Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hello everyone
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeToday at 12:20 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

Keywords
meter 9900 president yaesu 6900 Baofeng Mckinley callsign Mobile call 2023 ALINCO supply power 2022 frequency chart antenna ss9900 anytone software display sign list lincoln Sirio
QRZ Database

Big Speaker!

Go down 
+5
Paddy
Alan Pilot
SangueG
Sharpshooter
Victor
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 11:05 am

Hi All,

I hope you're OK and enjoying your radio. Big Speaker! 1f44d

I've been building again to address some issues as a radio operator....

Listening fatigue.....that awful feeling when your ears just can't take that 'frying bacon' sound any longer!

Anyone who's listened to a HF or SW set for any period of time must have had that experience when it almost feels like yours ears are literally bleeding. Headphones can be great for picking up stations from the background noise but exasperate the problem even more.

Of course there's modern day solutions like DSP noise reduction but despite my best attempts at listening to such it does sound like Metal Mickey chewing on a bag of nuts with his head in a bucket, in a bathroom, with the bath running and shower flowing. That terrible metallic/watery sound! Some may get used to it and also have a vested interest in such expensive speaker systems but I just can't get on with them.

So I dug through my speaker collection, (I collect junk from everywhere so must have some twenty or so speakers in a big box!), hooking them up to my radio and using an audio spectrum analyser on my phone to check them out frequency wise. Pretty much all of them were former 'Hi-Fi' type speakers or the typical piddly little things found in most radios and were truly awful with big high frequency responses.

I also had a few 'big' speakers which I tested, again most were Hi-Fi types and had either very 'muddy' sounding audio or surprisingly high frequency responses. One however had a rather pleasant sound which turned out to be an eight inch bass driver I had originally purchased for a guitar practice amp. (A later Marshall amp replaced that. Wink )

So out came the table saw and a big old bit of 18mm plywood to build this......

Big Speaker! Speake10

None too shabby. Big Speaker! 1f44d

The 'audiophiles' out there may argue such stuff as 'closed-damped-ported' type speaker boxes but an open back is easy/simple to build and reduces that bass response somewhat. Wink

Now this is one big huge ugly speaker but with a bit of homemade black ink, (carbon black, meths, shellac and some carnauba wax), the ply is toned down somewhat, (much better than a rattle-can affair), and with a set of feet again from the junk box it doesn't look that far out of place....

Big Speaker! Statio10

Yeah, messy station at the moment but plans are afoot to build myself a proper desk when my gammy leg allows.

It doesn't look too out of place on my radio shelf but might makes those of the tidy 'micro-system-persuasion' station a little queasy. Very Happy

The important thing is how does it sound?

My honest opinion....absolutely blooming fantastic!!!!!

The high frequency 'shoosh' is all but gone that big old cone not being fast enough to respond to high frequencies. In fact on the audio analyser it cuts off in an almost cliff like edge exactly at 2.7kHz. There's obviously some bass response but the old Yaesu's I.F. SHIFT/WIDTH easily takes care of that also handling those of the ESSB habit of transmitting wide band audio. For AM use such as listening to the VMARS net it totally excels even allowing easy listening to those barely moving the S-meter!

Shortwave broadcasts are a joy to listen to and fulfill my continuous SWL desires wonderfully popping some much needed bass with a little twist of that I.F. SHIFT/WIDTH knob on the radio again.

I've been quite surprised at the audio quality (not Hi-Fi but 'radio' quality), especially for those stations sitting right in the back on the box. You can crank the volume and even pop in a bit of RF amp gain without being bombarded by the crackle of the cosmic background radiation thus pulling voices in from afar. Being just a passive speaker affair without an extra audio amplifier it doesn't suffer any effects from RF......but then you shouldn't be getting RF back in the shack anyway. Wink

Job's a good'un and I'm well pleased with my efforts.

It no longer feels like my ears are bleeding and I can spend many happy hours in front of this big old ugly box listening to my radio.

Now I'm on the hunt for an old 'Victor' type speaker grille, (or may have to make one), so that it looks more akin to a vintage/collectable speaker.

More of my my musings and waffling but I do so enjoy it.

All the best,
Victor

Leurbost2006, rabbi, Paddy, glenn dog, Alan Pilot, SangueG, Ace and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 3:54 pm

Nice job Victor 👍
I wish I hadn't thrown away old speakers. Especially my huge Aiwa speakers her indoors always complained about 🙄
Still have the system though 😉

I do still have speakers here and there and did think of utilising one as you have, when I get a homebase sorted .

I also had an old set of stereo/mono switchable headphones as you previously mentioned. They also had every conceivable adapter socket.

Like other possessions they succumbed to the "wife and kids" syndrome 🙄

rabbi, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 3:55 pm

PS.
Personally I would of stained it.
I prefer wood as wood 👍😁

PPS .

I hate that FM Muppet band SCRCHHHHHH ☹

A few weeks ago another breaker and I went onto AM.
Oh what joy . A relaxing hisssss and just how I remembered it before legal FM 👍

rabbi, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 6:35 am

Cheers Nige, much appreciated mate. Big Speaker! 1f44d 

Hee! I could have painted it bright pink and put 'my-little-pony' stickers on it with the actual speaker performance being the main criteria. Wink

I know what you mean with AM especially if the frequency is clear then such transmissions sound flipping wonderful!

You take it easy and have a great weekend.

Sharpshooter and KhannaeeM like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 8:31 am

Very well made Victor. I am sure it will bring much enhanced listening pleasure to you.

A long time ago I used to pick up loads of speakers and other audio equipment from car boot sales and had them connected to rigs. Almost nothing left here or at my dad's old place for me to play with now, sadly all cleared out long ago.

Understand your thoughts on DSP units. My little one works awesome with the G90, extracting signals that are so low in the noise that you think you might just be imagining something is there into fully intelligible enough ones that can be worked. However, every other radio I have plugged it into, the results are not so good, similar to that which you describe. And I bet it cost a darned site more than the total cost of your speaker.

No room for a speaker that size in my little corner sadly, otherwise I might start visiting car boots again. I know what my Mrs would say if that appeared by the side of our bed. Her opinion will differ greatly to ours.

* Side note to your last comment, I was once a member of the My Little Pony fan club. Pranked by a work colleague. Had regular mail from Hasbro for years Evil or Very Mad

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 8:48 am

Looks good that Victor very good indeed.
Not got any old speakers myself but did pick up some Wharfedale Modus 4 of them for a good price.
The sound from them if excellent very much how you describe yours.
2 in use and the other 2 still in the box over in the shed.
Well worth buying if you see some at the right price if anybody is thinking about going the external speaker way.
This is a pic i pinched of a bay advert.
Big Speaker! Speake10

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 8:50 am

Forgot to put they stand about 6 or 7 inches and are around 1.5kg ? i think but heavy solid.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 9:31 am

Ha! Ha! Very Happy  Laughing hard at your 'my little pony' club shenanigans Neal! Wink

I've heard your ventures with DSP and your G90 from that video you made and was very impressed as it all marries up well. I have played around with all sorts and I know that if the audio bandwidth is reduced first those DSP units seem to fare better....just unfortunately not for my old radio.

Yep, lucky having a room to myself and can fair old get away with filling it with junk without annoying the missus. Wink

Got to say that I'm loving this speaker and glad that I made it as my listening pleasure has increased multiple fold. Now finding myself spending some happy hours just simply listening to both Amateur and SW broadcast stations. Job's a good'un. Big Speaker! 1f44d

----------------------------------------------------

Those speakers look like they're up to the job Alan.

I rejected some 4" cones I had as they didn't sound great and the iphone audio spectrum analyser app confirmed that. (Handy little app!) I have various 'book shelf' speakers that I tested and they were also too 'Hi-Fi' for radio use. I did experiment with an old Sony graphic equaliser which although you could dial back the audio frequencies it still relied on the actual speaker response. In the end that fat old 8" cone did the job nicely. (A 12" affair from a bass guitar amp was way too 'muddy'.)

Anything that can enhance our listening experience is all good. Big Speaker! 1f44d

----------------------------------------------------

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

rabbi, Alan Pilot and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 2:00 pm

great job Victor, I think it looks great and more importantly sounds great well done buddy

rabbi, glenn dog, Victor and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Hiya Paddy mate,

I hope you are keeping well my friend. Big Speaker! 1f44d

Much appreciated and yes, sounds flipping wonderful! (Even if I do say so myself. Wink )

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ace

Call Sign : 26-CT-4203 - G0ACE
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Reading, Berkshire
Equipment Used : Mustang CB81, Tristar747, Belcom LS102

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 11:07 pm

Good work Victor, glad it worked so well for you. Smile

Sound and hearing are so varied and subjective, your approach of building something to your personal requirements, is probably the best way to go.

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2022 6:00 am

Very nice work done Victor, back in 1980 1985 i used a big hifi speaker, may of been a Hitachi , got great sound.

rabbi, Victor and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 pm

A good speaker or headphones makes radio much more pleasant. Thanks for sharing!

Victor and Ace like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Big Speaker! 1f44d

I am after all just trying to enjoy my radio in whichever way I can, even to the point of mustering together 'junk' that surrounds me. Wink

I hope you all enjoy your radio as enthusiastically well.

All the best,
Victor

Ace likes this post

Back to top Go down
KhannaeeM
KhannaeeM

Call Sign : 108-CT-357
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Glasgow
Equipment Used : Rotel 240-Superstar 2000-Maxcom 4E

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2023 1:40 am

You could of filtered the crackle through a set of the Duke of Hazard Dixie Horns..out a wee ping to it..lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Big Speaker! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Speaker!   Big Speaker! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Speaker!
Page 1 of 1