Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» Hello everyone
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 am by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 pm by John H

» Call sign request
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by nmasterson

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

» Replacement K-PO DX5000 Microphone
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:42 pm by Lynton

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by GaryWilson

» RE:TC call sign
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by Nick100

» Crossing the pond
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 am by Dutchie19

Keywords
president frequency Sirio meter ss9900 software yaesu 2022 9900 power call sign ALINCO list display supply 2023 6900 chart anytone lincoln callsign Baofeng antenna Mobile Mckinley
QRZ Database

Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rusty

Call Sign : 108-CT-500
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stirling, Central Scotland main QTH, and Poitiers, Western France
Equipment Used : Icom706 mk2. Alinco dx10

Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Empty
PostSubject: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Hello everyone,
Has anyone done the mod on the mk2g ?
I've watched many videos on the removal of the smd, but my radio looks different by having two smd's.
Do I remove them both or just the one on the right ?
Many thanks.  
Rusty CT500
Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod 20230412
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 5:36 am

Hi Iain,

All fun stuff this 'modding' malarkey isn't it? Wink

The number of diodes present depends on the country or radio region the unit was destined for, yours looks like a UK version.

Remove both and the radio should become fully open.  Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod 1f44d 

Don't believe me? (Why would you trust some old git on a forum eh?)

You could trawl through the circuit diagram on the service manual :-

https://www.repeater-builder.com/icom/pdfs/ic-706mk2-svc-man.pdf

(Best of luck with that one)

Scour the web further :-

https://baltic-labor.de/2022/03/ic-706-mkii-frequenzerweiterung/

(This is the mod in German but for a US market rig)

Be confused even more :-

https://www.qsl.net/z33t/ic-706mkiig_tx_mod_eng.html

(He left a diode in place)

Remove them all in a Japanese version and you still won't get access to all the CB frequencies. Wink

Still doubt me? Then remove the one on the left of your image, try it and then remove the other after you've found out it isn't fully opened.

As per usual the typical warnings apply.....DO THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK!

If you fluff it up by stuffing in your grandfathers old plumbing soldering iron, or damage the printed circuit board trying to get some wire cutters in there then that's on you and nobody else.

Someone's bound to come along and place a "seed-of-doubt" but that's the way of forums nowadays...."He ain't even got one on his equipment list!"  Rolling Eyes

Best of luck. Oh, and all the best,

Victor

GaryWilson and rusty like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
rusty

QTH or Location : Stirling, Central Scotland main QTH, and Poitiers, Western France

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks for your brief reply 😆, and advice.
I've not done this type of surgery for a long time, so waiting for a new pointy soldering iron to arrive. Meantime I'll look at your links. You're correct, mine is UK version bought in Haydons many years ago .... If it fails, my Alinco dx10 will arrive in next week or so 🤩 Thanks again Victor, much appreciated, and I wish you a good weekend. Rusty

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 10:23 am

I'm known to 'waffle' Rusty. Embarassed
(But I like to do my best to help out where I can. Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod 1f44d )

Proper 'pointy' soldering iron should do the job. Smile

Have a great weekend and again, best of luck with it all!

GaryWilson and rusty like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 am

A couple of nice dollops of flux such as Amtech 559 will make the job easier. Just make sure to clean the residue off after desoldering. This advice comes from someone who is terrified of components smaller than a 20W wire wound resistor.

rusty likes this post

Back to top Go down
rusty

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 9:10 am

Thank you for advice. Going to try the mod this weekend, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Bruce

Call Sign : 26-CT-4756
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : St Albans Herts UK
Equipment Used : President McKinley EU Long wire

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 9:26 am

I’ve never found flux helpful for removing components - for 2 pad (and more) devices the problem is getting all the pins/pads hot at once
And Then, removing the device without lifting any tracks (particularly important if the component might/will be replaced later )

For very small devices adding a little new solder to one end and leaving the iron there will also soften the other end enough that you can slide or flip off the component. It may come loose/off on the iron but otherwise slide is preferred as less likely to spread solder or lift pads. If extra side pressure is needed a cocktail stick won’t damage the board as it slips ! (Unlike the iron)

If you’re unsure give yourself a 1day training course with any old router etc that has SMD components. Sit yourself down and remove the components until you can do it quickly and cleanly every time.

For components with 4 or more pins a desoldering heat gun is pretty essential and it will take you a lot of tries to learn to get them off cleanly.

For fitting new parts or cleaning up pads (why?) a small amount of no-clean rework flux in addition to flux cored solder wire is often needed. Excess flux just leads to excess cleanup !

rusty likes this post

Back to top Go down
rusty

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 am

Thanks. Not done soldering for many years now, so I'm as you suggest, I'm practicing on an old Humax box. Got some servisol to help with clean up too 😀. Best wishes, thanks.

Bruce likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2023 8:32 am

Blimey more screwdriver mods then I can handle leave it to the experts. It is frustrating when I see the word on eBay screwdriver on some posts on the radio section I steer well clear of stuff when the seller says no returns due to screwdriver experts etc .we all claim to be soldering experts or something of that nature leave it to those in the know .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod   Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Icom 706mkiig extended tx mod
Page 1 of 1