Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Call Sign Application
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

Keywords
sign list callsign 2023 software ss9900 Sirio 9900 2022 meter chart display Mobile ALINCO yaesu Mckinley 6900 power antenna lincoln Baofeng anytone frequency supply president call
QRZ Database

Concerns about interference

Go down 
+3
Alan Pilot
Victor
13oots2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

Concerns about interference Empty
PostSubject: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 6:35 am

I live in a block of flats, second floor, and I believe the TV equipment is located in my section of loft. Have bought a CRT 6900n and a Thunderpole 1/2 wave Hi Gain. I am not allowed to have an external antenna, so to start will be poking the Thunderpole through my loft hatch, it will probably have to go in at a slight angle. Am I asking for trouble with interference, or is a case of just going with it and seeing what happens?

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 8:07 am

Hi Mark,

Always a pain when trying to run a decent antenna setup within apartment/flat dwellings.

Nowadays with many running internet streaming television services the chances of affecting anyone are greatly diminished than ever before. However I do know that there are many stalwarts insisting on picking up terrestrial services (local news is one of many reasons) but with digital broadcasting your chances of causing interference are diminished too. 

With such a close proximity to other devices through you do stand much more chance of causing interference but the bain of it all will be interference caused to you.

With an end-fed antenna such as the setup you mention you will likely pick up the buzz, squeal and hash of just about every electronic device around you and in an apartment environment every neighbours devices too!

If you land up with anything less than S9 of noise you'll be lucky.

Running a 17 foot long antenna leant over to accommodate the limited space may very well cause you some issues too.

But then again, never say never and try everything at your disposal or ingenuity to get on air. Some manage well with bits of wire strung around, magnetic loops and the like, (myself very much included), yet still manage sufficient or good radio conditions to allow many contacts to be made. (My bit of 'lawnmower lead' in my loft has bagged me worldwide contacts!)

I wish you all the best in your endeavours, have fun and if something doesn't work first time don't be despondent but instead try something else.

All the best,
Victor

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2022 8:55 pm

Had the antenna arrive today, I had more roof clearance than I first thought, it is now poked up straight through the loft hatch. It really is an inelegant solution, but is the best I can manage for now.

Hopefully the 6900N. PSU and coax will arrive over the next couple of days, then will see where I am and if anyone is around my neck of the woods. Had a look at the directory for Dorset and there seem to be quite a few people registered, some are over a big hill and most about 20-25 miles away.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2022 9:42 pm

I was trying to remember where I'd seen someone put an antenna up inside their house and sure enough it was our old 'Fred In The Shed' :-

https://youtu.be/Z8vehgbxCcc

Seemed to work although with the warnings about RF burns etc.

You can but 'suck-it-and-see' and proceed on from there. Wink

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2022 6:26 am

Mt first was the DV-27 on a biscuit tin at the top of the stairs.
24 or 23?? channel AM radio connected to a car battery and it worked.

Victor and peewee norfolk like this post

Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2022 1:33 pm

Well, the planets aligned today and pretty much everything arrived 6900N, coax and PSU, there was a bonus with the 6900N which was the Foundation Licence Now book. The transceiver all seems to be working OK and my SWR seems to be fine with no adjustment. Noise levels are quite high at S7 but that is to be expected, did hear someone earlier on FM channel 19, it was too faint to hear properly. Am hoping things clear up a little tonight and am ready for action.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2022 2:17 pm

Turn down that RF gain a bit or wait until nightfall and that noise level should drop.

Have fun! Concerns about interference 1f44d
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2022 4:20 pm

I sat here all day yesterday and not a sausage, s7 of interference all day and all night, I have come to the conclusion that my roof tiles and bricks must be radioactive kryptonite. My only other solution will be dangling a Thunderbolt SSD12+ out of my living room window. That faces South and has far fewer buildings than the rear of my flat.

I have guesstimated that I will have about 10ft of antenna hanging down the front of the building in the hope of clearing some noise. There is little else I can try, as I can't fix the antenna or drill holes for fixing the coax in place, so will be using a lead weight wrapped in insulation tape as an anchor so if it does blow round people won't hear it banging around.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2022 5:49 pm

Don't give up too early Mark.

I know that when I first came back to CB a few years ago I sat for days (and weeks) not hearing a damn thing. When I did hear my first contact and tried to QSK I was told in less than polite terms to sling me hook! Rolling Eyes

However come that first summer on air I got to enjoy some good skip action into Europe and all my doubts about my setup faded away. Concerns about interference 1f44d

Wasn't long before I decided to take my ticket and since being a Ham with all those frequencies at my disposal there hasn't been a quiet day since. Loving every minute!
(Shamefully I haven't done much in the way of CB since.)

Give it some time and your patience will be rewarded.

(Still looking forward to congratulating you when you complete your Foundation course and exam!)
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 6:37 am

Echo Victor's "don't give up". I played around lots until my noise came down. I am not in the same situation as you Mark, but having permanent large antennas outside at my QTH just can't happen. Even if you eventually get to a point where your noise is lower but still higher than you want, when you pass your ticket there will be other bands available to you and the noise will surely be lower on at least some of them, plus you can then play with digital modes which appear to cut through the noise better.

Don't know if you've got a balcony? If not you might be able to utilize a window and fix something like the below vid on it. Not really a permanent solution, but can be set up quickly, and being outside it may pick up less noise. I set up something similar in my garden on Saturday mornings last year albeit in a different configuration, and it worked well being fed near the ground. So I am sure you'd get contacts feeding it higher up at your level.

Half way through you'll see he makes a few 10m and 12m contacts so it would work on 11m. You'd just might need to play with the wire length a bit get the SWR reading ok 11m as the 6900 doesn't have a tuner.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2022 11:16 am

a nice wire dipole over your balcony will work well
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2022 11:27 am

stephen Gunrunner wrote:
a nice wire dipole over your balcony will work well

No balcony here sadly, just modern vertically sliding windows. I can probably get about a 10ft drop down the front of the building with a Thunderbolt SSD12+ before I get the antenna over my downstairs neighbour's window, probably not the best solution, but best I can try for now.
Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 5:30 am

I use to live in a apartment before i got my house, used a center fed di-pole hung horizontally across the eves of the roof of my apartment, ground/RF noise was only S2 to S3, not perfect but useable, could also run it vertically along the corner of the building if i wanted to, it just might help you. 
Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2023 9:57 am

Hi 👋🏻 
I was going to suggest you throw a Hawkins wire antenna out the window 🪟 
It worked for me on the Pmr band. 
Remember to plug it in or hold the end though or you’ll have to run down and get it back!🤷‍�😆
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerns about interference   Concerns about interference Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerns about interference
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: