Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» RE:TC call sign (Issued)
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 7:53 pm by Nick100

» Hello from spain (Information requested)
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 6:29 pm by GaryWilson

» Call sign request (Issued)
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by GaryWilson

» Hello everyone- New Call sign Request (Issued)
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 6:16 pm by GaryWilson

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign (Issued)
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 6:12 pm by GaryWilson

» Call Sign Request
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 12:56 pm by radar

» CT call sign request
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 9:58 am by markymark

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
ATU Question Icon_minitimeToday at 9:39 am by Nightprowler

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
ATU Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:45 pm by John H

Keywords
list anytone Mckinley 9900 supply sign chart display call president 2023 meter callsign antenna lincoln power Baofeng 6900 frequency ALINCO Sirio 2022 yaesu software Mobile ss9900
QRZ Database

ATU Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve 26CT
Steve 26CT

Call Sign : 26-CT-4550, G7NEO
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Melton Mowbray
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 and Alinco DX70

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi All,

If I tune a 25-30 mHz mobile antenna to 28 to 30 mHz, can I use an ATU for 27 mHz?

Thanks 26CT4550

Victor and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 10:41 pm

Hi Steve,

You certainly can, although there may be many that say otherwise. Wink

Give it a go and I'm sure you'll be happy but I'll also give an explanation as to why below.
(This is for the benefit of any others reading too. Skip if you're easily bored!)

The most important thing with any sorting of matching solution is accounting for losses. Not so much in the actual ATU or matcher itself, (negligible when tuned 'correctly'), but the fact that the higher SWR due to the antenna now being too short will still be there after the ATU and so will any coax or feed line losses. All you're doing is keeping the radio happy with an impedance match.

The antenna will continue to work as it's still within it's design range but it may alter the radiation pattern a little.

A good (but sometimes contested) explanation is available here :-

https://palomar-engineers.com/non-resonant-vs-resonant-antennas

The actual SWR shouldn't be that far off so any losses in the coax after the tuner to the antenna on a short run will be fairly small.

You can check this with the Coax Loss Calculator available here :-

https://www.qsl.net/co8tw/Coax_Calculator.htm

From this you can deduce why so many hook ATU's up at the antenna end to avoid coax losses on long runs.

A good explanation is available here :-

https://owenduffy.net/antenna/iobr/

Towards the bottom of the page is a great explanation of a well known and common 'non-resonant' antenna i.e. the 5/8ths wave.

Many see 'resonance' (at 50 ohms) as the only 'true' way of using an antenna but often forget about commonly used antennas that usually have an inductor (or winding) within them usually utilising some sort of added capacitance too. Basically an impedance matcher doing the job of what an external ATU would do.

For other antenna solutions feed line losses are alleviated by using a different feeder system. I utilise open line feeder (600 ohm) on my own antenna system meaning that losses are kept to a minimum even though my radio and ATU are in my shack with the antenna being further way. In such a way even though I could have a very high SWR I happily run only one 66 foot long antenna to cover all bands & frequencies from 1.8MHz(160m) through to 10m(28-30MHz). I can always get a SWR of 1:1 and it actually works well too.

Of course even a 50 ohm dummy load will give you a 1:1 SWR across a wide range of frequencies but it doesn't make it a good antenna!

With contacts from the USA to Japan my setup certainly isn't a dummy load. ATU Question 1f44d

I've been told before now that, "if ain't a G it's CB", in scorn to my M7 licence yet I've learned the above in pursuit of my own antenna/radio happiness in the short two years I've been licensed. Of course there'll always be some that regardless of years licensed/experienced will disagree with it all.....but then some people firmly believe the world is flat too. Wink

Apologies for my waffle (I'm renowned for it here at CT) and a huge thanks to the few here that steered me on the right path towards antenna understanding.
(Still learning!)

All the best,
Victor

The DB, Ivy Mike and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 11:26 am

it's good waffle though Victor very educational to read it  Smile

Back to top Go down
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 12:58 pm

Excellent waffles as always Victor. I read it but it just bounces off the brain scratch. The links are all added to my bookmarks though for future reading, in hope that one day it will start soaking in. 
One day I will be clever....one day No

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steve 26CT
Steve 26CT

Call Sign : 26-CT-4550, G7NEO
QTH or Location : Melton Mowbray
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 and Alinco DX70

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Thank you for a superb and detailed relpy Victor.

Regards

Steve

26CT4550

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ATU Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATU Question   ATU Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ATU Question
Page 1 of 1