Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Which handheld
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:52 am by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

Keywords
ALINCO Mckinley 9900 Sirio supply lincoln ss9900 2023 sign software antenna anytone meter display frequency 6900 Baofeng call power chart 2022 callsign list president yaesu Mobile
QRZ Database

DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Empty
PostSubject: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 7:49 am

Hi all,

Some of you know that we're ramping up for solar cycle 25.....for others that means, "The skip's a coming!"

For the 'Newbies' it means you can be chatting to someone stateside, (USA), as easily as catching some sporadic-E skip to Europe and sometimes like they're down the road from you!! Smile

All exciting stuff, but the general consensus is that it might not be as good as all that...

Hams had it good in the 50's and 60's, those who hit the American CB AM fad in the 70's had it good too. In the 80's, for those of you not practicing their DJ skills on the new UK27/81, we also had it good and I have fond memories of those days of CB DXing.

The last couple of cycles have been a bit, shall we say, "meh"....
(Which is why you youngsters and newbies think us old gits were chatting out of our backsides with our old CB DX stories!)

The opinions for the next cycle are all a bit "meh" too..........but not all 'predictions' can be right can they?

The National Centre for Atmospheric Research has released an interesting paper for their predictions on Solar cycle 25 which doesn't look at all too bad.

If you like science papers, graphs, etc. (or just a plain old weirdo like me Wink), click the link below for their paper on it.
(It's a pdf file, about 3Mb)

National Center for Atmospheric Research

They reckon it might well be a good cycle....maybe even, to use the technical term, a flipping good cycle! Smile

But, don't get too excited yet. They might be wrong, it is a prediction after all, and the solar cycle is 11 years long.......so you've got at least a couple of years to wait yet!

Personally for me, I hope the ticker holds out, I don't crash down the stairs breaking me neck and my false teeth hold up for a decent chat to our American buddies Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

Sydthecat, NUBSTER, John123, GaryWilson, Les-1, springer75, Templar and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 am

The Sun does what it wants and not what humans predict but the paper was an interesting read and the strength of cycle 15 and its preceeding 14/15 nadia gives hope .
Hearing the Superbowl at this time of year has nothing to do with the Sun cycle but multi hop sporadic E via the jet stream and is there every year May>August, on Saturday I had seven contacts into the USA on 10 metre SSB .
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am

Of course some bands are alot more easy to work DX on than others , 20m is known as the DX band and even at one of the lowest Solar minimums in living memory worldwide communication has still been possible  , as regards distance that really has to be put into geographical location /number of operators  etc , working Brazil is further than Tajikistan I would guess but the latter I count as my best on 10m SSB this year ( so far ).

richs1882 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 am

Martin mate,

You're quite right, the first time someone experiences 'proper skip' on their CB's they will freak out and won't believe it! Smile

I remember well going to the Chelsea Bridge run in London many moons, (flipping decades!), ago and a guy had a bootful of mid band AM CB's in his yank tank American car, of course illegally selling them Wink
I was so stoked I borrowed money from my pals to buy one of these 'exotic' CB radios and plonked for a shiny silver General Electric. That was the CB bug bitten!

I'd fair old gotten into it, chatting to new radio mates, sitting up til the small hours on the London nets, everything CB.
So the first time I had more noise than usual and this American accent voice breakthrough I was perplexed. I gave him a shout thinking he must be on one of the East Anglian air bases......No, he was sitting in his farmhouse in......the good old US of A!

I remember swearing at him and telling him he could sling his hook with his "wind-up"...took him quite some chat to finally convince me he was actually in the USA....How could that be possible?

One of the 'old-uns' on a London net explained 'skip' to me with avid interest. That was it, I had to get me a sidebander and that as they say, was that Smile

If it's a good season, those that have never experienced it are going to be super stoked! Then those blissful stories can start all over again.

Of course, years later someone tried to 'explain' it to me with his "Fine Business, Old Man, Hi-Hi" attitude, (you can guess can't you?)

Solar cycles mean different things for different people....

That's why I posted this in the 11m/27MHz DX discussion Wink

Polar-E, Sporadic-E, Equitorial-E, Sunspot, whatever.....for us CBers it just plain old exciting as hell SKIP.

All the best,
Victor

John123 and Nik70UK like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Chefsdead
Contributor
Contributor
Chefsdead

Call Sign : 26-CT-3891
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Doncaster
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N .. Yaesu ft450d

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 pm

Watch this 

NUBSTER, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Fingers crossed it will be a good cycle with lots of contacts.👍👍👍

Sydthecat and Chefsdead like this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am

There has not been a SC transition since what might be classed as reliable records began ( SC10 ) like SC24>SC25 , there have been minimums where the nadar year of spotless days have been higher than the 274 in 2019 and there have been SC with a higher spotless day count than the -1 year or +1year but there has not been one where all three years have been so high so take the following with a pinch of salt.
We are now in the second year of the new Solarcycle  and the spotless day count for this period for the big cycles since SC10  ( SC11,18,19,21,22) had either ZERO spotless days or for SC11 two spotless days. The mid range group ( SC 10,15,17,23,20 ) ranged from 2>20 and the low group (SC12,13,14,16,24) ranged from 24> 45 spotless days in the second year. We currently are on 25 spotless days and only in February so on that evidence if indeed it is evidence it looks like being a low cycle but even that will have a good few years where the higher HF will be open world wide.
"The Sun does what it wants not what humans predict." 
ps the guy in that video hasnt a clue LOL
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Theres a couple of small spots atm in the North West of the Sun , which can be clearly seen on the SDO HMI intestity image https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/latest_4096_HMII.jpg .
The spots are small at the moment and would also need to stay for 24 hours ( ish ) to be given a number.

Chefsdead likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?   DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DX - Sunspot - Solar cycle 25 - Not as bad as it looks?
Page 1 of 1