having recently returned  to uk after 30 years living and working in west Africa I have finally moved into my new apartment 9 storey high and on top floor ideal for a home base antenna but there are some restrictions hence the post.
All my effects are on route to the uk via shipping container 5/6 weeks before arriving.
My dilemma is I can’t but up a permanent antenna sadly so require something that is quickly removed from my balcony out of sight of prying eyes,so I propose to use a 10m telescopic flag pole with a T2LT homemade but can’t seem to find exact measurements the radio is a CRT 6900N any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Dave (Gilbern invader)
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2022 10:40 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This subject has been talked about several times have a look at this link it's just one.
https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t1205-11meter-wire-antennas

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbern invader
Gilbern invader

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2022 11:20 am

Many thanks Alan.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2022 11:20 am

Hi Dave, welcome to the Charlie Tango forum.

You've already found the main issue with the T2LT in that there seems to be a whole bunch of different measurements with some able to build one successfully and others not with much frustration and angst(!)

I found a similar issue with a 'Townsman' antenna being a coax antenna for 2m Amateur Radio use I think coming from a Dutch Ham back in the 1970's/80's and bantered around later for 'Raynet' emergency activations. None of them worked unless you included the matching stub as shown in the 'original' design!
Much was lost with 'Chinese-whispered' history. Wink

If it helps any I did build this type of antenna for 10m work by following Tim's G5TM video instructions and sure enough like him it did tune very well on 11m from his original dimensions and had to be shortened for 10m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChAo3VObvC8

Typically after carefully packing mine away when we had our double glazing replaced earlier this year I 'lost' the damn thing! Must be in a box somewhere but wish I'd had it for the Charlie Tango 10m challenge. Rolling Eyes

I hope you successfully build one and able to use it in your apartment.

All the best,
Victor

SangueG and Gilbern invader like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2022 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum Dave.

As Alan has said, there's loads of info on here if you look around. That said, you do need to sometimes have a good look, then look again. I sometimes struggle getting the 'search' function to come up with results I am looking for. The thread he has posted for one.. I don't think I've spotted before, and it looks an interesting one, so thank you Alan.

Like Victor, I have followed a few of Tim G5TM's videos to make antennas. Also Mike M0MSN has many antenna construction videos on youtube. I think Mike's is titled a Gainmaster halfwave if you want to look it up. Anything I have made I have copied their measurements exactly, and they've just worked.

Hope you have fun making something. Let us know how you get on Smile

Victor and Gilbern invader like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Gilbern invader
Gilbern invader

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2022 10:36 am

Many thanks to Victor and sangueG for the welcome to the forum and the links to Tim/ mikes you tube channels so spent 3/4 hours watching them and got some good ideas.
So I have got hold of 25mtrs of low loss RG58 coax and started making the T2LT this morning.
So this is some more information from my flat,balcony to top of flat roof is 4.3 mtrs so having worked out the elevation above sea level I have a combined height of 65mtrs so I have ordered a 10m telescopic fibre glass flag pole to mount the T2LT which will give me a total height of 75mtrs so should be able to get out very well until my container arrives in the uk and should here in 5/6 weeks pending it being released by customs the I will have my beloved Antron 99 will be mounted on a quick release 5m aluminium pole.

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbern invader
Gilbern invader

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 pm

Update
Finally got my container 2 weeks ago from west Africa apparently it’s was sitting in Rotterdam harbour where my shipping agent found it so the only good thing was they waived the cost and gave me £850 compensation for inconvenience it caused.
So Cobra is back in the uk, I have made a gainmaster which is mounted on a 10m spider pole which is out performing the antron 99 with regular contacts in Jamaica,Bahamas,south/north America so well pleased for a homebrew antenna made for £15.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbern invader
Gilbern invader

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Returning Brit after 30 years. 41bee310
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning Brit after 30 years.   Returning Brit after 30 years. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning Brit after 30 years.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: