Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
2022 list supply 6900 chart display yaesu power president sign Sirio Mckinley anytone meter lincoln call 2023 ALINCO 9900 antenna frequency software Baofeng callsign Mobile ss9900
QRZ Database

I think that I found the problem

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

I think that I found the problem Empty
PostSubject: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 4:12 am

Have spent the best part of 3 days listening without a signal and S7 of noise day and night. I took my antenna down from its position of poking through the loft hatch and ran my multi meter across the coax.... dead short. I then tested the cable and all was fine, probed the antenna and surprise surprise a short.

I didn't think I would be needing the box for the Thunderpole 1/2 Gain Wave so binned it, typical that it is faulty, have ordered a Sigma 2011 Skip Master 5/8 wave in the hope that will solve my problem that should be here Monday. If not will try dangling a Thunderbolt SSD12+ out of the window, to see if that improves matters.

So much for my theory of radioactive roof tiles.

Red Rooster LN-4614 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 6:13 am

Hi Mark. Your 1/2 wave, and the 5/8 when you get it, will show a short between the centre and the outside of the connector. It might not sound right to you, but this is by design.

That said, not saying that there isn't something wrong with the antenna.. there might be an issue with a connection in the base, but personally I think there are other things going on in close proximity that are throwing the SWR out. I'll give an example: When I made a 1/4 ground plane for my loft, the SWR was only good when my loft latter was in the  extended position, if I put the loft ladder back up into the away position the SWR went up. Anything nearby can make it play up.

Are you able to take the 1/2 wave out anywhere to try a spot of portable work? If you can, it might be worth trying to see if it works properly.

I wouldn't get hung up on the S7 noise. My 6900 shows a higher S level than my other radio, but I think the meter is just "generous" signals still get through and over the noise.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 6:22 am

As Neal said above.
Your not the first to blame the aerial when finding the dead short.
You will fine many have the same short.
Might sound daft but just for a test could you get it out the window and let it hang down.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 6:44 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Might sound daft but just for a test could you get it out the window and let it hang down.

lol. You're thinking the same as me. Just posted a related idea in the interference post  Smile If it were me, I would definitely try sticking it out the window to see what it does Smile
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 8:01 am

As mentioned Mark, you wouldn't be the first to make the mistake of measuring the matching coil (inductor) in the antenna which is a short at DC (direct current) on your multimeter 'test'. (But not at RF.....inductors can seem strange at first.) Your antenna is more than likely absolutely fine.

At least you were told politely without someone ripping you a new one.

It's funny your mention of 'radioactive tiles' making me recall a 'conversation' on air where someone tried telling another operator an antenna won't work in a loft/attic/roof space because of....and I quote, "radioactive isotopes contained in the material of the tiles".  Rolling Eyes

There's nothing like a bit of 'pseudo-science' to make bovine manure theories sound plausible. Wink

I did make mention before of not giving up but I'll add to that and also say don't lash out money thinking it will always cure your woes. I've seen too many new operators spend out left & right then land up giving it all up as a 'bad' lot sticking everything on the 'bay' trying to recoup their apparent losses.

Your Amateur Radio Foundation course is coming up soon, enjoy it, pass it and then maybe you can trade in one of those 'surplus to requirements' antennas for a nice VHF/UHF handheld.......but then you're gonna have to figure out how to program it(!)

Often the main 'fun' aspect of the radio interest is the challenges it provides and the rewards of a smile at getting it all working and making a radio contact.

It still does for me. I think that I found the problem 1f44d
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2022 12:32 am

Victor wrote:

Your Amateur Radio Foundation course is coming up soon, enjoy it, pass it and then maybe you can trade in one of those 'surplus to requirements' antennas for a nice VHF/UHF handheld.......but then you're gonna have to figure out how to program it(!)

Programming won't be an issue, I am very computer-literate.

Did the first module today and took the sample questions for it, 100% score so am pleased with that. I understand it is a short easy starter module but found it easy to follow, I need to print out the 4-page help sheet and should be well on my way.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2022 11:04 am

Am back to the radioactive roof tiles theory, that or kryptonite, as I put up my new antenna and still loads of noise and no contacts. I did shine a torch up in the loft and the roof tiles seem to have a thick thermal backing, knowing my luck it contains foil and is a very effective Faraday shield. As for poking the antenna out of a window, it would be very obvious and am sure one of my less friendly neighbours would report me. Oh! The joys of living in a housing association block of flats.

Next step is to rule out if my SS6900 is faulty on receive. Very much doubt it as I did pick up a very faint signal this morning, not enough to make out any words but definitely a conversation taking place.

After that, I have the Thunderbolt SSD12+ to try dangling out the window, far less visible than a 5/8 poked up through an open window. As you can probably tell, I really want this to work and by hook or by crook am going to get there in the end. I just need for it to arrive, apparently it takes a few days to be made up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think that I found the problem   I think that I found the problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think that I found the problem
Page 1 of 1