Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
9900 6900 yaesu chart antenna meter lincoln supply Baofeng Mobile anytone ss9900 Mckinley list 2022 callsign ALINCO display frequency president Sirio software call power 2023 sign
QRZ Database

The millionth time this question has been asked.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Stressedmyke
Stressedmyke

Call Sign : 26-CT-3717
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Billericay, Essex
Equipment Used : Mobile cb CRT Millennium (awaiting delivery) Sirio performer 3000 roof rack mounted on my Disco 3

The millionth time this question has been asked.  Empty
PostSubject: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 pm

Here goes.

I’m just coming back to CB and I’m installing a CRT MILLENNIUM into my Disco 3 as space is a real pain in this car. I have a steel full length roof rack that my sirio performer 3000 is bolted to and I have an SWR of 2.5 on 1 2.7 on 20 and 3 on 40 on UK 40. Now if I switch to ce 40 I have an SWR or 1.2 on 1 and 1.5 on 40.

What am I doing wrong?? When I had thIs antenna on my manky defender earlier this year (with a different rig) my SWR was always around 1.2 to 1.5

I do apologise for asking the question that must drive you bonkers but I genuinely thought I’d done ok fitting the antenna.

Thank you guys.

Myke.

Sorry, the antenna is a sirio performer PL P-800
Back to top Go down
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Slacken the grub screw and Extend/Reduce the whip by 2mm a time before calibrating and checking SWR

Tiny adjustments each time. If the SWR goes higher after extending the whip the do the opposite, a tiny bit at a time until the the SWR on ch19 is as low as possible

Stressedmyke likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 pm

That antenna is factory tunes at CE/Midband. Your not doing anything wrong. Just adjust whip length until its low on the main channel you use. Make sure the connection between the mount and the rack is clean and tight and should be fine.

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk
Stressedmyke
Stressedmyke

Equipment Used : Mobile cb CRT Millennium (awaiting delivery) Sirio performer 3000 roof rack mounted on my Disco 3

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Firetrap wrote:
That antenna is factory tunes at CE/Midband. Your not doing anything wrong. Just adjust whip length until its low on the main channel you use. Make sure the connection between the mount and the rack is clean and tight and should be fine.

Thank you.

As I get older I run out of patience to do stuff for myself 🤬🤬

The roof rack is steel and 8ft x 4ft so it should be a good ground plain ?

Shall I do a continuity check from roof rack to the body of the car?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm

As above, the antenna is too long which is why it's got a low SWR on Ch1 EU but higher on UK40. Part of the reason it's now too long is because you've a better RF ground than you had on your Defender.

Forget trying to get 1:1 on all the channels, the antenna doesn't have the bandwidth. As long as you can get 1.6-1.8:1 or less from EU Ch1 to UK Ch40 which it should be capable of doing then you're good to go. If you shorten it as much as you can and it's still not low enough you may need to consider cutting the whip, just do a small bit at a time.

Last edited by Northern Crusader on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

glenn dog and Stressedmyke like this post

Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Higher the frequency, shorter the whip.
Lower the frequency , longer the whip.

Paul.

Firetrap, glenn dog and Stressedmyke like this post

Back to top Go down
Stressedmyke
Stressedmyke

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 7:53 pm

Thank you all everyone.

I’ve spent the past hour trimming and I now have an SWR of 1.1 : 1 on 40 (UK) and 1.05 : 1 on channel 01.
I’ve never had it that good. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Should be viable on the mids as well

Back to top Go down
Stressedmyke
Stressedmyke

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 8:01 pm

On CE 01 it’s 1.7 and on 40 it’s 1.4 so I’m bloody chuffed.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The millionth time this question has been asked.    The millionth time this question has been asked.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The millionth time this question has been asked.
Page 1 of 1