Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» South Coast PMR net report
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

Keywords
antenna Mckinley display 2023 power sign 9900 6900 supply frequency Sirio callsign meter lincoln Baofeng yaesu chart ALINCO call 2022 president anytone software ss9900 list Mobile
QRZ Database

'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Empty
PostSubject: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 11:57 am

Well the winter season is rushing upon us and I was looking forward to a bit of further activity on the lower HF bands with my recent antenna.
(Which up to now has been working surprisingly fantastically for it's short stature.)

Lo and behold I switch the radio on first thing and I have S6 of mains hum modulated RF noise all over 160 & 80m!! Shocked  'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  1f620

Shouldn't complain, if I take my carefully placed chokes and filters out it's almost S9+20!!!

Battery backup with mains off gives me exactly the same result....bugger.

One of the neighbours obviously has something 'new' (undoubtedly Chinese in nature) plugged in. Probably Halloween related.

Can't wait until they string up the megawatts, light up the whole village Christmas lights fairly shortly. ("I wish it could be Christmas every day" or at least from October to January!)

Go and discuss it with them? Yeah, tried that once a couple of years back, wholly unsuccessfully. Last Christmas I just gave up. Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't mind but I have no visible antennas hanging around, no cables, wires, mahoosive antenna towers or other such and have done everything in my power to ensure I emit no spurious RF with my piddly 10 Watts and balanced antenna system. Anything for a quiet village life.

Being 'considerate' is obviously a one way street.

Roll on January but at least I have the other bands.....for now(?)

For those of you experiencing such QRM from neighbourly activities, my heartfelt sympathies are definitely with you.

glenn dog, Ivy Mike, rekibrepus, Mick Lake and bertonumber1 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 7:57 pm

yes that's the direction i go in these days Victor several years ago i didn't bother too much but now i do we are getting older

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 3:28 pm

I just bought two of those USB bulbs, don't half put a load of rubbish.
40m on a IC705 in the same room is a sight to behold.

Only going to use them as emergency lights so not to bothered.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2022 3:31 pm

I know Christmas is normally very noisey RF wise and more so this year as I have a few strings of those USB Christmas lights. Rolling Eyes

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 9:26 am

Well some good news....

One neighbour has been very accommodating and investigations are under way.

The other has announced that their landing lights strip for Santa will be a no-go this winter due to electricity costs.

Bonus!! 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 2:55 pm

You are so lucky Victor.
Linda lover her lights not christmas ones but outside ones.
She has a 10mtr rope light no sorry 2 of them.
But then the decking has a 100mtr string of 800 yes 8 hundred led lights that cover the railings strung back and forth over and over then they head off to the big wooden swing round and round.
And the last 10mtr or so are in the cherry tree.
They are on a smart plug that is so easy to change the timing so as the nights draw in the lights come on earlier and earlier. 
So as the light starts to fail i lock up the shack no point lol.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2022 3:21 pm

Oh No! affraid

You have my sympathies Alan mate.

Luckily my Teresa isn't into such stuff and I still have to reassure her that there is no problem sticking the vacuum on if I'm in my radio room. Bless her. Smile

I've decided that my best route from now will be to beef up my station a bit to prevent such problems as usually the neighbours are completely unaware and innocent to such stuff. It is just my hobby after all and the manufacturers should really be taking responsibility for such nonsense.

I've done well to reduce much of the QRM down by several S-points but still feel I can do better. Problem is, now I've got to dig behind this desk and shelving unit to reach my homebrew mains filter!!!
(Not easy with a gammy leg.)

I've got some more ferrites I've dug out after noticing I still get mains borne noise up the electrics earth connection and realised I'd filtered the heck out of the live and neutral only. That'll learn me! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.    'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Tis the season for silly neighbours, fah-lah, etc. etc.
Page 1 of 1