Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
callsign 2023 chart ss9900 anytone sign display 6900 antenna president software list yaesu Mckinley Mobile ALINCO frequency supply call 2022 9900 Sirio Baofeng lincoln power meter
QRZ Database

where's everybody at?

Go down 
+6
John 68CT045
GaryWilson
selbee
Pagan
Alan Pilot
bodda
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bodda

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : teeside
Equipment Used : CB

where's everybody at? Empty
PostSubject: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi folks.... A returning 90's CBer here looking to get back into radio things a bit again....
So put together a cheap little uk40fm setup just to see how things are going in my area (Teeside) and so far can't find a single soul ..
Is everyone using am or ssb instead nowadays?
Or has PMR446 maybes replaced ye old muppet boxes nowadays?
What's the craic y'all?

Thankings muchly in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Same as you returned after around 26 years a few months ago.
And at first i thought i had a faulty aerial but no it's just dead around here (Anglesey North Wales).
But if i go mobile up the hill i do get some contacts but that is on ssb.
I am hoping more will come back as watching this forum new members are joining daily so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Aye it'd be a shame if it has died to this extent. Even in the 90's when I was last on air you could always catch someone to chatter to regardless of the time of day etc... Albeit nothing as busy as it apparently was in its glory early days.
It looks absolutely shocking nowadays thus far though.
I'm hoping folks have maybes just started taking advantage big the pmr446 radios as CB stations instead perhaps....
I'm considering acquiring one and making an antenna to investigate soon methinks.
I don't however wanna be spending the outlay of a ssb rig to find it's like a graveyard also.
Hopefully someone local to me will home in and clue me up...
Anywho thanks for the reply and all the very best with it down in your part of the world matey Smile
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Most people use SSB these days but it looks like there's still some activity on FM in your area.....see link below.

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t114-north-east-england-fm-nets
Back to top Go down
selbee
selbee

Call Sign : 26-CT-3309
QTH or Location : Stafford
Equipment Used : Rotel RVC240 CB radio

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Hiya, Staffordshire, WestMidlands here, as you I've just returned to the airwaves, still using my 90s fm gear until i am sure it going to be worth forking out for ssb, chatter is quiet here too but there does seem to be more coming back, if i go up the hills i can get good chats up to 40+ miles when conditions are good so im looking on the bright side, it will never be like its heyday but maybe that will be a good thing, no more bloody music and dickheads keying channels,
best of luck guys sunny
Back to top Go down
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm

@ Selbee...
At least you've managed a bit of contact whilst out and about. Tis a ray of hope for you eh Smile
It's not often I'll get chance to go mobile to muchly higher ground here though I'm afraid.

@Pagan...
I had already read about the Northumberland net, but I suspect on FM at standard power they're likely out of range unfortunately....
I would easily catch the guy who commented from Billingham, probably the guy in Shildon if they were around.... I'll keep throwing a few shouts out to that channel as well as 19 and just see how it goes I guess.
So you say most are using ssb in your area nowadays..... Roughly how many regular folks do you have on the air using ssb in your neck of the woods then matey?

Many thanks people Smile
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm

bodda wrote:
@ Selbee...
At least you've managed a bit of contact whilst out and about. Tis a ray of hope for you eh Smile
It's not often I'll get chance to go mobile to muchly higher ground here though I'm afraid.

@Pagan...
I had already read about the Northumberland net, but I suspect on FM at standard power they're likely out of range unfortunately....
I would easily catch the guy who commented from Billingham, probably the guy in Shildon if they were around.... I'll keep throwing a few shouts out to that channel as well as 19 and just see how it goes I guess.
So you say most are using ssb in your area nowadays..... Roughly how many regular folks do you have on the air using ssb in your neck of the woods then matey?

Many thanks people Smile

Its difficult to say how many.....most of the ones I hear are on SSB networks. I sometimes go on the North-West net (my nearest SSB network) and I hear lots of people within about 30-40 miles of my QTH but I rarely hear them at any other times. It looks like most of them only go "on air" when there's a network running or when there's some good propagation. On FM though, I've only ever heard about 3 or 4 people since I joined this forum nearly 4 years ago !!
If you have a look at the link below you'll be able to see if there are any members near you....the link is from the old Tapatalk forum so some of them may not be active any more but I think there are quite a few current members in the North-East area.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/copythat/england-2000-2499-t24881.html
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 6:23 am

Good morning bodda,

It's just worth mentioning that stations are now much more dispersed than before so it's really important to have a decent antenna.

Mag mounts on biscuit tins in the loft and indoor antennas of any kind are pretty useless. I would recommend a half wave external antenna outside as high as possible as a minimum. If going mobile get up a hill to the highest point possible.

A lot of the action is on the SSB nets held up and down the country, but it does vary from area to area.

I don't think there is a massive migration to PMR446 but definitely some. I spend much more time on the ham bands these days 20 & 40 meters are still very active and open for DX every day and 40 at night as well.

Good luck I hope you manage to make some contacts soon!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
bodda

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks folks.... Much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
John 68CT045
Contributor
Contributor
John 68CT045

Call Sign : 68CT045
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Carrickfergus / Northern Ireland - UK
Equipment Used : (Yaesu FT DX 1200) - (Superstar 6900V) - (SIRIO Gainmaster)

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2020 9:38 pm

My town has growen from one full time and two part time CBers to seven with homebase antennas being used all of us have SSB radios with Superstars, Presidents and Yaesus, BUT this all came about with a couple sticking to channel 20 on the UK 40 channels. We have been getting straglers on the UK 40s and bumping into us on channel 20 for a good old chatter with upto arround 8 on air on the channel at the same time.
So here is to the new returning CBers if your mobile in the hils n mountains in Northern Ireland pop in on channel 20 UK FM and say hi.
On a side note, a few days ago I was sitting by the computer doin my stuff and I looked down and seen my needle lifting. It was the euro skip on channel 20, ended up chatting to Mike from south of Berlin who just finished with a another chap in the mainlad UK.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2020 6:38 pm

bodda wrote:
Hi folks.... A returning 90's CBer here looking to get back into radio things a bit again....
So put together a cheap little uk40fm setup just to see how things are going in my area (Teeside) and so far can't find a single soul ..

There is definitely activity in Teeside. I was out and about last weeked and went from Whitby through Guisborough and at the top of the hill south of Guisborough I could hear plenty on Ch19. Headed south through Thornaby back towards York and could hear several people on even then.
Back to top Go down
Ray123

Call Sign : 26-CT-3277
QTH or Location : North East England, Middlesbrough
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900n, Moonraker 2, Sigma Venom 5/8 Silver Rod, SPS-250 Power Supply

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 am

hi bodda

im Ray also from Teesside, im not having much luck either mate

Ray
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am

get your self a good mobile antenna, a good mag mount and you will need a multi band Am FM SSB radio, get up high static spot you can Google heights, and find a good accessible spot and you will be ok there is nets on most nights of the week and all day sunday , not many work from home to much noise, and you will be ok. It will never be as them days were, but its better you have more dedicated breakers now and its better lots of groups to were the members and admin staff work very hard, to get the group out and about some walk up the hills and I respect all tham do it, it helps the hobby ,and myself I can not climb hills so I go mobile and to my good spots I use the ss9900 with a sirio 4000 or 5000 or if I can my T2LT base or mobile antenna but its all great fun,its good to see breakers coming back to the hobby and there is lots of great groups out there but it get a hold of you the hobby, and you will spend money. if in your car and you are at your 20 see what the noise level is like if its bad, that is a good sign no home base ,and welcome to the group.
Back to top Go down
Ray123

Call Sign : 26-CT-3277
QTH or Location : North East England, Middlesbrough
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900n, Moonraker 2, Sigma Venom 5/8 Silver Rod, SPS-250 Power Supply

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 pm

hi

thanks for the reply

think going mobile is the way forward then, I have a SS6900, can you recommend a good antenna?

regards

Ray
Back to top Go down
26ct762
26ct762

Call Sign : 26ct762
QTH or Location : Altofts,wakefield
Equipment Used : lots

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 11:20 am

I think this summer we may all be out in the Garden trying to DX. Mobile is going to be a problem as I doubt plod would consider it a necessary journey. i'm gonna break out the ranger with a burner but it's the antenna as usual that's the real issue. I moved house to a more semi rural environment but I'm about 40m asl in w.yorkshire and could do with a portable table top set up. Been looking at these super antennas or buddipoles. can'r really do a half wave up in the air and don't want to spend all my time sat in the car, loft is out too.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello Shaun,

Yep looks like Gardens on the Air this summer! Very Happy

If you are just working the 11 meter band then a simple dipole will do the job for you. You can make it yourself for very little money. (Horizontal isn't very good for local contacts)

Both the Buddy pole and the Super Antenna cover the Amateur bands and not 11 meters (C.B.)

You could also use a T2LT as a vertical on a fiberglass pole which could be put up on a temporary basis for when you want to be on the air. (Works well locally and for DX)

Here's a link on how to make the T2LT There are two parts to it but here's part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senQ5_fc5WU

Good luck 73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: where's everybody at?   where's everybody at? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

where's everybody at?
Page 1 of 1