Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
chart Sirio 9900 power meter antenna ss9900 supply list anytone Mckinley sign display Baofeng 2023 callsign president Mobile 6900 lincoln frequency call 2022 ALINCO yaesu software
QRZ Database

President Grant 2 question ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bee Whisperer

Call Sign : 26-CT-3576
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cowes, Isle Of Wight
Equipment Used : crt ss 6900,president grant 2, harrier cbx and rotel rvc 240.solarcon 99 sirio megawatt 4000

President Grant 2 question ?? Empty
PostSubject: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi All

Just purchased the above straight out of the box and untouched, ive had a search around and noticed people talking about mods on this radio that you need too do.
Can anyone help a newbie as too wether i need too do these mods and help me understand why????.
Thanks.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT612
QTH or Location : West Oxfordshire
Equipment Used : Various SSB sets

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 11:14 pm

There is a wire inside which when cut allows the radio to work on more bands by putting it into export mode. This allows it to use 27.555Mhz. I think when you do this you loose the EU norms, including UK40 so some people put a switch on the back connected to where the two ends of the wire went.

I think the later premium version retained the EU norms when the wire was cut.

They can also sound a bit quiet on FM out of the box, so many people have turned up the deviation.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 356
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 6:30 am

Just my humble opinion, I think the original G2 makes a really poor export radio. I have one and definitely wouldn't bother cutting the wire. Too fiddly by far with odd band configurations, difficulty getting on the 5's and the alpha channels it's not a good proposition.

There are much better radios for those other frequencies if you want to use them. I use a CRE8900 for the places the G2 wont go. I do however think the G2 is one of the best fully legal radios available. They are however sadly discontinued now.

73's Gary.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am

The original Grant 2 wasn't a great radio full stop IMO. I had two of them, the first was one of the first and it was so bad I sent it back. The second was a later one which I got for £99 new from Nevada on a Black friday deal and whilst it was better it still wasn't anywhere near my superstar 360FM

Too much noise, receiver overload from strong SSB signals, "Mystery Mic keyer" etc...

The Alinco DR-125/DX10 and CRE8900 are a much better radio IMO.

Not tried the premium version...
Back to top Go down
Bee Whisperer

Equipment Used : crt ss 6900,president grant 2, harrier cbx and rotel rvc 240.solarcon 99 sirio megawatt 4000

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 am

Thanks guys

For what it's worth im also setting up a CRT 6900 as well.
So would i be better off just not modding it then ???
Back to top Go down
Mudslinger
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Either keep it standard and use the 6900 for export stuff, or program the 6900 to have UK channels and sell the Grant 2. Apart from being larger and having slightly inferior build quality the 6900 is a much better radio IMO

I am normally a huge fan of Uniden boarded radios, but IMO they dropped the ball with the Grant 2 (and the Jackson 2 before it come to think of it)
Back to top Go down
MrFendt
MrFendt

Call Sign : 29-CT-024
QTH or Location : Ireland/Germany
Equipment Used : Team CB/FX mobile & 1.5m orbitor. Sirio HP 4000/Maas DP-27 & Grant 2 premium

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2020 7:17 am

It depends if its a late or an early one, I did a lot of research before buying my Grant II. There was actually 3 versions, The GrantII, GrantII premium and GrantII premium (mk2), you can find all the info on the web about serial numbers etc. I have the latest version with the export mode. The later premium radios keep the UK channels and EU norms without the need to wire in any switches etc. To actually export the radio doesn't take any longer than 5 minutes and I think a child could do it haha. However, I did put in a switch as I thought I would switch between export and norms for reference but haven't switched back once. Once you get the hang of switching between 5's & 0's its good to use. And the last of the Grant 2's were pretty much cured of all the previous issues.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bee Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies people
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Grant 2 question ??   President Grant 2 question ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Grant 2 question ??
Page 1 of 1