Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
meter power frequency list Baofeng 2022 Sirio Mckinley yaesu anytone supply lincoln software sign callsign 9900 chart antenna 2023 ALINCO 6900 president display Mobile ss9900 call
QRZ Database

Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
talost

Call Sign : 26-CT-3358
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Gateshead, Tyne and Wear
Equipment Used : Moonraker radio, nevada psw 07 power supply and silver rod 5/8 antenna pmr446 Motorola talkabout t82 extreme, midland Alan 42 ds.

Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi, I really need some help. I bought a setup but I don't receive any chatter. My speaker works fine with squelch but I don't hear anything else. Please help me. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
0zzy
CT Directors
CT Directors
0zzy

Call Sign : 26CT556/26LR006
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Home QTH: Redcar/portable QTH: Danby head

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi talost, Have you checked your SWR? if that's ok be patient mate, I'm sure you will hear someone at some point.
There are a few lads on around that way, once you have checked your SWR have a shout on ch19 of the UK frequencies I'm sure someone will hear your call.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 am

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum.

I think your problem is the Excalibur antenna, they are well known as a poor performing antenna. Where is it located? If it's anywhere inside the house or loft you will be limited to a range of around a couple of miles.

Tell us a bit more about how you are set up and we'll try and help you.

P.S I'm going to leave this post here for a bit but will move it to a more appropriate part of the forum in a couple of days.

Best 73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
talost

Equipment Used : Moonraker radio, nevada psw 07 power supply and silver rod 5/8 antenna pmr446 Motorola talkabout t82 extreme, midland Alan 42 ds.

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 am

Thanks for the heads up. My antenna is outside on the house wall. I am starting to think it needs to be on the chimney.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 6:34 am

P. S can you suggest an alternative antenna please.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 am

Hi Paul,

Outside is really a must so that's good. I would suggest at least a half wave silver rod or similar the higher the better. They are quite large but with stations being much further apart these days a decent antenna system is necessary to get the most from the hobby. Have a look here. https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d3_Base-Antennas.html This is for reference only and not a supplier recomendation however Knights are an excellent supplier. Very Happy

Also have a look in the nets and skeds section to see when there is likely to be activity in the Gateshead area.  

Best 73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 7:20 am

Excellent Gary thanks for the help need all the help I can get.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm

You're more than welcome Paul, we all had to start somewhere buddy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 am

Hi, so I bought a pole and brackets and still no change. I am trying to get a scaffold pole to raise it more. If this doesn't work I'll get a new antenna as suggested.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 am

P. S my name is Tom.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 7:23 am

Hi Tom, sorry for getting your name wrong.

I would definitely ditch the excalibur, I've never heard a good word said about them and to be honest it's pretty obvious they are a one meter long collinear antenna trying to RX/TX an 11 meter RF signal it's simply too much of a compromise. Even my mobile antenna is twice as long as that at nearly six foot!!! Pitch for at least a half wave antenna at around eighteen feet long!!!

It's also important to find out when people in your area are on the air, it varies a lot you might just be on when no one else is.

Best of luck 73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 am

You were right Gary, the excalibur was cack, I got a 5/8 silver rod and two hours fettling, I got it working. Only got 5 mile but hey it will do till I get it up higher. Thanks again for your help, you are a diamond.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 4:41 am

P. S. How do i get a callsign?
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 6:31 am

That's great news Tom,

You did the right thing there!!!! You'll easily beat that distance soon and when the summer E-skip season begins you'll be working all over Europe. Very Happy

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-3358 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 7:36 am

That's absolutely fantastic Gary thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 am

Hi Gary I just wanted to pick your brain, when tuning the antenna Im struggling to get equal readings. I'm getting 1.5 on ch40 and 1.6 on ch1. It doesn't matter what I do i can't get them lower or equal. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 am

Hi Tom

No need to worry about them SWR readings it’s perfectly normal to have a difference between Ch 1 and Ch 40

Good practice is to get the lowest SWR reading in the middle of the band you want to use , but it’s not critical and your readings are just fine

Good luck and enjoy

Craig
Back to top Go down
talost

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks very much Craig, I was worried for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)   Newbie needing lots of help (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)
Page 1 of 1