Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request (Issued)
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeToday at 7:57 pm by spod

» 11m conditions
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeToday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeToday at 3:42 pm by Jazzscot

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by GaryWilson

» HF Contacts 15m
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

Keywords
2022 chart yaesu anytone software president call meter 6900 power Baofeng callsign ss9900 list lincoln Mckinley ALINCO supply display 9900 Mobile frequency sign Sirio 2023 antenna
QRZ Database

To TVI or not to TVI

Go down 
+2
Red Fox
Alan Pilot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Empty
PostSubject: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 11:31 am

Anybody got a long wire aerial attached close to there tv aerial.
Due to this scaffolding in the big house next door garden i am having tv reception problems as well as not helping my radio reception.
At the moment our tv aerial is in the loft (bungalow) and i am going to re-home it on a 10ft pole on the gable end of the bungalow witch should just about clear the scaffolding.
I was thinking of attaching a pully just below and hoisting my long wire up to just below the tv aerial and that should take my wire to just above the scaffolding as well.
Main question has anybody got this sort of setup is my radio going to wipe our tv out.
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Scaffo12
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 12:51 pm

Alan,

I had a few issues with reception, not helped by the local transmitter making changes for the provision of 5G in my area.

I tried a few different aerials without success until I discovered the Philex SLX DigiDome Outdoor Aerial.

It's a weird looking aerial, more like a funnelled dome, it does need powered though due to it being a masthead amplifier system.
I bought mine from a well known web retailer with a name similar to a well known river in Brazil - Wink Wink.  Laughing

I was a little apprehensive but when installed outside, the strength was very good, no breakup of pictures any-more and I receive no interference from the radio on any band at full chatter on any mode. 
I guess it must have very good filtering as I can run a 2m / 70cm antenna at 100w on any mode only 2 feet away without any issues.

Maybe something to consider if you don't have any luck with your current setup.

Cheers.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 1:01 pm

Funny you should mention that dome thing i was looking at one over the weekend.
Power to it would be a bit of a problem.
My tv aerial is at the same level as my long wire and pointing straight at it but it is around 20ft away with no problems.
My idea with the pole would kill 2 birds if it worked well the tv would work and the radio but both at the same time ??????.
Thanks for the reply all the same but will sit on it for a day or two.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi Alan. I think with what you have described as your plans, the possibility of TVI is going to be very small. Especially with the low powers you are running.

My TVI antenna for freeview is in my loft and sits right inside the loop I am using for 10m and extremely close to legs of the fan dipole I use for most bands between 10m and 40m. Not once have I caused TVI to myself on HF, even winding up to 50W hasn't caused a problem.

On 2m I used to get the odd freeze of the TV screen, but that was when I was using the CRT Electro UV. When I started using the 991A for 2m the issue ceased, I guess the Yaesu is better filtered.

I say go for it.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks for that one Neal.
Thinking about fitting a pully to the pole that the tv aerial is going on and that way i can take the wire down without any problem.
Just ordered a bracket so a job for the weekend
If you don't try you will never know is the way i think.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 2:21 pm

You should be alright Alan mate. frequency - To TVI or not to TVI 1f44d 

I've got two DAB TV antennas up in the loft right in the middle of my lawnmower lead mess and never had any problems with TV reception whilst transmitting. (I'd have soon been told otherwise!! Very Happy )

Tell a lie, similarly like Neal mentions I did have problems with 2m/70cm but when I was using the Leixen, nowadays I'm only using Icom & Yaesu gear on VHF/UHF (plus the Ailunce) and don't have any issues.

The bedroom TV now sports two bits of 14 inch wire bent in half to make a butterfly dipole and stuck to the wall (love a bit of homebrew ingenuity) with better reception than it ever had with the commercial beam. I don't cause any interference to that one either!

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 3:18 pm

Thanks for that Victor.
Sat with Linda at hospital appointment with the surgeon about her hip operation it should be very soon I hope.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2023 3:33 pm

Do send Linda my very best wishes and love Alan mate, any surgery is a daunting prospect for most.

I keep telling my Teresa to "watch your hips!" whenever she clambers on a chair to clean a window.....she then scowls at me and says "Who climbed up in that loft to put up your antennas!!" Oops. Embarassed

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
G6CTX

Call Sign : 26-CT-4040
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hampshire
Equipment Used : Lots

PostSubject: Frequency...?   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 4:57 pm

So what freq we talking, otherwise its how long is a piece of string... ?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 5:03 pm

All HF bands apart from 5MHz/60 metres.
TV aerial going up tomorrow weather permitting so will report back in a day or 2.
Back to top Go down
Des Collier

Call Sign : 26-CT-4194
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Scunthorpe,North Lincolnsire UK
Equipment Used : President Grant 2,Stalker XX Homebase

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Unfortunately trees, scaffolding,high buildings etc can block out signals and cause reception problems. The scaffolding they have put up is acting as a deflector, Moving your TV aerial outside will certainly help as your roof can reduce your signal as well.Worth checking your aerial and coax if they are old,and replacing them if any doubts.I use a small log periodic aerials bought from Screwfix, on my summer house and it works a treat! Best of luck buddy,Des 26CT4194
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2023 4:22 pm

Well finally got the new tv aerial up and the new wire.
Couldn't get high enough on the gable end myself so got the A team in (my nephew and my great nephew) to put the tv aerial on the chimney stack 8ft pole with a stainless pully and para cord on it as well.
So today i have sorted a new wire out and re-routed it to get the longest wire up that i could.
I can now see stations on the ft4/8 waterfall.
TV had a twitch as Linda called it so i dropped the wire back 2ft from the tv aerial pole and the twitch has gone.
Hope conditions get better soon after that flair Tuesday night or whenever as it was dead yesterday but a bit better today and even better now with the wire up higher.
Next door stuck another 6ft of scaffolding up the other day as a safety rail stop them falling off the flat roof.
Thanks again for the replies 73s.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2023 7:49 am

New wire got the states covered on 30m.
frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Usa_co10

peewee norfolk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To TVI or not to TVI   frequency - To TVI or not to TVI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To TVI or not to TVI
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: