Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Requesting Charlie Tango Callsign
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 3:51 pm by KC8EMH

» New Member (Issued)
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

Keywords
Mckinley president ALINCO display 2022 lincoln callsign Sirio antenna supply 2023 chart meter ss9900 Mobile yaesu 9900 list 6900 software anytone call Baofeng power frequency sign
QRZ Database

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity

Go down 
+8
SangueG
Sharpshooter
43CT016
Tonyvic
Alan Pilot
John123
skyrider
Victor
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Empty
PostSubject: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 4:07 pm

After constant moaning about needing to tidy up my shack and almost recently losing the room that I have it in I have finally got some sense of 'order' to it!

(Big thanks to those who have made mention of shacks just recently - gave me the kick up the ass required to post details up.)

Left side :-

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Img_0110

Right side :-

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Img_0111

I know, some will still cringe without site of an 'executive' desk accompanied by an Apple computer and flashy waterfall rig but this little lot cost me (as the title states) almost nothing. Smile

Everything was either donated and repaired/restored by myself along with some homebrew equipment or generously gifted to me. Along with various bits of wood scrounged, donated or otherwise salvaged for 'furniture' (simple hammer, saw, screws affair!) it sit's quite nicely in the space I am so lucky to have.

Still could do with a few finishing touches (without making a flipping mess of it all!) and you really don't want to see the opposite side full of guitars, amps, leads, books and my wood turnings!

I do have at least a kettle with sundries on the far right side (out of shot) to make a brew and get to enjoy most of the RF spectrum from 1.8MHz to 446MHz.

Can't be bad and keeps this old 'crip' happy. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d

All the best,
Victor

Want to show off/share your 'shack' setup? Then pop along to the following link and make a new post :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/f27-shack-rig-gallery

John123, Razz229, Les-1, morris, glenn dog, SangueG, Tonyvic and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Empty
PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Nice radio room there Victor it looks purpose built i like it  Smile

John123, glenn dog, Victor and Mtn. Mule like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 9:09 pm

Hi Lionel,

Hope you are keeping well. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d

Yeah, sort of coming together and I think in many instances by luck rather than design! Wink

A lot of what's in here is pretty much someone else's "junk" I've accumulated over time but luckily I've been able to repurpose it. All good fun!

John123 and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2023 11:52 pm

Hello Victor,

The shack looks great.👍👍👍 It is even cooler that you have done it on a budget and repaired some of the equipment too. Your tech skills are top class.😎😎😎

73s John.

glenn dog, Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 4:15 am

hey i have just noticed is that a little black fridge Victor is that to keep the tinnies cold  Laughing Laughing

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 5:43 am

Hi John,

Really appreciate that mate. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d 

Been great cobbling all of this together and have taken pride that I've either fixed, repaired or built most of it myself. Hasn't been an instant job but learned a lot over the last couple of years or so.

All the very best to you,

Victor

Tonyvic and Mtn. Mule like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 5:53 am

Mine is a pigsty and your putting me to shame now Victor.
I need a warmer dry day as i would have to put stuff outside while sorted mine out.
Small black fridge to keep your milk in for a brew ???.

Victor, Tonyvic and Mtn. Mule like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 5:59 am

Lionel, 

That fridge was discarded by one of my daughters and destined for landfill before I saved it. (Rather she gave it to me knowing I'd be able to do something with it.) Power supply didn't work so I repaired it and the first time I plugged it in my HF reception was totally wiped out!! RF noisy as heck!  Shocked

With a redesigned and built power supply it no longer obliterates radio reception and chills nicely. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d 

You couldn't fit a tall tinny in there, about big enough for a can of coke! But my missus fills up a little milk jug for me in the mornings to keep me going with brews for the day. (Little kettle and tea/sugar/coffee pots on that side too. Wink )

Oh, and a 90's Kenwood stereo/tuner next to it (again, landfill saved) so I can listen to another type of radio....Radio Caroline.

Also an Alexa device hooked into it.....so I can call my better half when I run out of milk. Very Happy

Razz229, Tonyvic, Kookie1947, Mtn. Mule and Alex728 like this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 6:03 am

sounds good nothing wrong with recycling Victor it all makes for cheap living

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 6:06 am

radio caroline , my dad used to listen to that years ago it used to be moored not far from the isle of man

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 6:10 am

Hi Alan mate,

Well I'm not making promises but now I have something sorted a bit more permanently I'll do my very best to keep it tidy! Wink

No build progress but just a final Ta-Dah. Did enjoy seeing your shack build. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d 

It looks tidy from this shot but a flipping wreck the opposite side of the room!! 

We do have lots of little bits of junk (ahem useful items) with our hobbies but I think I'll handle that with the little cupboard and drawers I've saved. That and all the ice cream tubs I keep salvaging to stop stuff rattling in drawers....roll on summer for more ice cream tubs!
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 6:16 am

Can't beat a bit of Radio Caroline.....music more in tune for some of us old farts! Very Happy

(Modern 'nasal' crooning and autotune horridness is just awful!)

Mind you, most musicians nowadays 'recycle' too......just other peoples music! Wink

Razz229, Tonyvic and Mtn. Mule like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 2:30 pm

I used to listen to Caroline with a little radio in bed when i was a kid.
Victor we are getting old and they all know now lol.

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 2:39 pm

Very nice shack Victor, shame about radio Caroline! lol!

Radio London (BIG L) all the way for me.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi Tony,

Ta very much, shack's doing the job right now. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d

No accounting for taste with our preference to radio listening. Wink
Hee! Hee! Very Happy We should all enjoy what we enjoy and how we enjoy it. Mind you I can hear Caroline on the old 648k/c's MW and when I shout it up on the 'Alexa' it doesn't scream at me about BBC Licensing(!)

Hope you are keeping well.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 3:01 pm

Here Alan, (sshhh), me too! Very Happy

Probably all those great old stations responsible for me building radios as a kid too. Used to love Radio Luxembourg as well.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 6:24 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Tony,

Ta very much, shack's doing the job right now. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d

No accounting for taste with our preference to radio listening. Wink
Hee! Hee! Very Happy We should all enjoy what we enjoy and how we enjoy it. Mind you I can hear Caroline on the old 648k/c's MW and when I shout it up on the 'Alexa' it doesn't scream at me about BBC Licensing(!)

Hope you are keeping well.

Hi Victor,
I will post a pic of my 'Starter for 10' shack in the next week or two, just need to get away from FT8 etc. and tidy it a bit.
I must admit I do sometimes listen to Caroline these days, but probably wouldn't if the BIG L was still going! Razz Laughing

I'm good thanks, I trust you are too?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 7:48 pm

HI what station is radio caroline on, thanks
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi Lionel,
as Victor said it's on 648/kc's MW but there are a number of other ways, see Radio Caroline Online

Tony 73

Razz229 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 5:58 am

Tony Blackburn still on there is he lol.

Edit
Strange i just had an ft8 contact LX1RFJ in Luxembourg.
That was another radio station i listened to years ago Radio Luxembourg.
This is right off topic but i think Victor started the stray lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 6:48 am

Are you sure you're actually using that shack?  Mine only looked that neat the day it was built! Very Happy

Nice work though.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 7:18 am

Tony,

Would be great to see your set up and in fact anyone's should they so wish to post up a picture. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d 

All as well as can be expected here mate, often that's the best we can ask for. Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan,

You know I'm a terrible admin when it comes down to hard and fast 'rules'.....anything radio related is fair game in my book. Wink

Hiya Jeff,

You're right, it's still fairly new and I did tidy up a bit for the shot. (Even unplugged the mics to make it a bit more photogenic! Wink )

Great to have a bit of 'organised' space to retreat to for some radio fun. Actually sorted my electronics stuff out a bit too so I can enjoy some homebrew construction without dropping blobs of solder over the radio gear!

Cheers mate, much appreciated and I hope you are keeping well.

Big thanks to all for your replies to my junk-built piece of heaven. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d 

I've shown you mine, now show us yours. Wink Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 10:01 am

Nice shack Victor.
It certainly appeals to my OCD nature 👍🏼😁
It doesn't matter what equipment you have as long as it makes you happy. Especially the sense of achievement you must feel repairing the radios and building the layout up 👍🏼

I still haven't got my homebase gainmaster up 🙄 too cold, too tired after nights and still haven't sorted a pole ☹
But I will 👍🏼
The caravan base will probably be first.
I'll get some pics up as soon as it's done 😉

At least my rigs are back in the car 🙂

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Img-2014

John123, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 10:49 am

Hi Nige,

Much appreciated mate. My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity 1f44d

I totally agree on the radio front, it doesn't matter what you have but rather what you do with it!
So long as that's mostly enjoying yourself then who's to argue. Smile

Glad you're at least running a mobile setup as there's nothing worse than having a radio interest and no radio to scratch the 'itch'. I know you work hard long shifts mate but wishing you well for a bit of time to enjoy further getting your setup sorted. Look forward to some pics.

73's

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2023 11:56 am

Sharpshooter wrote:
Nice shack Victor.
It certainly appeals to my OCD nature 👍🏼😁
It doesn't matter what equipment you have as long as it makes you happy. Especially the sense of achievement you must feel repairing the radios and building the layout up 👍🏼

I still haven't got my homebase gainmaster up 🙄 too cold, too tired after nights and still haven't sorted a pole ☹
But I will 👍🏼
The caravan base will probably be first.
I'll get some pics up as soon as it's done 😉

At least my rigs are back in the car 🙂

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Img-2014
Cool mobile setup, Nige.👍

glenn dog, Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity   My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My updated 'Shack' - Almost no cost thanks to others generosity and a bit of 'recycling' ingenuity
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next