Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Requesting Charlie Tango Callsign
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:51 pm by KC8EMH

» New Member (Issued)
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

Keywords
software power 6900 lincoln ALINCO list chart yaesu callsign Baofeng Mobile president Mckinley 2022 frequency sign anytone antenna call display ss9900 2023 supply meter 9900 Sirio
QRZ Database

Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?

Go down 
+3
Sharpshooter
Alan Pilot
Tony1091
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Empty
PostSubject: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 9:50 am

Hi all,

I am looking for some opinions here. I have tried for 12-18 months to do some dx'ing - unfortunately I am yet to make a contact. I have been working an inverted v  dipole in the loft using only 4w radios on UK40 and EU40, I have heard plenty just don't.feel like I am getting out. 

As those of you I am sure will have done before me calling CQ CQ CQ until blue in the face and to receive no contact can be a little disheartening. 

This brings me on to my dilemma, do I buy a linear Amp to provide 40-60w (real power) at say £100 and keep running.my FM/AM rigs - will this guarantee success? 

OR

Do I buy a Multimode / SSB radio with similar output power and the additional modes (LSB & USB) at say £200

I appreciate many people use SSB for DX and seemingly any reasonably local nets appear to have gone to USB also which is a shame for those with FM capability only. 

Apologies for an odd question I guess like all hobbies the answer is not always just about throwing more money at something to make it right.

I also have a T2LT on a  pole which I will be using this season for my DX activities. 

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Regards, 

Tony

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 9:57 am

To add to my query above - I am looking at the CRT 6900N / Anyone AT5555 at present and so if anyone has any experience, good & bad of these radios I would be interested to hear.

Many thanks.

Tony
26CT4488

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSun May 07, 2023 12:58 pm

I would go for the CRT-6900N/Anytone-AT5555.

Cozzmik and Tony1091 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 1:30 pm

Hi Tony.
Knights have a used, as new and boxed CRT SS 9900 v4 for £169 if that's any good to you.

More power than the 6900 and better clarifier and mic.

forzacfc likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 1:48 pm

Hi Sharpshooter - thanks for your message, I will go and check it out 👍
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Hi Tony.

Before doing either option I would consider your antenna situation. A loft antenna is a big compromise and at higher powers could cause all sorts of problems with regard to RFI. The attenuation on RX & TX will be significant also.

Is it possible to get an external antenna erected the difference will be like night and day! You say you have a T2LT to put on a pole is this going to be outside?

The majority of 11 meter DX will be on and around 27.555 which might steer you towards a multimode radio. That being said the midblock will open up to Europe in the summer E-skip season and as we progress towards solar maximum world wide DX will be fairly easy.

In summary your standard four watts isn't really enough to get yourself heard but if you can get your antenna up outside and add a little power you'll have as much chance as the rest of us. 

I would go for a RM KL203P to give a little more grunt and use the T2LT outside on a pole that will suit you for the UK & EU band radios you already have. In the future I'd grab a decent multimode radio you can still use KL203P linear and turn the power down on the radio itself.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

73's Gary.

Sydthecat, Paulyboy, Tristar and Kenton like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeThu May 11, 2023 12:54 am

Hiya Tony,

I would definitely recommend going to SSB for DX, so the SS9900 would open up a world of possibilities for you, especially as you have a T2LT already bud.....you'll get all over the world with that set-up!

Best regards,

Simon.

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kilomike
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Call Sign : 26CT360
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Icom/ Kenwood/ Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2023 4:42 pm

Hello Tony,
i have hyendfed home made in the Loft and a delta loop works from 40m-10m with the ATU, lucky i have no alum installation on the roof tiles inside the loft.
The End fed runs up the rafters and back down zig zaged to fit, i Can work what i hear within my power permission as I can only use 10w on HF, on comparisons to the antenna outside it is 2-3 s points down on receive but it works ok. It is a compromised antenna but it suits my needs.
I did hook up my WSPR to both of the antennas and with 200milliwatts I was heard in VK and ZL (Australia and New Zealand) also into the States and Antarctica. The attenna pattern shows a good spread all over Europe and beyond very happy with it.    
So don’t be dishearten using a antenna in the loft.  When working 11m i do turn on the amp as its inside, so for me i would look at getting another radio that can run more power or buy a cheap amp.
hope this helps regards  Tony

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeWed May 24, 2023 10:42 pm

Hi Toni 
Well as a radio operator for well over 40 years and having some well many rigs and antennas it's always a difficult one depending on your location and circumstances it's always a good thing to ask if your not sure whether it's on a forum or even a good radio shop say like Moonraker or Martin lynch they have a staff who are very helpful.
I run a few rigs my main one being the 7300 and a ICOM 706 MK2 and a CRT 7900 which is a good radio for mobile use. I'm a bit like you I use a G5 RV in the loft and a sirio 2016 which is very good BUT suffer from dreadful noise from some local to me and this hampers my dxing some days bloody annoying and also having power lines right above me also.so question is what antenna ? Well if your restricted for a decent vertical go for a dipole work well and fairly descret if you have arsy neighbours or if not run the wire dipole outside that will work well depending on the angle of it.
So hope this helps 73 ...

2TX240 and Tony1091 like this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 8:38 am

GaryWilson wrote:
Hi Tony.

Before doing either option I would consider your antenna situation. A loft antenna is a big compromise and at higher powers could cause all sorts of problems with regard to RFI. The attenuation on RX & TX will be significant also.

Is it possible to get an external antenna erected the difference will be like night and day! You say you have a T2LT to put on a pole is this going to be outside?

The majority of 11 meter DX will be on and around 27.555 which might steer you towards a multimode radio. That being said the midblock will open up to Europe in the summer E-skip season and as we progress towards solar maximum world wide DX will be fairly easy.

In summary your standard four watts isn't really enough to get yourself heard but if you can get your antenna up outside and add a little power you'll have as much chance as the rest of us. 

I would go for a RM KL203P to give a little more grunt and use the T2LT outside on a pole that will suit you for the UK & EU band radios you already have. In the future I'd grab a decent multimode radio you can still use KL203P linear and turn the power down on the radio itself.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

73's Gary.

Hi Gary,

I ended up getting a a RM KL203 linear (not the pre-amp version). It is night and day compared to standard power from my QTH. I have given up with the loft antenna and have had a few contacts on FM using the T2LT in my garden - well chuffed! The Mids have been a bit quiet recently, I read most bands are due to recent solar flares etc. Once the propagation picks up again I will try and see if I can make some contacts into Europe and beyond (who knows). I would love to get a contact on AM too - have heard the US a couple of times but appreciate it would be a big ask on 40W across the pond. 

Kind regards,

Tony
26CT4488
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 8:44 am

kilomike wrote:
Hello Tony,
i have hyendfed home made in the Loft and a delta loop works from 40m-10m with the ATU, lucky i have no alum installation on the roof tiles inside the loft.
The End fed runs up the rafters and back down zig zaged to fit, i Can work what i hear within my power permission as I can only use 10w on HF, on comparisons to the antenna outside it is 2-3 s points down on receive but it works ok. It is a compromised antenna but it suits my needs.
I did hook up my WSPR to both of the antennas and with 200milliwatts I was heard in VK and ZL (Australia and New Zealand) also into the States and Antarctica. The attenna pattern shows a good spread all over Europe and beyond very happy with it.    
So don’t be dishearten using a antenna in the loft.  When working 11m i do turn on the amp as its inside, so for me i would look at getting another radio that can run more power or buy a cheap amp.
hope this helps regards  Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply - I am very impressed with your contact down under on 200mw, that is amazing!

You make some really good points above. Since posting I have bought a cheap RM KL203 amp and have had some good copies so will stick at it for now and see how I get on. 

The next challenge is getting some DX contacts when the conditions are right. 

Kind regards,

Tony
26CT4488

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?   radio - Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Linear Amp or Multimode radio - what to do?
Page 1 of 1