Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
supply Mobile Mckinley sign president anytone yaesu 2022 ss9900 software 2023 list callsign ALINCO 9900 frequency Baofeng chart call lincoln Sirio power display meter antenna 6900
QRZ Database

Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lynton
Contributor
Contributor
Lynton

Call Sign : 26-CT-4805
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Peterborough, UK
Equipment Used : President McKinley EU or K-PO DX5000 plus + Sirio Signal Keeper, Horizontal Half Wave Dipole or Full Wave Delta Loop.

Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Empty
PostSubject: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2023 7:50 pm

Hi everyone,
      Thank you so much for reading.
I would like some recommendations for a microphone upgrade for the President McKinley EU CB.
The standard microphone is a little quiet on FM and for SSB I'd like my audio to be a bit more punchy so as to maximize the RF going out.
The radio is brand new so I really don't want to go inside tweaking the FM deviation plus that won't solve the SSB issue.
I have seen the K-PO NM-532 power mic comes highly recommended by some users but that particular microphone lacks channel up/down buttons so is there any other microphone you know of that has those buttons *and* works well with the McKinley?

Thank you

Lynton

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 8:21 am

Hi Lynton. I am not aware of any power mics with channel buttons on them. Not saying there aren't any out there, but during the whole time I have gotten back into radio transmitting I have not seen one. Definitely a gap in the market.

A lot of people swear by the K-PO mic on how great it is. I have listened to test reports people have done with them and I actually prefer the sound of the stock mic. I guess how well it might work for you will depend on your voice tones.. not all mics suit all voices. But as you've noted, it doesn't have the channel buttons.

I don't know if the stock mic has a foam insert? For us CRT radio users, many of us have taken out the foam in the mic which lets a little more audio through. That, like tweaking your deviation, means opening and messing with your new equipment, so I leave that up to you if you decide to try.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 10:18 am

Hi Lynton at the moment im using a HIGHGEAR mic by cobra it's an M75 on my mckinley and it works ok with the volume control at the rear but again it does not have the channel up/down buttons

Lynton likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lynton
Contributor
Contributor
Lynton

Equipment Used : President McKinley EU or K-PO DX5000 plus + Sirio Signal Keeper, Horizontal Half Wave Dipole or Full Wave Delta Loop.

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeSun May 14, 2023 4:51 pm

Thanks guys for the info!
It seems getting a power mic that has good audio with the McKinley and up/down buttons might be tricky.
That said since making that post I remembered I do have an Adonis AM-508E desk power Mic wired for my Yaesu FT-840 complete with up/down button. I could rewire that for the McKinley I suppose and hope it sounds OK.
To be honest I only used it once on the Yaesu so that's why I forgot I had it until I had a shack tidy up a few days ago.
As for the McKinley stock Mic having a foam insert I'm not sure and I don't really want to change anything or take apart the brand new bit of kit but maybe in a few months I'll feel differently.
That Cobra Highgear M75 Mic looks a beast; I really do like the styling so its a real pity there's no up/down buttons.

Thanks again for the replies. The amount of information available on this forum is amazing with everyone being so friendly and helpful to us CB returnees!

Lynton

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
FamousPablo
FamousPablo

Call Sign : 68CT357 / 2I0UBZ
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Co. Antrim
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-818ND | FT-300D | FT-991A / Anytone AT588 for 4m

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 8:48 pm

Hi Lynton,

Sorry for the late reply. Just bought the President Digimike and am now using it on my McKinley (NRC level 4). Reports have been superb and better than my KPo power mic.

Not cheap but stellar reports on AM and SSB. So, I have ditched the stock mic and KPo power mic and now only use the Digimike on my McKinley.

My 2p's worth.

Regards,

Paul

glenn dog and Lynton like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.eastantrim.net
Lynton
Contributor
Contributor
Lynton

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi Paul,
      No worries on the late reply.
I am glad you did post because I did actually buy a K-PO NM-532 Power Mic and then subsequently a DigiMike and I love it. The DigiMike really does have a feeling of quality with its nice long cable and decent weight and most importantly some good on air reports certainly on SSB.
I like that it has the up and down buttons on the Mic so I don't have to keep cranking the channel knob round on the radio. I'd rather replace a Mic than a radio because its worn out!

Cheers

Lynton
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?   Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Upgrade microphone for President McKinley EU?
Page 1 of 1