Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Call Sign Application
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

Keywords
chart callsign Sirio anytone Mobile frequency ALINCO 9900 sign Baofeng lincoln list call antenna Mckinley supply 2022 power president ss9900 display software 2023 6900 meter yaesu
QRZ Database

Reverb, echo, speech processing etc

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Canobeer
Canobeer

Call Sign : 26-CT-4836
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Epsom, Surrey
Equipment Used : FT-840

Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Empty
PostSubject: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2023 12:05 pm

I understand I'm possibly opening a can of worms here, but what are your feelings on hearing just a slight hint of echo or reverb on the air?

I know it's very much frowned upon on the ham bands so I would never use it there, although speech-processing is common.

But back in the day I used to use just the smallest amount of echo on all CB modes, and was always complimented on the quality of my audio and my easy readability even if I was barely moving the needle.

I know it can make a horrible mushy mess of things if you overdo it - just as you can with over-deviation or over-processing - but what do people think about it if it's done subtly?

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Hi Richard,

Believe you me the proverbial 'can of worms' can be assigned to most things, antennas and 'speech quality' being the biggest culprits! Wink

There's a huge following for ESSB (enhanced single side band) and although I am very much of a one for each-to-their-own it does sound truly awful when they aren't hitting you S9+ and effectively splattering across the limited band space available to Hams. A similar tale can also be true if they're pumping as many watts as they can performing the same splattering effect at S9+++!
(I'll duck back down in my foxhole for the inevitable flack from that comment.)

I've heard many Ham transmissions that definitely have an echo effect added to them and often exclaimed as the room they're in but it often goes beyond the bathroom tile effect sounding completely unnatural. Then again I've personally witnessed 'Hams' sat in front of old Sadelta echo mics hooked to their transceivers too.

There is reason to your thoughts and I know that effective SSB speech power can be improved with 'echo' or 'delay' but usually in the order of significantly small amounts than most commercial devices can provide. (No PT2399 stuff here then.)

Then there's the personal preference aspect and someone might admire your triple five "Hola! Hola!" echo but others definitely won't. Then again someone might exclaim that you don't "have the voice" for SSB (whatever that means?!?!) no matter what you do to it!

I experimented myself with various types of speech processing in the past but much preferred the limited bandwidth (almost vintage telephone voice quality) ideas to help punch through the 'noise' on transmission as well as the effective compression brought about by soft clipping at the RF mixer level improving effective 'vocal power'..........

Nowadays though I have access to DSP (lucky boy) where I can infinitely muck/play about or adjust settings to my hearts desire. Even then I've found lifted mids with suppressed highs & lows more effectively punches my little QRP signal through.

Did I rely on someone else's report of my transmission voice quality? 
Did I 'eckers like and instead picked up my transmissions on the many available web/kiwi SDR's and simply listened for myself. Signal penetration was my key though, not apparent DJ/Hi-Fi/Almost AM 'quality'. Wink

Give it a go Richard, as you say in the CB world such effects are often admired (along with inevitable boops & bleeps of 'roger beeps') but probably won't make you fans on the Ham bands.

Enjoy your radio as you see fit. Reverb, echo, speech processing etc 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

As per usual all of the above 'waffle' are only my own views on such subject material and independent of or not particularly endorsed by the Charlie Tango group as a whole. Some individuals may partially or completely disagree with said views which is wholly their right especially on a forum that admires the independent thought process of members herein. Hopefully that addresses the mention of the can-of-worms scenario because no matter how widely that old can blows open I will be well out of dispersal range and standing up-wind of it all. Your satisfaction and consumer rights are not affected in any way. Wink

Razz229, Alan Pilot, Tristar and Canobeer like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeWed Jul 26, 2023 3:35 pm

No likie not for me but that's me.

Canobeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 4:36 am

Not interested in doing it myself but not bothered if people do it although, like you say, they don't do it to the point you can't understand what they're saying.

Coyote and Canobeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 5:11 am

Personally as long as it's only a little bit it doesn't bother me, but i installed a non -adjustable compression board in my Ranger 2950 Mirage which helps my audio punch through all the mess.
Back to top Go down
Canobeer
Canobeer

Call Sign : 26-CT-4836
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Epsom, Surrey
Equipment Used : FT-840

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 8:17 am

Victor wrote:
There is reason to your thoughts and I know that effective SSB speech power can be improved with 'echo' or 'delay' but usually in the order of significantly small amounts than most commercial devices can provide. (No PT2399 stuff here then.)

Then there's the personal preference aspect and someone might admire your triple five "Hola! Hola!" echo but others definitely won't. Then again someone might exclaim that you don't "have the voice" for SSB (whatever that means?!?!) no matter what you do to it!

Well, 'back in the day' I made my own reverb with much finer control than a commercial device for that very reason. I just wanted the tiniest edge and I couldn't find one I liked the sound of. 
There were more than a few of the 'Sadelta-Bremi-Zetagi boys' splashing everywhere, and I knew that wasn't who I wanted to be. scratch

I was a good little boy and stayed away from the ham bands until I got my ticket in 2007... there, I started off with an RF speech compressor and a little bit of equalisation - my natural voice is 'very' baritone which means I tend to lose a bit of my bottom end to the filters in the radio so a little mid boost improves my 'perceived diction'.
On AM, I have to trim my bass a bit to avoid boominess that sometimes gets distorted at the receiver end if their speaker can't handle me. 
I've been a pirate-radio DJ before now, if I wanted to scratch the 'hifi sound' itch I'd go do it again  jocolor
On SSB, it's all about 'punch' and intelligibility. I want to be readable when I'm barely moving the needle. My prize isn't a 5/9 report, it's a 5/2 when the big boys are trying and failing to make the trip.

Time to reach for the can-opener again by suggesting there's a lot to be learned by listening to the ways of the old-timers on the ham bands... the ones who got DXCC on a 10W AM rig rather than throwing a kilowatt into a beam as some do today.
There's a clear technique involved in breaking pile-ups using flea-power. You listen first in case your quarry is working split frequencies. You respect the split rather than trying to trample all over the original call. You're patient while others are speaking. You wait for the weakest other signal, then ride in on their coat-tails knowing that everybody is listening very keenly to them :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverb, echo, speech processing etc   Reverb, echo, speech processing etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reverb, echo, speech processing etc
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: