Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
list 2022 Sirio call lincoln 9900 chart 2023 yaesu frequency Mobile Mckinley president sign ALINCO anytone software callsign antenna display meter Baofeng 6900 ss9900 supply power
QRZ Database

Ofcom action against ham radio pirates

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Empty
PostSubject: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 am

In response to a Freedom of Information request Ofcom released information on the number of reports of incorrect use of amateur radio callsigns or pirate callsigns

Ofcom said that in the 3 years leading up to December 13, 2019 they had received 10 reports of incorrect or pirate use of amateur radio callsigns.

All the reports were investigated.

Read Ofcom's FoI response at
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/190026/complaints-about-amateur-radio-callsign-use.pdf

Ofcom's responses to FoI's are on their website, the amateur radio FoI's are listed under 'Spectrum', see
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/foi-dp/foi-responses
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 2:15 pm

It's amazing that 18 person-hours of work were required just to look up how many complaints of piracy there were in the last three years. You'd think they'd have a better filing system than that! It's perhaps also surprising that if they investigated 13 only 1 ended with an "enforcement action".
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 4:45 pm

I'd think there's more to those 'person-hours' than just looking up computer files Wink
Legalities, data protection protocols and all sorts of 'procedures' to follow before a search was even made.

As for investigations and enforcement actions, I think about flipping time!

Operating a radio and transmitting out of protocol is hardly the heinous crime of the century despite what "laws" it may be breaking. Some people think it's OK to break the speed limit whilst driving, maybe while also using their mobile phone, all with the excuse of "I'm not hurting anybody", yet people are killed by such events all the time! Luckily the law is finally catching on in that area.
I've yet to hear a story of someone being hurt, maimed or killed because they transmitted 'out of band', forgot to give their call sign or the most heinous of all crimes - breaking the CB 4 watt barrier! Wink

It's about time that what was once called 'common sense' is finally prevailing.

Some people getting a flea-in-their-ear over such things is just all a bit too much.

If anyone can't remember how preposterous such things used to be, just take a look at : The Laughing Policeman Wireless Society

Enjoy your radio and above all, be safe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Well said Victor, common sense seems to have been lost in the modern world.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Appreciate that Steve.

I think that how things are currently going in the radio world is for the good. Ofcom, dropping licence fees, (for both Hams and CBers), opening and alignment of frequency bands, allowing use of AM & SSB for CB etc. are all steps in the right direction. It's not quite there and there's plenty people bemoaning it, but it is nice to finally recognise the scent of freedom.

I'm enjoying hearing Hams on the amateur bands just having a chin-wag, conversations, the odd swear word, just literally enjoying their radio and what it brings for them. Not every 'over' starting and ending with a callsign and limited on what they can converse about.

If you like protocol regime, societies, affiliateships, etc. then good for you, enjoy yourself as you see fit. Just please, don't thrust it upon others as if they are doing the 'wrong' thing.

The oppressive regime is crumbling and it's about time too.

Heck, I never thought I'd see the day of "Hams" & "CBers" freely conversing....yet here we are...in such places as the "Charlie Tangos", online and on the air waves. It is after all, just radio.

Does make me smile, a very happy smile.

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 am

Our offcom dept here in Finland is working hard to keep the air clear from cheap internet shops items, airport area near me has had a few radar fails due to normal TV amps for digital TV, they seem to leave CB and HAM Bands alone, we can buy radio or 68 to 70 and no need for licence, PMR and CB same law as uk
see this link https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11141669

IN FINNISH BUT GOOGLE WILL HELP YOU Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 am

Interesting piece Glenn! I have the Google Translate for Firefox add-on, very good for most things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 pm

least most radio operators have common sense, even if Ofcom haven't.
mark.
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 am

Sadly I hear of misuse of licences or pirates , experienced a pirate myself on a local repeater last year . Was a small net going we all just ignored him . But sadly if Ofcom doesn't seem to act .

73 , matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom action against ham radio pirates   radio - Ofcom action against ham radio pirates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ofcom action against ham radio pirates
Page 1 of 1