Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hello everyone
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:17 pm by M0TEC

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:09 pm by John H

» Hello Everyone New Here & Looking for a Call Sign
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 6:33 pm by stealth 57

» I moved to new city (Actioned)
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:39 pm by Dutchie19

» Call sign request
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:18 pm by John123

» RE:TC call sign
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:12 pm by John123

» South Coast PMR net report
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 9:23 am by Razz229

» Callsign request for division 45 (Issued)
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeToday at 12:53 am by stalker

» CAll Sign for division 26 (Issued)
Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Rizzer100

Keywords
yaesu Sirio Mckinley list power Baofeng software Mobile 2022 callsign president ALINCO ss9900 call sign 9900 anytone supply lincoln meter chart 2023 antenna frequency 6900 display
QRZ Database

Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nige7whit

Call Sign : 26-CT-3400 & M7NJW
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Midlands
Equipment Used : Midland G18 PMR, Icom IC-R6 scanner

Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Empty
PostSubject: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 am

Good evening folks,

I last used 27/81 as a teenager (49 yrs old now)… Having recently re-entered scanning, and been a family user of 446 PMR for years, I am thinking about dabbling again in the CB world.

As an intro, I'm thinking about the Midland M-Mini unit, with a mag mount for the car, or maybe indoors too, on a PSU.

What I am confused about, and from scanning... The old 27/81 frequencies are not recognised by some scanners (Icom IC-R6 in my case), and there is the fact that AM as well as FM is now permitted...? Surely AM or FM shouldn't be a choice available for each channel?

Comments welcome, I want to start small... Realistically, do many people still use CB, and of those who do, what frequencies (27/81 or CEPT) are the majority using?

Thanks for any replies,

Nige.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 359
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 am

Hello Nige, welcome to the forum,

You can now legally use in the U.K the Original 27/81 frequencies on F.M. only and the CEPT (Mid Block) frequencies using A.M, F.M, & SSB.

You're scanner appears to be software programmable so perhaps it's a question of putting the frequencies in yourself?

There is no Issue using different modes of modulation on the same CEPT frequencies obviously both stations need to be using the same mode.

The Midland M mini isn't a bad radio but lacks SSB mode which a lot of stations use these days. You might well find you'll want to upgrade pretty soon.

Starting small in my opinion is a mistake. C.B. is a bit of a niche hobby these days and stations are spread much farther apart than in the 80's & 90's.

A decent radio covering all frequencies and modes and even more importantly the best antenna you can afford or be brave enough to put on your house is essential. Mag mounts on biscuit tins in the loft are not going to cut the mustard any more. From home at least a half wave (18 foot long) up as high as possible is the best option.

For the car a loaded 1/4 wave will do but don't be tempted buy mini springers or anything disguising itself as a car radio aerial, I use a Wilson 1000 nearly 6 foot long!!!

In terms of activity it varies a lot from location to location but most regions will host some weekley nets where everybody comes on at the same time same frequency. We have a nets and skeds section within the forum so you can check your area out there.

Things are much quieter than you will remember but there is enough activity for the determined station and people are returning to the hobby every day.

Operating stye varies from informal chatting using personal names rather than handles which are infrequently used now to a much more formal Ham radio style of contact especially when making DX contacts abroad.

The only other thing I can think of is the fact that instead of us interfering with TV's Radios and Phones etc, the boot is on the other foot now. Modern electrical kit can make operating from a home location very difficult indeed. For some it's not possible because the noise from such kit prevents the reception of any radio signals!!!!

I would get set up mobile and test the water you can get yourself up a nice hill or high spot away from the towns and cities and you'll be amazed what you can hear!

Sorry for the ramblings I think I covered it all, don't hesitate to ask any more questions if I haven't.

All the best 73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Nige, welcome to the CTDX group
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
nige7whit

Call Sign : 26-CT-3400 & M7NJW
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Midlands
Equipment Used : Midland G18 PMR, Icom IC-R6 scanner

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi again, and thanks for the info...

I know how much radio gear can cost (my late father was into short-wave receivers and Panasonic / Icom kit was often around when I was a kid)….

Actually, I think my question from a couple of days ago should have been "If I buy a new (basic) CB unit now, with current spec- how many potential contacts could I have - Or is everyone using 'non-standard' frequency / channel combinations"?
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 359
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Nigel, that's the million dollar question!!

Some areas are very active others very inactive. Many ops are using export radios and HF sets to work the freeband frequencies.

Just a thought. You may wish to consider taking your Ham exams. You get access to a large chunk of the radio spectrum. I spend most of my time on 20 & 40 meters at the moment which are still very active and offer good DX opportunities at most times.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 am

Hello and welcome, Nige.
73s John.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...   Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Used 27/81 years ago... Thinking about getting back to CB...
Page 1 of 1