Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» President Grant 2
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:06 am by BazJ

» What HF band
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:17 pm by Silverbone

» Sirio or Wilson??
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:40 pm by glenn dog

» RESUMPTION OF CALL SIGN ALLOCATIONS
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:06 pm by Padrick

» Tennamast
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:50 am by Matt86

» Another new member - callsign request (Issued)
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 am by jdev99

» 108ct call sign request (Issued)
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:30 am by Jay c

» Forgotten my ct call sign
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2020 9:56 pm by GaryWilson

» Call sign request
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 pm by GaryWilson

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
where's everybody at? Vote_lcapwhere's everybody at? Voting_barwhere's everybody at? Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
where's everybody at? Vote_lcapwhere's everybody at? Voting_barwhere's everybody at? Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
mickyboy
rabbi
Matt86
Master Virus
Ultimitmale (John)
Sgt Bilko
Delboy
Keywords
Service yaesu callsign file Messages call midland division bash message sign Sirio list president whip silver frequency request antenna Buxton gainmaster ss9900 multi alan lincoln Zetagi
January 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 36 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 33 Guests :: 2 Bots

BazJ, Delboy, TJS 26CT3029

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

where's everybody at?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bodda

QTH or Location : teeside
Equipment Used : CB

where's everybody at? Empty
PostSubject: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi folks.... A returning 90's CBer here looking to get back into radio things a bit again....
So put together a cheap little uk40fm setup just to see how things are going in my area (Teeside) and so far can't find a single soul ..
Is everyone using am or ssb instead nowadays?
Or has PMR446 maybes replaced ye old muppet boxes nowadays?
What's the craic y'all?

Thankings muchly in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot

QTH or Location : Anglesey
Call Sign : 163CT220
Equipment Used : CRT ss9900 Rci 2950dx

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Same as you returned after around 26 years a few months ago.
And at first i thought i had a faulty aerial but no it's just dead around here (Anglesey North Wales).
But if i go mobile up the hill i do get some contacts but that is on ssb.
I am hoping more will come back as watching this forum new members are joining daily so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Aye it'd be a shame if it has died to this extent. Even in the 90's when I was last on air you could always catch someone to chatter to regardless of the time of day etc... Albeit nothing as busy as it apparently was in its glory early days.
It looks absolutely shocking nowadays thus far though.
I'm hoping folks have maybes just started taking advantage big the pmr446 radios as CB stations instead perhaps....
I'm considering acquiring one and making an antenna to investigate soon methinks.
I don't however wanna be spending the outlay of a ssb rig to find it's like a graveyard also.
Hopefully someone local to me will home in and clue me up...
Anywho thanks for the reply and all the very best with it down in your part of the world matey Smile
Back to top Go down
Pagan

Pagan

QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Call Sign : 26CT2069
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Most people use SSB these days but it looks like there's still some activity on FM in your area.....see link below.

http://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t114-north-east-england-fm-nets
Back to top Go down
selbee

selbee

QTH or Location : Stafford
Call Sign : 26-CT-3309
Equipment Used : Rotel RVC240 CB radio

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Hiya, Staffordshire, WestMidlands here, as you I've just returned to the airwaves, still using my 90s fm gear until i am sure it going to be worth forking out for ssb, chatter is quiet here too but there does seem to be more coming back, if i go up the hills i can get good chats up to 40+ miles when conditions are good so im looking on the bright side, it will never be like its heyday but maybe that will be a good thing, no more bloody music and dickheads keying channels,
best of luck guys sunny
Back to top Go down
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm

@ Selbee...
At least you've managed a bit of contact whilst out and about. Tis a ray of hope for you eh Smile
It's not often I'll get chance to go mobile to muchly higher ground here though I'm afraid.

@Pagan...
I had already read about the Northumberland net, but I suspect on FM at standard power they're likely out of range unfortunately....
I would easily catch the guy who commented from Billingham, probably the guy in Shildon if they were around.... I'll keep throwing a few shouts out to that channel as well as 19 and just see how it goes I guess.
So you say most are using ssb in your area nowadays..... Roughly how many regular folks do you have on the air using ssb in your neck of the woods then matey?

Many thanks people Smile
Back to top Go down
Pagan

Pagan

QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Call Sign : 26CT2069
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm

bodda wrote:
@ Selbee...
At least you've managed a bit of contact whilst out and about. Tis a ray of hope for you eh Smile
It's not often I'll get chance to go mobile to muchly higher ground here though I'm afraid.

@Pagan...
I had already read about the Northumberland net, but I suspect on FM at standard power they're likely out of range unfortunately....
I would easily catch the guy who commented from Billingham, probably the guy in Shildon if they were around.... I'll keep throwing a few shouts out to that channel as well as 19 and just see how it goes I guess.
So you say most are using ssb in your area nowadays..... Roughly how many regular folks do you have on the air using ssb in your neck of the woods then matey?

Many thanks people Smile

Its difficult to say how many.....most of the ones I hear are on SSB networks. I sometimes go on the North-West net (my nearest SSB network) and I hear lots of people within about 30-40 miles of my QTH but I rarely hear them at any other times. It looks like most of them only go "on air" when there's a network running or when there's some good propagation. On FM though, I've only ever heard about 3 or 4 people since I joined this forum nearly 4 years ago !!
If you have a look at the link below you'll be able to see if there are any members near you....the link is from the old Tapatalk forum so some of them may not be active any more but I think there are quite a few current members in the North-East area.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/copythat/england-2000-2499-t24881.html
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26CT1836 / Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 6:23 am

Good morning bodda,

It's just worth mentioning that stations are now much more dispersed than before so it's really important to have a decent antenna.

Mag mounts on biscuit tins in the loft and indoor antennas of any kind are pretty useless. I would recommend a half wave external antenna outside as high as possible as a minimum. If going mobile get up a hill to the highest point possible.

A lot of the action is on the SSB nets held up and down the country, but it does vary from area to area.

I don't think there is a massive migration to PMR446 but definitely some. I spend much more time on the ham bands these days 20 & 40 meters are still very active and open for DX every day and 40 at night as well.

Good luck I hope you manage to make some contacts soon!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks folks.... Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

where's everybody at?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: