Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Which handheld
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

Keywords
2022 2023 callsign yaesu 6900 president Baofeng lincoln power Sirio meter chart sign antenna list display supply ALINCO 9900 Mobile call Mckinley anytone software ss9900 frequency
QRZ Database

Antron 99 install loads of noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
micscave

Call Sign : 26-CT-5095
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Burntwood
Equipment Used : NATO 2000, Ham Int 8040, CRT 9900, Thunderpole TX

Antron 99 install loads of noise Empty
PostSubject: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2024 11:25 pm

Hello all

I’ve just had an Antron 99 with the Firestick top section installed but I’m getting a constant signal level 5 on FM & AM and 7 on SSB of noise.

The antenna is mounted on an 18ft pole about 10ft above my roof line.

The only thing I can think of that’s causing the noise is that the coax comes out of the antenna, has a drip loop and then is fed down the metal mounting tube (18ft) for cosmetic reasons.

The SWR is is good so do any of you in the know think the coax running down the mounting tube will give me the undesired noise?

Victor, Tristar and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 6:45 am

Hi Mic,

Noise or QRM is the bane of many a radio operator but fear not....

Many tend to "crank it up to 11" when operating their radios and you'd be surprised of how much you can reduce the background noise by simply turning down the RF gain. It seems counter intuitive but it reduces all that hash noise and is surprising how much clearer signals come through using this method.

The other thing to maybe address is Common Mode Noise. (I know, we never had to think of this stuff 'back-in-the-day' but there wasn't all the QRM inducing electronic junk around either!) This can be much reduced by use of a Common-Mode-Choke.

To make a cheap and effective air-choke you can simply wind five turns of your coax around a 100mm former the most commonly available material being plastic soil pipe that you can pick up from a DIY store or trade outlet.

This comes from the great work of the late Steve Hunt (G3TXQ - SK) with a link to his work here :-

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

(Take a good look at the graph for details.)

Hopefully winding yourself such a choke should reduce any common mode problems and hence noise but do remember that noise levels come and go depending on propagation. You've got nothing to lose by winding a bit of your coax in such a simple way and see how you fare.

(Some just loop up a bunch of coax in an open coil but it's a bit hit or miss so worth seeing if you can get a short bit of pipe and do it properly....or even later delve into the 'mysterious' world of ferrite materials. Wink )

I hope you get sorted.

All the best,
Victor

John123, Tristar, SangueG, micscave and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 6:58 am

Hi mic. I just wrote a post that literally mimics what Victor just wrote, so scrapped it.. just read his Laughing 

Would just add that you could try a bit of noise sourcing in your own home to see if there is anything you can eradicate. If you can set up your rig on a battery and turn off power to the whole house, see if that reduces the noise. The power bits on one by one to work out if the noisy culprit. If you are like me then most of my noise is from neighbours unfortunately, but you might strike lucky and find something in your home you can sort.

John123, Victor, Tristar, micscave and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
micscave

Call Sign : 26-CT-5095
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Burntwood
Equipment Used : NATO 2000, Ham Int 8040, CRT 9900, Thunderpole TX

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 8:32 am

Thank you Victor and SangueG for your replies.

Yes I’ve considered making an Ugly Balun.

I’m repositioning The whole installation later this week from the side of the house to the rear as one of my neighbours has complained so that will be the ideal opportunity to put an RF Choke in place.

Do you think running the coax down the inside of the steel mounting pole is causing me noise though? Is it best practise not to do that?

I’m also going to install the ground plain kit for the Antron 99 as have been advised to by a local Ham as this area is a bit of a Black Hole as far as signals go.

Comments welcome.

Victor and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 10:42 am

There is a thing called a 'sleeve balun' where the feed coax is slipped through a metal section at the antenna and is common on VHF/UHF antennas. (My homemade UHF beam sports one.) I'd presume it must have some sort of effect even at HF especially with such a metal long pipe but as I've never performed such I couldn't really comment. The only real way of knowing is to see if any difference is observed on either installation. (I've always placed the coax outside of such mountings.)

As for ground plane kits, some swear by them whereas others condone them stating that they made no difference. (It's a must for a 1/4 wave antenna though to make up the other 'half' of the antenna.) Up to you in the end really and this is probably why antenna discussions end in heated debates. You can study theory until you're blue in the face and unless you have some practical backing for your very self you can never be absolutely sure. Two people could put up exactly the same antenna setup and disagree to it's performance, but then is it 'exactly' the same (surrounding buildings, location, feeders etc.) and are they expecting the same results?

For me that's the very example of having fun with it all, by finding out for yourself. 

I have an antenna system that most would condone yet I achieve the results I desire with what I have available to me. In my opinion a 'compromise' antenna is by not having one at all, otherwise enjoy the merits of any antenna system you can happily piece together.

(There's still always that flipping itch though of whether something else 'might' be 'better'. Wink )

Have fun. Antron 99 install loads of noise 1f44d 

John123, micscave and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : 14-CT-019 - G1DBS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 - President Lincoln 2 +

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 12:06 pm

Can't really add much to what others have already said.

Assuming you realise that all the HF bands are noisy at the moment, and you have or will try what others have suggested, there are two things that I might add.

At the antenna end, electrically bond the coax outer to the metal pole, then add one or more 1/4 wave ground plane wires that hang away from the pole. These can be very thin so as to be almost invisible. Physically earthing the coax and/or the pole might help too.

If you decide to feed the coax outside the metal pole, you could wind an RF choke in the coax 1/4 wave from the antenna to act as a 1/4 wave ground plane.

To be honest, antennas never work the same in different locations. Experimenting is a big part of the hobby.

Deb

John123, Victor, Tristar and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antron 99 install loads of noise   Antron 99 install loads of noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antron 99 install loads of noise
Page 1 of 1