Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
power 6900 lincoln list Baofeng Sirio supply display software 2022 ss9900 antenna 9900 chart Mckinley sign yaesu callsign 2023 frequency president anytone meter ALINCO call Mobile
QRZ Database

Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Collins

Call Sign : 163-CT-243
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Nelson, South Wales
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 42. , 78, crt millennium, crt ss9900

Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Empty
PostSubject: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Trying to decide which home base antenna to go for any opinions?
Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

PostSubject: Re: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 6:13 pm

I use a Sirio GPE 5/8wave and its good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek Collins

Call Sign : 163-CT-243
QTH or Location : Nelson, South Wales
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 42. , 78, crt millennium, crt ss9900

PostSubject: Re: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Well I slipped and it’s ordered now so guess I will just have to find out how good it is ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 9:14 pm

It will be fine, a 5/8 is a 5/8 as long as it is mechanically sturdy, which that looks like it is.
Back to top Go down
SeanofNorthwich

Call Sign : 26-CT-3446
QTH or Location : Northwich Cheshire
Equipment Used : CRT6900 and a good old Sirio Tornado

PostSubject: Re: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 9:36 pm

What is your feedback on your slip buy Derek?

Got mine up this weekend, gable end of house, with about 3' from the ridge line to bottom of the ground planes. I found the quality to be excellent with the exception of the supplied allen keys that rounded off as soon as the grub screws bit. Slung them and used my half decent allen keys. We had a lot of wind on Sunday and she was swinging around wildly but no bending.
I guess the only thing I hadn't thought about clearly was the effort it took to swing the antenna around to get the ground planes above the edge of the roof before elevating it its final height. Wish I was a bit younger and stronger. Another point of note was the fiddling about with the U bolts. Unlike a silver rod where the U bolts can be pre-assembled through the holes in the antenna plate so you just slip it onto your pole, with the Sirio, (unless i missed something obvious) you need to get the antenna adjacent to the pole and then slip the Sirio U bolts into place, align the pole to be in line with the antenna and tighten up. Perhaps it was just the way I had to do it. If i need to get it down then I will replace my pole with a 6m tube and just walk it vertical onto the wall. Its a max 40mm pole diameter if using the supplied fixings.
In terms of receive and transmit its a world apart from my cheap silver rod I had up previously. It is quite a bit taller than the rod and visually more intrusive (not a problem as I have super neighbours) but could be an issue if your neighbours routinely have dramas about anything and everything. Personally I wouldn't go any taller than this but suspect there is only a Sigma 4 that would be any taller.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them   Sirio - Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sirio Tornado- any or use one with opinion on them
Page 1 of 1