Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» full licence !!!!!
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 6:37 pm by VanRougeT4

» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 6:14 pm by VanRougeT4

» Requesting Charlie Tango Callsign
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 3:51 pm by KC8EMH

» New Member (Issued)
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

Keywords
Mckinley ss9900 Baofeng Sirio anytone 6900 supply software callsign president power call sign chart yaesu frequency 2022 Mobile lincoln 9900 ALINCO list display antenna 2023 meter
QRZ Database

Network Radio on the Zello Platform

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy2490
Andy2490

Call Sign : 108-CT-345
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Newcastleton
Equipment Used : Bearcat 980/ TTI 881

radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Empty
PostSubject: Network Radio on the Zello Platform   radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 12:11 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if this subject has been brought up before for discussion, I've been using Network Radio for a month now using the Zello platform and have enjoyed some good conversations with other radio ops from around the globe etc. What's people's opinions on the format and would you consider it radio or just another format for talking liking wattsapp et. Also if there was enough interest would if not be a good idea to start up a CTDX channel, just interested in peoples thoughts.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Network Radio on the Zello Platform   radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2023 3:34 pm

Hi Andy,

There was a brief discussion surrounding Zello a little while back :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3345-zello-network-radio?highlight=Zello

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere before as well but probably buried amongst discussion in postings.

I know that when certain technologies present themselves there's an initial flurry of interest and then quite often quickly dissipates as speedily as it came. This has been seen on many Zello 'channels' where initial excitement sees much activity and then whether through boredom, lack of interactivity or even heaven forbid less than positive input from others eventually lands up silent.

I know that for my own personal interests I didn't see much point in these technologies being far more interested in the radio pursuits of 'old'. Purchasing, repairing or restoring radio equipment that actually squirts RF out of the back along with setting up commercial or home built antennas really 'floats my boat'. 

It's all point-to-point RF for me and why I've even embraced technologies like FT8 digital modes where my licence low power limits and lack of foreign language skills still sees me making 'contacts' to real people all around the world. I'm also still at the mercy of Mother Nature and the Radio Gods of whether radio propagation or conditions will give me the contacts I desire and the 'pot luck' nature of that enthrals me no end.

Not afraid of burgeoning technologies I also experimented somewhat with DMR radio after being gifted a handheld that had the facilities to perform such. I still had to build an antenna with enough gain to make the trip to a DMR repeater the next county over and was initially excited at the prospects. However it didn't take too long before 'boredom' set in hearing the same voices again and again, some treating it like their own private chat room with also less than welcome attitudes. One time someone randomly sent a 'blocking code' to my handheld which was easily reset from but I couldn't do with such silly nonsense and gave it up. Being 'chucked off' or dialled out of the repeater for no reason except someone's weird sense of 'fun' also filled me with similar loathe. (The handheld is still an awesome 'analogue' 2m & 70cm radio though and used as such much of the time.)

So yeah, initially seems like a good idea but can soon falter much like the 2m/70cm repeater rush to digital technologies in the hope of enlivening their activity and often results in the opposite unfortunately.
(I find the 'digital' linking to one of my local repeaters with a feeling of dread for some of the subject material and would rather hear the local traffic as they wend their way to & from places of work in the vicinity.)
I also dislike the almost continuous 'ker-chunking' of said repeater with people busying themselves pressing DTMF buttons on their mics but then obviously bored as they then don't bother making contacts.

I also often have a hell of a time refereeing my young grandchildren as they argue over 'Roblox' or some such and would hate to be moderating such nonsense from adults on other digital platforms.

At least with a forum there is a delay between someone's incensed differences of opinion and the keyboard but vocally there is no such 'gate'. You even spot the differences where with Amateur Radio there is an apparent responsibly that holds such nonsense mostly at bay but seems to relinquish on unlicensed radio systems altogether.

Always good to hear ideas and see enthusiasm for such technologies but quite often the end result is not what is expected.....

Heck, have you seen how many CT call signs we've issued over the years to radio enthusiasts?
With just about every UK town or city having at least one and often many more members you would think that the CB and PMR airwaves would be alive with activity. It's amazing how that initial enthusiasm can wane for so many. Rolling Eyes

Great posting Andy and ideas are always welcome but I apologise now for my infamous 'waffle' and maybe less than enthusiastic stance to it all.

If you do set up your own channel you'll have to let us know how it all goes with not just the initial positivity but also the longevity of such. I wish you well and glad that you're currently enjoying it all.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Network Radio on the Zello Platform   radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 7:01 am

+1 on the above lol.
You covered everything i would have said and some Victor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Network Radio on the Zello Platform   radio - Network Radio on the Zello Platform Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Network Radio on the Zello Platform
Page 1 of 1